The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not necessarily desperate, but indications are that I will be if there’s no improvement in product availability, so as **** Jagger sang, You can’t always get what you want! I ordered 1000 bullets, 38 Super, 121gr JHP .356” diameter. I’m guessing if I can load Berry’s plated, which are .356” I should be able to develop some loads for a jacketed bullet the same diameter. If I use 124gr JHP recipes I may find something in the mid range that works for me.

I recall posting about 4 boxes of 38 Super ammo that I bought in error a decade ago. Advice from multiple parties was to break it down and use the projectiles for 9mm range fodder. Guessing this is a similar scenario. Of course, I still haven’t broken down the loaded 38 Super ammo...who knows? I may obtain a sweet 1911 in that caliber one day...just so I don’t waste that ammo. Ji ji ji.

Load length may be an issue, due to the 38 Super profile versus 9mm, so I’ll err to the softer side while I work things out (assuming the bullets actually ship).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SAAMI groove diameter specs are so close for 9MM/38 Super/.38 Spcl./.357 Mag. I wouldn't loose any sleep at all over using .356" diameter bullets. But don't want to waste that loaded ammo, buy a Super;)
View attachment 226332
Are these Supers? Hard caliber to find...didn't even know it existed until my ammo arrived (thought I was ordering 38 Special - Super, Special, both superlatives).

I could probably afford a Rock Island Armory 1911 in 38 Super...but they seem to have become scarce as well.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I once bought a box of. 356" . 38 Super bullets by mistake. Checking my load data for similar weight bullets, I loaded them for . 38 Special. They worked fine. But I didn't repeat the mistake.
I did later get a 9mm Largo caliber Star Modelo Super. I bought brass and bullets specifically for it. Used some. 38 Super brass for it too, loaded to Largo specs. Worked fine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, The 1911s in my photo are all 38 Supers. Since 1970 or so I've owned several, mostly Colts, but Kimber and STI too. Supers will never be as common as the most popular centerfire pistol cartridge on the planet, the 9MM. But they have not been hard to find within my experience. Some of the factory Super loads are not really much more ballistically than 9MM, so I consider 9MM more practical. But with some smaller manufacturer "Boutique" ammo, or hand loads, rather impressive ballistics are achievable with the Super. I hand load the Super and 124/125 grain bullets at 1450+ FPS and 147 at 1250+ FPS are easy to achieve. I don't say it's better than this or that other cartridge, but I still enjoy loading and shooting the old 38 Super...

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Interesting! We received 2 cases of .38 Super a couple of months ago at the store. Haven't sold a single box. Always have to be cautious as people think it's .38 Special. When they see it and try to buy I have to explain it won't interchange.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Colt introduced the 1911 type pistol in '29, chambered in the same old .38 ACP cartridge. Initially, it seemed hunters and target shooters were the target audience, no pun intended. While the Super 38 pistol was introduced in '29, the first mention of the higher velocity Super 38 cartridge itself was in the December '33 American Rifleman according to Sheldon's book. Interesting history, and still viable pistol cartridge that might be a fun addition to your arsenal...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts