The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So any one here ever use any “off brand powders” ? Such as Norma, shooters world world. So it seems every time we run into lean times Norma and shooters world is always readily available. From what I can find Norma 300-B is almost identical to RL 15. I believe it’s shooters world percision is really close to varget. I put a big order in and I’m going to play with 3 different powders from Norma and 4 of the shooters world. Just kinda wondering if anyone has had much success with either brand.

·
Super Moderator
25,649 Posts
I haven't, but have heard good things about Shooters World,i in fact, I am planning on placing an order this week from Powder Valley.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I don't know about the Norma powders but Norma is a part of the RUAG group which is a pretty large company which does a lot of military contracts and using Geco and Norma for the private sales. I would expect them to deliver a quality product since that is what the Normal brand stands for.

As of Shooter's World powders, they are made by Explosia which is also a large powder manufacturer. They sell under the Lovex brand in Europa and they used to make the powder for Accurate. The powders they are sell are still very similar if not the same as the AA powders.

I have been using mainly Lovex powders for the last couple of years, mostly because it is available and affordable. Besides that I like them a lot.
What I mainly use is D032 (Clean Shot) for 9mm and .45 and D076.4 (AR plus) for .223.
I have also used some S062 (Precision) in the .308 but I prefer the 76 series because it meters a lot better. The D series is a fine ball powder and the S series are sticks.

accurate explosia.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
I haven't, but have heard good things about Shooters World,i in fact, I am planning on placing an order this week from Powder Valley.
Hey not to bash powder valley cause I order from them as well but, graff & sons has $12.50hazmat fee and you can ship up to 60 lbs

I don't know about the Norma powders but Norma is a part of the RUAG group which is a pretty large company which does a lot of military contracts and using Geco and Norma for the private sales. I would expect them to deliver a quality product since that is what the Normal brand stands for.

As of Shooter's World powders, they are made by Explosia which is also a large powder manufacturer. They sell under the Lovex brand in Europa and they used to make the powder for Accurate. The powders they are sell are still very similar if not the same as the AA powders.

I have been using mainly Lovex powders for the last couple of years, mostly because it is available and affordable. Besides that I like them a lot.
What I mainly use is D032 (Clean Shot) for 9mm and .45 and D076.4 (AR plus) for .223.
I have also used some S062 (Precision) in the .308 but I prefer the 76 series because it meters a lot better. The D series is a fine ball powder and the S series are sticks.

View attachment 235390
Thanks for the info vassago, I’m thinking if I like the rifle powders I’m going to just try the pistol powders cause why not.

·
Premium Member
11,154 Posts
I'd hardly consider Norma or Vita-Vohouri...or however you spell that....off brand powders. Both are a couple of the most respected names in the business. Both powders often become preferred. They just aren't as popular in the US, often because of availability.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Try enough Sharps, in Europa Vithavuori is the go to powder for most shooters.

What I forgot, the downside of using Loves/Shooter's World powders is the lack of load data. You only have S.W. or Lovex data to go by, it is not listed in any manual or by any bullet vendor.
On top of that the Lovex data is pretty limited whereas say the Vihtavuori data lists a wide range of bullets and calibers.
Case in point, I like to load 100gr. FMJ bullet with a fast powder for my 30-06 (1903a3). V.V. lists the bullet and a variety for powders whereas Lovex only lists the most common bullet weights. 168gr. and up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd hardly consider Norma or Vita-Vohouri...or however you spell that....off brand powders. Both are a couple of the most respected names in the business. Both powders often become preferred. They just aren't as popular in the US, often because of availability.
I guess better terminology would be less common powders. All I was trying to get at is powders not made by the “big 3” every one seems to publish data for the big 3 and not as much for the smaller guys. Out of the 4-5 loading manuals I have no Data for Norma I had to get it off there website.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I use a lot of Shooters World powder for my larger rounds. At around $150 for 8# jug I save a lot of $$$ for the same amount of ammo loaded.

·
Premium Member
11,154 Posts
I know you're fairly new to all this...and it is mind boggling sometimes...however, neither Norma nor V.V. are small even by US standards. That they are less well known in the US is true.

·
Super Moderator
25,649 Posts
i do not remember seeing Norma ever. was this just the area i shop in or is it not widely distributed?

rick
Must just be the area that you shop in. I see it randomly in my travels.

Reactions: sharps4590

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i do not remember seeing Norma ever. was this just the area i shop in or is it not widely distributed?

rick
It is not stocked locally but I can order it no problem. I have to drive about 4 hours to find larger stores that stock reloading supplies.

·
Super Moderator
38,414 Posts
I saw some Norma powder yesterday at the Sportsmans Warehouse and see it on line all the time. I have seen shooters world but never considered buying any because of the lack of data!

·
Premium Member
11,154 Posts
When things are....Norma-l, I can get most Norma powders at one of 2 or 3 shops. V.V, I see very little of it locally. Used to see quite a bit at gun shows....in Norma-l times.....:D

·
Super Moderator
25,649 Posts
I've been eyeing up the Vectan powders on Grafs site a little while, may just give it a try.

·
Premium Member
11,154 Posts
Got any Alcan or Hi-Vel?......:D

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Way back in the 70's I shot a 7mm Rem Mag and the best powder in it was Norma 205! But they had problems with consistency so I was told and 205 disappeared. I don't know about the rest of the Norma powders, never used them but I suspect they were good powder's. I find trying new powder's a chore. I know what I can do with my old powder's and seldom change. I do use two Reloader powder's, RL-19 and RL-22. Took a long time but a powder I found I really like in 243 is H-414. Only reason I tried it was because durning the last shortage, it was about all I could find! Think it's a 5# can, sorry, jug! Another powder I tried after trying it was W-760 and then only as I kept reading it and H-414 were the same powder. Well I'm not so sure of that as I've found loads for both in the same manual for the same bullet's and the loads were a bit different.But by starting low and working up watching pressure, I could use the data for either to load.

About what is called "off brand powder's" I don't use them for no other reason that the old powder's I use work! I got into RL powder's just out of curiosity. Got into H-414 because at the time it was all I could find! I'm not a big experimenter. Something I learned with H-414 and W-760 is how well ball powder's actually do meter from a powder measure.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Haven't shot any Norma, Vectan, or Shooter's World powders, but I'm a big fan of VihtaVuori powders, and now even more so as I've located a local stocking gun shop. Sadly, I can only get the 1lb containers, but every order for N320 I placed through the big online sites were cancelled. Although pricier than other powders, I've found them all to be clean, and mostly pleasant shooting...my recent experience with 3N37 and 40 S&W notwithstanding. Some post that N330 is the ideal 9mm powder for versatility, and I was able to get a 4 lb jug when I could buy a thimble of N320. I'm still planning on working up some 9mm loads with it, but I got sidetracked once my newly found lgs got in plenty of N320. Oh baby I've missed you!

N105, N110, and N120 are also nice powders for .300 AAC Blk, though I haven't tried N105 as yet. N110 and H110 have similar applications, though you'll find the cost difference of N110 is more than made up by lighter loads...as much as 1gr less for the same velocity.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts