The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For any interested coin collectors among us....,

The U.S. Mint is releasing their unsold inventory of the 'Mercury Dime 2016 Centennial Gold Coin' tomorrow, Dec. 15, at 12 noon Eastern time.

The entire mintage of 125,000 went on sale April 21 with an order limit of 10 per 'household' and sold out in less than one hour, many of which went to speculators.

Cancellations, incomplete orders, and other circumstances, however, have left the mint with some 6,000+ unsold examples. Though the mint's price for these is already rather high ($200. for a 1/10 ounce coin), this represents the last chance to acquire one without additional dealer markup by purchasing directly from the United States Mint at usmint.gov.

The item number is 16XB.
The order limit for tomorrow's sale is one per.

View attachment 112066

Still available...
View attachment 112067 View attachment 112068

at usmint.gov.

·
Banned
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do collect coins but not the gold stuff, can't afford it! $200 for 1/20 ounce is kinda steep anyway. I see advertisements every day for $124 1/20 ounce coins.

Not one for gold speculators, that's for sure.

I'd rather these had come out when gold was sub- $300., but I just had to buy the (quarter ounce) 'Quarter,' as it is just too purrty not to (I've always liked Standing Quarters).

I missed the initial purchase for the 'Dime,' think I'll give it a shot at 9:00:00 (Left Coast time) tomorrow. Problem is, then I'll have to resist buying the (half ounce) 'Half Dollar.'

·
Super Moderator
38,385 Posts
Actually, 1/20 ounce at $124 would be $248 for 1/10 ounce.
See where a typo can get you! I meant 1/10th of an ounce. The commercial is SOOOO misleading since they are showing people holding the full ounce Gold Eagles. If I were a first time buyer for them, I would be very upset to get one smaller than a dime instead of what they were showing on TV.

The only gold coins that I ever bought from the Mint was a complete set of the Gold Eagle coins and a "Buffalo Nickel" one ounce coin several years ago. For years I had an automatic shipping purchase set up on the silver eagles and the sets of circulated and proof coins. It was getting kind of expensive so I quit that a few years ago.

·
Banned
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See where a typo can get you! I meant 1/10th of an ounce. The commercial is SOOOO misleading since they are showing people holding the full ounce Gold Eagles. If I were a first time buyer for them, I would be very upset to get one smaller than a dime instead of what they were showing on TV.

The only gold coins that I ever bought from the Mint was a complete set of the Gold Eagle coins and a "Buffalo Nickel" one ounce coin several years ago. For years I had an automatic shipping purchase set up on the silver eagles and the sets of circulated and proof coins. It was getting kind of expensive so I quit that a few years ago.
No doubt about typos!

I bought the first gold 'Buffalo' on release date in '06, thought myself crazy for paying nearly $800 for an ounce of (what was then $600) gold, no limit mintage... sold it shortly after Bin Laden was whacked (made a tidy profit). I hadn't purchased it to speculate, but when gold went over $1400 I couldn't resist (cut loose of much of my common silver and gold at that point).

Some of those TV scams are amazing. And those guys hawking State Quarters incessantly... you'd think that after 17 years of selling them, these guys could learn to pronounce the word 'quarter.'

I get much more joy from my collection of Two Cent coins, early 'types,' and other numismatic items than from 'modern commemoratives,' but these gold renditions of the 'classics' are just gorgeous.
View attachment 112076
View attachment 112077

·
Banned
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

I did also buy the one ounce UHR, 2009 Ultra High Relief Saint Gaudens, (just had to) at the insane (at the time) issue price of $1200. It's so darn'd purrrty I just might be buried with it.
View attachment 112082

The mint surveyed me for my opinion on that one, I heartily approved (except for the price) and encouraged them to do this next, also in piedfort (double thick planchet).

Augustus Saint Gaudens pattern $10.
View attachment 112084

·
Premium Member
17,160 Posts
I do collect coins but not the gold stuff, can't afford it! $200 for 1/20 ounce is kinda steep anyway. I see advertisements every day for $124 1/20 ounce coins.
yep, the gold stuff is out of my range too. But i do have one of the original 1916 d merc dimes, worth a few bucks.;)

·
Banned
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep, the gold stuff is out of my range too. But i do have one of the original 1916 d merc dimes, worth a few bucks.;)
Ever popular, the '16D.

