The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,971 Posts
I'm curious if there is anything more to the lettering on the barrel pivot lug.

·
Registered
11,497 Posts
I believe it says Flobert 5 m/m, these are it's ammo
Hand Wood Font Nail Gun accessory

Slightly smaller than a .22 short and it has no gunpowder, just the priming compound to propel the bullet. They were used indoors.

·
Super Moderator
29,971 Posts
I believe it says Flobert 5 m/m, these are it's ammo
View attachment 259975
Slightly smaller than a .22 short and it has no gunpowder, just the priming compound to propel the bullet. They were used indoors.
I can enlarge the picture clearly on my phone, and I believe that you are correct. You can make out a lot of Flobert. And that's definitely a 5.

·
GUNZILLA
8,040 Posts
To me it looks like a 6 since the lower have of the numeral in enclosed. Run a little water or oil and it should darken enough to make sure and as Howln mentioned I can make out Flobert.

·
Super Moderator
29,971 Posts
To me it looks like a 6 since the lower have of the numeral in enclosed. Run a little water or oil and it should darken enough to make sure and as Howln mentioned I can make out Flobert.
You may be right on the 6.

Reactions: ms6852

·
Registered
17,651 Posts
It is a six. In Europe the 22 Flobert cartridge is called the 6 mm Flobert.

Reactions: sharps4590

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
There is no front sight or rear sight. It mite be used to kill food animals such as sheep or small pigs with a head shot by pressing the muzzle against the top of the skull. I’ve seen somewhat similar guns but larger guns used by veterans to put down sick or wounded farm animals. Or it is used as a starter pistol for Olympic type track and field foot races.

·
Registered
11,497 Posts
So much for being a last ditch volkspistole. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
There is no swastika under the eagle and no other proof marks, it predates 1893.

There is no front sight or rear sight. It mite be used to kill food animals such as sheep or small pigs with a head shot by pressing the muzzle against the top of the skull. I’ve seen somewhat similar guns but larger guns used by veterans to put down sick or wounded farm animals. Or it is used as a starter pistol for Olympic type track and field foot races.
There is no gun powder in the cartridge, it was used in parlors and gardens where you couldn't use full power ammo to shoot targets. Think 1800s BB pistol that uses the primer instead of a spring to propel the BB.

Reactions: sharps4590

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
A long time ago my dad worked for the post office delivering registered mail on horse back. He once described to me that he was given a cheap single shot pistol to scare away dogs while delivering the mail. The pistol was a 6mm rimfire and was not much more than a noisemaker. He claimed that if you could hit a rabbit at 10 yards , you would need a second shot to put it down.
Maybe that is what your pistol was used for.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
There is no swastika under the eagle and no other proof marks, it predates 1893.

There is no gun powder in the cartridge, it was used in parlors and gardens where you couldn't use full power ammo to shoot targets. Think 1800s BB pistol that uses the primer instead of a spring to propel the BB.
Yeah I went back and took another look. Mark me up for another goofball post.

·
Super Moderator
29,971 Posts
I see no latch, is the barrel held closed just by spring pressure from that flat bar on the bottom?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts