The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
The barrel is probably good for another build later on you might be able to salvage the bolt also obviously not the carrier. Wait where is the bolt?
Oh you'll love this. Look at the original picture I posted - Above, to the right of the ejection port cover, leaning against the piece of wood. It's now a two piece bolt. The poor firing pin is just hanging out of what's left of the BCG literally wedged inside the upper.
I stand corrected too - The barrel is toast, I found a picture of it. Gonna be tough to get another bolt to lock up in there.
Automotive lighting Hood Headlamp Automotive design Motor vehicle

Discussion starter · #22 ·
That another reason I crimp my 300 BLK. A good crimped round has a better chance of not letting the bolt go closed. I don't take my 300 BLK guns to the range at the same time I have my .223/5.56 guns.
I think you're absolutely correct that a properly crimped 300 would not have allowed the bolt to close. Lesson well learned. I still do take a bunch of AR style rifles with me every time though. I'm just very careful about what I think my friends know, and what they really do know.

Reactions: Gudaki
I think you're absolutely correct that a properly crimped 300 would not have allowed the bolt to close. Lesson well learned. I still do take a bunch of AR style rifles with me every time though. I'm just very careful about what I think my friends know, and what they really do know.
Almost everyone I talk to that reloads .300 BLK doesn't crimp them. Yea some of my gun friends talk the gun talk real well but I'm not sure they know all that much by watching their actions.

Oh you'll love this. Look at the original picture I posted - Above, to the right of the ejection port cover, leaning against the piece of wood. It's now a two piece bolt. The poor firing pin is just hanging out of what's left of the BCG literally wedged inside the upper.
I stand corrected too - The barrel is toast, I found a picture of it. Gonna be tough to get another bolt to lock up in there. View attachment 266502
Wow the bolt split in half was it mil spec? Looks like the brass is stuck in the barrel if you could get the brass out it would be useable. I made this one useable again
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Alloy wheel Finger Rim

Wow!!!!! I am happy to hear no one was injured!

I learned a hard lesson just like you. Used to shoot with a guy from work (a former Marine). He had a HUGE collection of military rifles, and shot a whole bunch. One trip out shooting, I brought a 7mm 93 Mauser and also my M1A. He asked to shoot my M1A, and seeing as how he was a Marine trained on the M14 and (I figured) as knowledgeable as me on firearms - I said "Sure". I had my M1A ammo in bandoleers in an ammo can, and the 7X57 ammo in a butt pack in plastic boxes.

Soon, as I was shooting the Mauser, I hear this guy laughing like a maniac. He says "I never saw a SLAM FIRE M14 before!" I'm like WHAT?? Turns out the 'expert' took 7X57 Mauser ammo (from boxes in the butt pack marked in large "7X57 MAUSER") and was trying to fire it from my 7.62mm NATO M1A. Every time he released the bolt the rifle slam fired.

I fired that M1A in many Service Rifle Matches. Lucky neither him or the rifle suffered any damage.

My friend - you learned the same lesson I did: Anyone fires YOUR rifle - WATCH THEM LIKE A HAWK. Even if they claim they know what they are doing and swear to it on a stack of bibles - Watch them every second.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Wow!!!!! I am happy to hear no one was injured!

I learned a hard lesson just like you. Used to shoot with a guy from work (a former Marine). He had a HUGE collection of military rifles, and shot a whole bunch. One trip out shooting, I brought a 7mm 93 Mauser and also my M1A. He asked to shoot my M1A, and seeing as how he was a Marine trained on the M14 and (I figured) as knowledgeable as me on firearms - I said "Sure". I had my M1A ammo in bandoleers in an ammo can, and the 7X57 ammo in a butt pack in plastic boxes.

Soon, as I was shooting the Mauser, I hear this guy laughing like a maniac. He says "I never saw a SLAM FIRE M14 before!" I'm like WHAT?? Turns out the 'expert' took 7X57 Mauser ammo (from boxes in the butt pack marked in large "7X57 MAUSER") and was trying to fire it from my 7.62mm NATO M1A. Every time he released the bolt the rifle slam fired.

