The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I walked into a local shop the other day just to look around and noticed the USED racks were overflowing with rifles and shotguns (mostly shotguns). It seems a lot of people had traded in whatever they had to offset the cost of that AR-15 they were buying. Among the shotguns, was an Ithaca model 37
trap gun. 30" vent rib barrel with some of the most beautiful figure in the wood I have ever seen in a shotgun.....on top of that it was in 99% condition. A super smooth "tuned" action and a nice no-creap trigger. I couldn't find any wear to speak of and the bore was mirror bright....came with three screw-in choke tubes, nice checkering, an adjustable cheek piece and the deepest dark glossy blue you could imagine. No marks on the wood (which matched perfectly) and only one small hair-line scratch on the barrel. The asking price was crazy low......Me being an trader from way back, I made a ridiculous offer. (This was a consignment gun)...The shop guy gave the man a call and he accepted my offer. I won't tell what I paid for it....but I have seen plain-Jane model 37s that were well beat up sell for more. (most likely less than the cost of a barrel with three chokes)
My pictures are not the best (could have had better lighting) but you can get the idea). ....When you go into your local shops, take a little time to look over the USED racks......I have a feeling a lot of people sold off family treasures to score that AR...........Don

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Oh man is that pretty!

Yup, the used racks are always my first stop when I go drooling at the local shops.

I haven't scored any real treasures (especially not as nice as that 37!), but I have drug home several good "beaters" at very reasonable prices in the past month.

·
TFFWPP President
14,422 Posts
makes me wonder what the gun show is going to be like 2 weeks from now.

around here the used racks are just as bare as the new racks.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
makes me wonder what the gun show is going to be like 2 weeks from now.

around here the used racks are just as bare as the new racks.
Up here, the recent couple gun shows have been absolutely crazy high prices even on beaters...but that is the normal up here for us. I haven't scored a bargain at a gun show in at least a dozen years.

So far, we've still got decent used inventory at the stores I usually check. Sometimes the prices are good...depends on the shop owner and if you can dicker with them or not.
Just haven't found anything as purty as that 37 that 218Bee picked up. I'm still drooling over that!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.