OAL question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by CJ7365, Apr 24, 2009.

1. CJ7365

CJ7365 Member

.223, 55g FMJ BT

Hornady manual says OAL is .200

when I seat the bullet to this length, the canlure is below the mouth of the brass, my brass is within spec. If I seat the bullet to the canlure, my OAL is .217

I think I know the right answer, go by the book, but on the other hand every factory load that I have 55g (PCM etc) the OAL is above .200

what gives??????

2. 3ME

3ME New Member

I may not be understanding the question, but I will try to help. I am confused by what you call "OAL" and the number of .217. Could that be a typo?

When I hear "OAL" I am thinking overall length. The maximum overall length of the .223 Rem round from the bottom of the case to the tip of the bullet is 2.26". If the bullet you are using has a cantilever, you generally want the mouth of the case and the crimp to be in the center of the cantilever. If anything, this normally will result in a round that is well short of the maximum OAL.

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

CJ, the Cartridge Overall Length (COL) of the .223 Remington with 55 Grain BT FMJ with cannelure bullet is 2.20 inches according to the Hornady manual #7. If yours is at 2.17 then you are within specs.

4. CJ7365

CJ7365 Member

Ok, let me apoligize for the mistake I have made, I was not at home when I was posting this and was not sure of the measurements.

You are right gdmoody, the Hornady book says Max COL is .220

and if I seat the bullet (55g) at this measurement the cannelure is below the mouth of the case.

and if I seat the bullet (55g) at the cannelure, the COL is .224

once again sorry for the confusion I have made

when I measure a PCM 55g .223 round, the COL is .227

5. Texxut

Texxut Member

Move that decimal, you're making us crazy. :confused:

6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Lee #1 gives OAL as 2.260.
    Speer #12 gives OAL as 2.260.

You might wanna look at that Hornady book again. And yes, put your decimal in the right place.

7. teddybaham

teddybaham New Member

hornady #7 is the same as the others have stated above. you obviously are confused. match the length to a factory load and go

8. muddober

muddober Active Member

CJ7365: You might consider putting the reloading manual down and read the directions on using your calipers and then start measuring things.:D

Ron

9. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

The OAL will vary a few thou. depending on the particular bullet. This is most noticable when loading round nose vs spitzer. A couple of thou difference in one spitzer vs another is no biggie. Crimp in the center of the cannelure. As our friends above have mentioned, that 2 inches that you are omitting can make a great deal of difference. The measurement that you are trying for is 2 inches 200/thousandths. Are you saying the seating in the cannalure will result in an OAL of 2 inches 170/thousandths? If so, this should not be a problem if it doesn' compress the powder althought it could have a serious impact on accuracy. 30/thousandths is a broad variation unless you have measured your particular rifle. I wouldn't do it as a beginner.

Are you using Hornady bullets with a Hornady manual? Please do spend a little time with the instructions that came with the caliper and a bit of practice on "getting the feel" might help. Something that we all have had to learn.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  10. gdmoody

I rechecked the Hornady book, and guess what - It didn't change:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The COL on that page is for the OAL the people at Hornady loaded that particular bullet to. That is not the same as Maximum OAL. I saw this tonight. Loading some 32 ACP, with 71 grain FMJRN bullets, over AA#2. The Lee book says the 32 ACP Max OAL is 0.984, but depending on which powder was used, with that 71 grain bullet, the OAL was either 0.984, 0.955 or 0.940.

You need to be aware of the difference between a certain load's COL and Max OAL.

12. gdmoody

Alpo, you are right the MAXIMUM in the Hornady book is also 2.260. I was looking at the page for that particular bullet and not the general information for the loaded cartridge, sorry.

13. CJ7365

CJ7365 Member

All right peeps, sorry about the decimal. When I posted the post I was away from my house, so I was posting at the top of my head, when I got home I realized what I did. Sorry again about the confusion I started.

I guess I should of looked at the book again and then another time before I posted.:eek:

Because I doing just what Alpo said, I was thinking that the max was 2.200 (decimal in the right place) instead of looking at the first page which clearly states 2.260

Thanks everyone for putting up with my inexpierence.

I am using Hornady bullets with the Hornady Manual.

After realizing that I was reading the informtion wrong and then reading the forum, I felt comfortable that my bullets were within specs, and they came out of the rifle without a hitch:D, I have to be honest, the head was turned and the rifle was as far away from me as possible.

I only made 5 rounds, I put the minimum load Hornady recommended 20.8 g of H335

Once again thanks everyone for your paitience

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  14. gdmoody

I loaded some .223 this afternoon with a 55 grain soft point bullet with 24 grains of Win748 until I ran out of powder. :( I then loaded up some more with 24 grains of Accurate 2230 until I ran out of powder. :( I am out of all the powder that I had that could be used in .223s. My local gunshop is out of these brands and Varget, too. I guess it will be a while until I load some more .223s!!!:mad::mad: