The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this might be in the wrong area.. but couldn't figure out where it should go.. so 'mea culpa' up front.

grandfather died last week.

family has been all riled up going back and forth.. I've been mostly staying out of the turmoil of the interfamily politics.. but finally something has come up and my name was thrown out..

here's the deal. grandfather had 2 rifles tucked in the closet. decades ago he had them on a wall in the family room.. but put them up apparrently. I thought he had sold them way back when as I never saw them again. from what i remember 1 was a nylon with the brown stock.. and the other was an engield. don't recall which type.. all i can see in my mind is that reciever and enfield mag.....e tc..

anyway.. grandmaa is wanting them gone. only 2 of us inthe family have much to do with guns.. so I liekly got dibs on 1...

question is which?

the nylon is obviously newer... I don't own one either. and I do have at least a few various enfields.

onthe other hand.. the enfield is a C&R gun like i collect.. could hav emore uses IE.. hunting if need be ( i have PLENTY of real hunting rifles.. so that's a stretch ). likely if I got the enfield it would be cleaned and put up on the wall to rememebr 'peepaw' the nylon would probably be use don the range as it's a cheap shooter in 22lr.

I'm leaning towards the enfield. 'paw dropped out of HS and went into the navy a hair young at the tail end of ww2.. retired around '70 or so. I don't know where he got the enfield. neither does 'nanny' it's quite possible he mighta got it when he was in the service.. dunno nobody does.

any opinions.

I'm not looking at either as 'value' as whatever I end up with is gonna be a keeper anyway..

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Which enfield are you talking about here? SMLE or 1917. you said something about a mag so a No1MKIII or No4MK1. Honestly Id take any of them. Nylon 66 is a good shooting gun. Im a sucker for a No1MKIII but thats just me.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
deffinately a 1/3 or 4/1 can't visualize if it has a shrouded muzzle or not. :)

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone know if that was the first composite reciever type gun?

·
Registered
17,288 Posts
Depending on how old the Nylon it, it could also be C&R. Started 'em in '59, so the oldest is 54. Well into C&R.

Depending on which model it is, it could be pretty valuable. Not only was it in four color schemes (Mohawk brown with blue barrel, Apache Black with chrome barrel, Seneca Green with blue barrel and Black Diamond - black with blue barrel), but they made a Gallery version, that fired 22 short.

I've heard you should not take them apart, though, as they are a thorough pain to reassemble.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
I'd probably go with the Enfield just because I happen to like them :)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
First, sorry to hear about your grandfather. If you already have Enfield type guns take the Nylon 66. Alpo just put them all out there for you. I have always wanted one but they are high dollar now if you find them in good shape. The Seneca green is the most rare followed by the Mohawk Brown. Whichever you choose Im sure it will have a special place in your heart.

·
Banned
957 Posts
Either would be nice, but i would choose the smile myself..... my local cabelas has .303 british on hand & in stock 24/7 ........

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
My cousin bought a mohawk from a garage sale about 5 yrs ago for 5 bucks. Old guy selling it thought it was a bb gun and so did my cousin . Surprise surprise

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
My cousin bought a mohawk from a garage sale about 5 yrs ago for 5 bucks. Old guy selling it thought it was a bb gun and so did my cousin . Surprise surprise
Well, they sure don't go for that price today!!!!!!! At gun shows they are "asking" $300 and UP.

However, I would go for the Enfield just to remember Gramps!!

·
Premium Member
13,254 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your grandfather. The Remington Nylons are superb rifles, and in nearly 40 years of gunsmithing I can't recall ever seeing one go sour without human intervention - as in "let's strip this puppy down to every last pin and spring". Beyond receiver cover and barrel removal for cleaning, they're nightmares to reassemble. That said, if it were my decision to make I'd go with the Enfield - whether P-14, US M1917, or one of the Lee-Enfield series. Once again, very sorry to hear about your grandfather.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
he's in a better place now.

has had bad knees since his discharge when a missle or some other munitions roleld out of a rack and crushed his leg. he fought with va for years to get a knee repalcement. they gave him pills and a scooter. finally he got someone to re-evaluate. by then he was diabetic and they turned him down.

thanks for the thoughts guys.

i'm letting the hornets nest at the families house cool down a bit before I broach the subject again.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think I would choose the Nylon. I have an Enfield, that I shoot a lot. And love every one. But the Nylon, That's a piece of history that you don't have yet. Either one would be a great memory of your Grandpa.

But, There is no wrong choice in this case....

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
I'm a bit partial to the Nylon 66 myself...as accurate as could be expected
and "was" before all the "ammo madness", cheap to shoot!

This one was my Dad's rifle (the rifle, right at 53yrs. old) that I got a few years ago and by the time
I got ownership of it, I basically had to re-build it as someone (down the line)
and over time, really made a mess of the insides. I've since, took off the scope
and it's open sights and the accuracy with the right ammo..very accurate.

Whichever one you end up with is and will be a great gift.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
There is a stupid pawn shop near me more of a junk store than a pawn shop, A we buy gold (and any other junk you crack heads want to sell us) kind of place. I stop in every now and again just to see what kind of guns they have. Yesterday I was in there and they had a Mowhawk that looked like it has never been fired. I asked the guy how much on the 22? Without batting an eye he replied. $700. I about fell over and realized there was no dealing with him if he was that high to begin with.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yep some places start pricing at about 2x retail and go up from there... :(

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok.. fast forward to today.

i was over at my grandmothers house fixing her riding lawnmower and push lawn mower. both craftsman.. but neither started this year. aired tires.. repalced plugs and fitlers. oil, sharpened blades.. etc. charged batteryies.. etc. got both mowers ready for action.

before i left my grandmother brought me into the den and showed me peepaws guns.

a #4mk1 enfield, presumably sporterized though still in 303brit. loaded and ready to go byt the way. a brown nylon.. also loaded.. :) and a winchester 16g 1200 pump.. again.. loaded and ready to go.

no one else in the family was remotely interested. they are safely at my house now along with a couple old boxes winchester 16g and 22lr ammo, and a very , very old remington 303 british partial box.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
stupid question. never having owned a nylon. i see it has a feed fromt he rear of the bolt area.. and i see thet 'knob' int he butstock and feel they are related.. but didn't want to break anything. knob rotates a lil each way under what feels like spring tension.. or plastic tension.. so i stopped messing with it till i find out more.

·
Registered
17,288 Posts
The knob should turn 90 degrees conterclockwise. Then you can pull it out to the rear. It is the end of the normal brass-tube 22 tube magazine follower, just like is on every other 22 tube magazine gun. Once you pull it far enough back that it clears the loading slot you just drop the shells in, bullet-nose forward. Then push the follower back in and lock it down with a 90 degree clockwise turn.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts