Off the wall question. Delivery pizza

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hkruss, May 2, 2009.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

So if you order delivery from pizza hut, papa johns, etc..., they tack on a $2.00 delivery charge. I've asked the delivery guys, "does this money go to you?", and they all say no. None of them has given a clear answer on what the charge is for. If the delivery guy does not get it, I would assume the company does, but why? The company does not provide cars or gas for the drivers.
    I always tip the drivers, but I would like to know if they really do get the delivery charge or not, so I wont be scammed into tipping them more out of guilt.
    Not an important question in the grand scheme of things, I know. Just one of those little things that p*** me off!!
    Anyone know the real answer?

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  2. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Usually, if there is a delivery charge it goes to the driver, in order to insure they get at least something for the delivery.

I worked for Pizza Hut when in college, and we used to get 50 cents for each delivery. Any tips on top of that went to us as well.

My brother had a shop for a while and I delivered for him for about a year. He'd give me a dollar per delivery.

this is also on top of the minimum wage which employers are required to pay.

So, I think they're not being truthful.

3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I asked a Pizza Hut delivery driver the same question and he told me they don't give him the money directly but they get paid a small hourly rate. I guess Pizza Hut is passing on the hourly rate to customers in the form of a delivery charge.

Now I have a question for you and others. I always tip well, pizza delivery, waiters/waitresses, haircuts...but there is one time I don't really want to tip, but it makes me feel like a cheapskate not to. That is when you go into the pizza shop to pick up your pizza and theres a tip jar on the counter. Another place is at the donut shop. Now i wouldn't tip at a fast food place...so why tip when you go to the counter? Yet I almost feel obligated. One more...I dont have a washer and dryer and i don't like to take the time to fold my clothers after I wash them so I drop my laundry off at a laundramat. One woman there always hints around and all but asks for a tip. The other employees dont. What are the rules on these places?

4. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

As far as Pizza Hut goes, my experience is from 10 years ago. But being the corporate giant that they are, I doubt that policy has changed much. There was your base pay: minimum wage, plus the per delivery amount - which was 50 cents. Then, if you got tipped, you got to keep it, whatever it was.

If the pizza place is tacking on a delivery charge on the bill - then - IT GOES TO THE DRIVER, plain and simple. The driver is telling you it doesn't, hoping to get MORE money.

Now, having been a driver, I normally tip pretty well anyway since I know what it's like. I never tipped less than $3 for ANY delivery. More for larger deliveries.

But, if they're lying, I'm not going to reward dishonesty.

As far as other businesses, I would ask the manager - like for the dry cleaning place. I don't leave tips anywhere, where I'm picking up the food. That's just uncouth to ask for that at the counter.

5. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Man I don't know good question.

This morning I was just pondering why on a cell phone bill there are 6 surcharges and 9 state/county taxes with ridiculous titles. On a $200 family phone bill these little hidden fees add up to about $20.

State-Hearing Impaired Charge
    State-Univ Serv Assessment
    Federal-Univ Serv Assess Non-LD
    Administrative Charge
    Regulatory Charge
    State-Margin Fee Reimbursement
    State-911 Tax
    County-911 Tax

To name a few. Not to mention the fed, state, county, and city taxes (I don't even live in a city). Plus taxes from a state/county I no longer live in previous to the state I lived in before where I live now. I wonder if just owning property in places allows them to tax your cell phone too.

6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I delivered for Papa Johns on 2007. While the delivery charge doesn't directly go to the driver, it really does. The driver gets paid minimum wage, and the delivery charge covers that. Then the driver gets 5.5% of the cost of the orders delivered as a gas stipend. Then the driver gets all the tips.

On really slow nights, I made about $12/hour. Usually it was closer to $17/hour.

7. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

I worked for Papa Johns on and off for a year (full time over the summer) a while back and we got minimum wage, plus like 25 cents per pizza (this went up as gas went up, it might have been 50 cents and gone up to 75, but whatever, not much). If we had to drive real far for a delivery they would bump us up a quarter or two [this is also how our assistant manager got fired, he bumped all deliveries up and was keeping the change for himself :eek:]. And of course tips on top of that.

I would make anywhere from minimum wage to $25 an hour. Probably averaged about $15 or so (keep in mind minimum wage here in WA is huge, was like $7.50 back then).

FYI, 9 times out of 10 if your pizza is late it is not the driver's fault. I got yelled at so many times for late pizzas, look, I pick it up off a shelf and bring it to you. I wasn't even allowed to make pizzas, if it took them longer to make your pizza, it was no fault of my own. Sure it's a team effort, oiled machine and all that... but next time your pizza is late, don't automatically think it's the driver's fault :D.

8. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    When I was a professional driver for Pizza Hut I got min wage, and half the deilvery charge on my check each week plus my tips. At the end of each quarter I got the other half of the delivery charge in a bonus. Three months of deliveries made for a nice little bonus! When I worked for a small mom and pop pizza shop I got paid min wage plus tips. Thier delivery charge was a buck and I got that for each delivery when I cashed out at the end of the day. It always made me mad when I would go to a really nice place and they would tip nothing at all. I went to one house and the lady wanted her change back. It was only 30 something cents but she made me count it all out to her.

9. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I like pizza. But not the thick kind, the thin ones and not with all the stuff on, just cheese, tomato and off course anchovies.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2009
  10. Anchovies??????? :eek: Those salty little fishes would gag a maggot at 100 yards, Tranter! :D When you make it here to Colorado, I'll make you a REAL pizza: at least three kinds of cheese, Italian sausage, Pepperoni, Salami, and the pièce de résistance, Portuguese Linguisa saugage, along with olives, onions, and mushrooms. :D

11. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

MMM anchovies! It has been a long while since I had them on a pizza. I like them but most places load them on way to heavy. I think one per slice is enough for me.

As for delivery pizza or even take out ... once a pizza is put into a box it is fundamentally ruined as far as I am concerned. I like my pizza thin crust and straight from the oven....no steamed pizza for me.

12. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

The thicker the better, supreme. If they got good quality, shrimp and olive is good.

13. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

A Pistol pizza special? Tempting, very tempting. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2009
  14. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

Since this thread has been hijacked already..... I shall weigh in on pizza preferences. As much as I enjoy pepperoni, I do like a quality ham (no swine flu jokes please!) with pineapple and green pepper...mmmmmmm!

There is a place in So. Cal. that has the most fabulous crust...I've never had anything like it, ever. And the restaurant decor is the MOST unusual I've seen. (I'd give the url to their site, but not sure if that's permitted.) All in all, eating there is an experience!

Darn....now I want some!!

15. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Anchovies AKA sewer bass are great on pizza or in a good salad