The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, last winter I bought a sporterized .303. Im unclear of any of the markings on it. Can anyone help me identify what it is exactly and what I can do to unsporterize it. I did remove the scope mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
that one is too far gone for any practical restoring to original military configuration, There is really noting you can do about those scope holes. The barrel has been shorted also. JMHO and I've been wrong a few times

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Hi Braden, welcome from Sitka, Alaska. Unfortunately the barrel's been trimmed back to eliminate the bayonet lugs. Outfits like Numrich, Liberty Tree Collectors etc. have pretty much everything you'd need to restore the rifle to original configuration, but the bobbed barrel and scope mount's holes would spoil the picture.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Braden, welcome from Sitka, Alaska. Unfortunately the barrel's been trimmed back to eliminate the bayonet lugs. Outfits like Numrich, Liberty Tree Collectors etc. have pretty much everything you'd need to restore the rifle to original configuration, but the bobbed barrel and scope mount's holes would spoil the picture.
I could always bob a stock to look like a m94 Carbine!

I have to agree with RJay. That rifle is too far gone for a restoration.
On the bright side, you do have a good deer/moose rifle.
It is a great deer rifle!

The rifle was made by Savage. No4-MK1.
It was made for the lend/lease program to the UK.
Even though it is stamped US Property none were ever issued in the US or to US troupes.
Is there any way to tell where it was made or what year it was made by the serial number?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I can't seem to find the production dates in my books. Sorry , maybe someone else will chime in and give you an answer.

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
They were made during WWII that narrows it down to within a few years. I have 2 of them but they are mixed parts gun rebuilt after the war.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts