Oh Poop! Extra Parts

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Firpo, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Okay, all joking aside. I'm in a real tight spot and will be having nightmares about this until I get it figured out. As I shared in another thread I've been cleaning guns for the last couple of days. Well I decided it was time to pack things up when it happened. Yep, I picked up a rag and found this here part. Now I don't recognize it, I didn't remove it that I knew yet here it is and I don't have a clue to which gun it goes let alone where. Here's a list of suspects and if you recognize the part please let me know. I was having one of those days where everything I touched turned to crap and I forgot not to touch too much. I've cleaned a......

Arisaka T38
    Winchester M1917
    1903 Springfield
    Polish P64
    Beretta Mod 70S
    Winchester Model 06

Here's are a few pictures of the part and please don't be shy. I gotta get this fixed.

IMG_0396.JPG IMG_0397.JPG IMG_0398.JPG

2. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Fripo, i think it's off your 90/06. I think it's a magazine tension spring. Go to numrich parts and then go to winchester schematics. i think it's sku part 228300. It goes in your outer mag tube. Sometimes the tubes will be slotted, but some of the older ones fit in the tube. i think it keeps pressure on your inner mag tube.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    One Shot, grcsat, nmckenzie and 2 others like this.

3. Firpo

Bingo, praise the Lord and may He bring a special blessing to you. I swear I have looked at schematics for two hours and couldn't find it. That's great Joe and can't thank you enough.

One Shot and joe45c like this.
  4. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

All my magazine tubes have a couple of long slots cut in them. Like i said i think they keep pressure on the inner tube so it will stay in. Not sure how your part will stays in. good luck with it.

One Shot and Firpo like this.
  5. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Glad Joe was able to point you in the right direction, it seems like what ever problem we have someone on this forum knows the solution.

A little off topic but in the same vein of leftover parts back in my miss spent youth I was into the street racing/hot rodding scene and a buddy was overhauling a small block Ford engine, he had all the nuts and bolts in a pan soaking in solvent to clean off all the gunk. When he wasn't looking I grabbed a couple of bolts and a nut or two and tossed them in the pan.

6. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

Now that is what I call a warped sense of humor.
    And it sounds like something I would do.:D

7. Firpo

That's just not nice. How long did it take him to figure out you had messed with him?

Also, glad to report the 90/06 is back together without any leftover parts. I was paying such close attention to the receiver end I didn't notice that darn little piece fall off the muzzle end. What was crazy was that I checked everything I had cleaned and they all functioned just fine....as they should have as that little doodad has nothing to do with the action. I felt like a complete doofus and of course my father is standing next to me. I can tell you this, I'll probably never forget what that part looks like nor where it goes.

Now I can sleep well. Thanks again Joe.

8. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Grizzley, as far as car parts, i seem to always have a few extra screws and nuts left over when i get done working on my cars. Or some always find their way down in some little crevice of the engine compartment.:eek:

9. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Once slipped a ballpoint pen spring into a tray of 1911A1 parts, just to see if the pistol's owner had been paying attention during a disassembly/reassembly demo. He hadn't. :)

Broot, crystalphoto and joe45c like this.
  10. Firpo

You guys are baaaaaad. Glad I was never around you when I was taking anything apart.

Broot, One Shot, grcsat and 3 others like this.
  11. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

He figured it out when he was cleaning and organizing the fasteners, I did get my payback when I was installing a fresh engine in my Duster and prepping for initial fire up and cam break in. He took an empty beer bottle and set it on the floor about 1/4 of an inch from the collector on the header, when she fired up I could hear this loud metallic clinking coming from the bottom end of that brand new motor. ;)

nmckenzie, Broot, Firpo and 3 others like this.