I fired that M1A in many Service Rifle Matches. Lucky neither him or the rifle suffered any damage.

My friend - you learned the same lesson I did: Anyone fires YOUR rifle - WATCH THEM LIKE A HAWK. Even if they claim they know what they are doing and swear to it on a stack of bibles - Watch them every second.
"Yep" it was a costly mistake, but fortunately not a painful one. I take a lot of new users out to introduce them to firearms and have always followed a hard rule of One on One. I have split husband and wife teams into two trips so they have my undivided attention. I assume they know nothing and I watch every action they take. Everyone has fun and goes home safe.

After this and a few other "things I've seen" I make no assumptions about my fellow shooters.

Always crimp .300wh rounds....
I don't allow a 5.56 and .300 to be on same table at my home range,a few people did'nt like it-too bad....

Always crimp .300wh rounds....
I don't allow a 5.56 and .300 to be on same table at my home range,a few people did'nt like it-too bad....
Me and a coworker were talking about crimping yesterday. I'm not a reloader, but I'm trying to learn. He wasn't a fan of crimping. I guess this is a situation where it would come in handy! :oops:

I don’t know anything about 300BO. I am surprised it would even chamber the round being 30 cal into a 5.56 chamber. Am I missing something here?
We must be Firedog.
Here is a picture of two 300BO side by side with two .223/5.56 rounds. The 300 BO is made from cutting down the 5.56 and resizing the case to 30 Caliber. You can see in this picture how the 300 could be stuck into a 223 chamber without a whole lot of trying if it were not crimped:
Office supplies Bullet Ammunition Wood Gun accessory

Here is a picture of two 300BO side by side with two .223/5.56 rounds. The 300 BO is made from cutting down the 5.56 and resizing the case to 30 Caliber. You can see in this picture how the 300 could be stuck into a 223 chamber without a whole lot of trying if it were not crimped:
View attachment 266540
I was thinking that the brass would be cut back far enough to allow the 300 to chamber. I would think that the bullet would be just up into the lands.

Ahhh. I see, said the blind man to the deaf person! As I don't shoot either cartridge I didn't know the BO was shortened. Now I understand.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
I was thinking that the brass would be cut back far enough to allow the 300 to chamber. I would think that the bullet would be just up into the lands.
You are correct that the .308 bullet would not fit into a .223 chamber. But in this situation I suspect the bolt slamming home drove the .308 bullet into the 300 Blackout case - thus allowing the bolt to lock into place so the firing pin was allowed to strike the primer. The massive pressure ended up pushing (squeezing) that .308 bullet into the .223 diameter barrel.

In this case, no pun intended, I had loaded Sierra 30 cal 125gr HP Matchking into factory new virgin brass. As this particular bullet is smooth walled, no cannelure, I did not crimp them. In my humble opinion, crimping a smooth wall bullet deforms the bullet and degrades it performance.

I think nothing of having my .223 Rem rounds right next to my 300 Blackout. I wouldn't think twice about having my .270 Win next to my odd six, even though a .270 will chamber and fire in a 30.06. What I will never do again - is to allow anyone else to use my firearm or ammunition without my inspection.

Reactions: BlackEagle
Me and a coworker were talking about crimping yesterday. I'm not a reloader, but I'm trying to learn. He wasn't a fan of crimping. I guess this is a situation where it would come in handy! :oops:
I only crimp for semi-auto....I don't for bolt gun in .300Wh,but I shoot completely different bullets in each.

I think nothing of having my .223 Rem rounds right next to my 300 Blackout. I wouldn't think twice about having my .270 Win next to my odd six, even though a .270 will chamber and fire in a 30.06. What I will never do again - is to allow anyone else to use my firearm or ammunition without my inspection.
I don't agree with this at all. Having two different calibers on the shooting bench at the same time is an open invitation to an accident. Only takes a moment to reach and grab the wrong one. I look at it like keeping clutter off of my reloading bench when I'm reloading - if I'm not using it for what I'm doing - it doesn't belong there.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.