You can't go wrong with the 'key coins' to a popularly collected series. Filling the album with the 'common stuff' is relatively easy, the 'keys' will always be sought after.

·
Premium Member
17,160 Posts
Ever popular, the '16D.

You can't go wrong with the 'key coins' to a popularly collected series. Filling the album with the 'common stuff' is relatively easy, the 'keys' will always be sought after.
About 15 years i made a concentrated to finish all my sets. Cost me some cash but finished them all. Lincoln cents/Buffalo and Jefferson nickles/ Merc and Roosevelt dimes/ Washington quarters/Liberty and Franklin Halves, and Morgan silver dollars from 1878 up to 1890.

·
Super Moderator
38,385 Posts
I still have a few "holes" in my sets - I collected Lincoln Cents, Jefferson Nickels, Mercury/Roosevelt/Barber Dimes, Washington Quarters, Kennedy Half, and Sacajawea dollar. Also have a lot of commemorative dollars and half dollars. The last uncirculated and proof sets that I bought were in 2008 so all of my coin books end that year. I just lost interest in collecting them. I have a small safe crammed full of coins and silver certificates/other old paper money, when I die someone will have a field day with them. Knowing my kids, the ones that fit, will probably all go into vending machines!!

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
At one time in our history the President, Franklin D. Roosevelt made it illegal for private citizens to own gold. I don't know if all coinage was exempt from that, but bullion and other gold items were decreed verboten. The rate for gold at that time was about $32.00 per ounce, they were forced to sell it to the government for $16.00 per ounce.

·
Banned
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At one time in our history the President, Franklin D. Roosevelt made it illegal for private citizens to own gold. I don't know if all coinage was exempt from that, but bullion and other gold items were decreed verboten. The rate for gold at that time was about $32.00 per ounce, they were forced to sell it to the government for $16.00 per ounce.
The Gold Reserve Act of (January 30) 1934 raised the federal fixed price of gold from $20.67 to $35.00 per ounce. The act also required that gold coin, bullion, and Gold Certificates held by banks and private citizens be surrendered to the U.S.Treasury in exchange for Federal Reserve Notes (the reason for 1934 series $500, $1000, $10000, $100000 notes).

The feds paid $35. per troy ounce.

There were exemptions such as numismatic rarities, objects of art, jewelry, dental gold... .

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
The Gold Reserve Act of (January 30) 1934 raised the federal fixed price of gold from $20.67 to $35.00 per ounce. The act also required that gold coin, bullion, and Gold Certificates held by banks and private citizens be surrendered to the U.S.Treasury in exchange for Federal Reserve Notes (the reason for 1934 series $500, $1000, $10000, $100000 notes).

There were exemptions such as numismatic rarities, objects of art, jewelry, dental gold... .
I admire your knowledge on the subject.

·
Super Moderator
25,634 Posts
$200 for a dime?!? :eek:
I can go to the bank and give the teller $1.00 and she'll give me 10 dimes.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts

I did some addition research this morning and found what you had posted here, you beat me to the punch, my error.

·
Garandaholic
9,375 Posts
Collected coins since my grandfather got me started when I was 6.
Like anything I guess, my collection's scope is relative.
To most, I have an extensive collection. To some, I have a cute start.
I enjoy early coppers, 1793-1820, and Indian cents.
I have a thing for bust coinage in all denominations.
Same with seated coinage. Just find them interesting.
I finally completed my full set of Barber halves a few months back.
Of course I have all sorts to go with those. I was into Morgan dollars with "color" (ones that gained some rainbow tarnish while in the bag) for a while.
Barbers of all denominations as well as the halves.
I also had a "thing" for half dimes as well. I must have about 50-60 of them, the best being a nice ANACS ms-61 example.
I did buy some gold, but not so much for the numismatics, but for the gold. I wanted some gold so antique US gold tender was the way to go. I have a variety of lightly circulated to MS 1/4-double eagles. The ones that weren't already certified, I sent to ANACS.
I have about 20 ounces worth total.
And that brings me to my comment about the OP's post. If you want some gold and are into modern commemoratives, this is a chance for you, but I prefer original circulating legal tender. JMHO.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts