The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was priming some casings and got a primer stuck kinda sideways in the primer hole. Its also at this point kinda deformed. It sticks out enough to where I cannot slide the case off the holder. I am scared to keep playing with it and having the primer go off. Do I need to toss the case and the holder?

Here are a couple of pictures, I know its kinda hard to see but I hope you get the picture

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
No bid deal, it happens to all of us from time to time. Just run it thru the depriming tool. I catch mine, flip them over right, seat em, and shoot em!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How will I get it in the deprimer tho? Its stuck in one of the hand held priming shell holders. Wont fit in the press.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Take the whole thing and soak it in some penetrating oil for a few hours. That'll kill the priming compound.
Remove the decapping stem from one of your sizer dies and use it to punch the primer out.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Good advice, thank you.

WD40 considered to be a penetrating oil/fluid?
I have used WD40, but like RustyFN posted, it can take longer to do the job. It's not so much of a penetrating as a lubricating oil. Not really thin enough to creep in and get at the priming compound I suppose. Give it a couple days if that's what you've got to work with.

I usually use Kroil, but PB Blaster and the LiquidWrench brands work too. Basically, any petroleum-base penetrating oil.

I have used diesel fuel too (I grew up on the farm so #1 or #2 diesel is a universal cleaning fluid. :)).
Do NOT use gasoline though!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I have that same prob. occationally, just run it through the sizing/decapping die. It'll pop right out...

Or just tap it out with a depriming rod, like used with a Lee Loader.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts