The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one remember, going out hunting. There is snow on the ground, snow on the trees. You are walking along nice and slow, enjoying the quiteness, and the bueaty of every thing. Then, all of a sudden you feel a clump of snow, hit your collar. The snow goes down your coat, onto the back of your neck. The joys of hunting in the snow.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Does anyone remember the joys of participating in a local DCM / CMP high power rifle shooting qual match event???

A solitary loud voice issues range commands "ready on the left - ready on the right - ready on the firing line - you may commence firing"

Battle rattle commences - a massed mixed volley of of rifle fire fills the air - LC69 is consumed and expended and its Powder burns leaving that distinctive scent in the crisp cold fall air...

That initial unique solitary distinct once heard never forgotten "PING" of the empty enbloc metal clip being ejected from your rifle - your Garand signals you are empty and the action locks back...

Like a symphony of holiday bells other pings are heard - soon an overlapping aural cacophony as other shooters on the line run empty and clock out...

At this seemingly perfect moment in space and time seems to stretch out for your appreciation a single solitary .30 06 case - HOT to the touch as it removes waste heat from the action as it is ejected while the rifle cycles arcs out from your left and lodges between the high stiff collar of your shooting jacket and the skin on the back of your neck...

It was a pleasure to burn.

Mike

·
Premium Member
12,361 Posts
Does any one remember, going out hunting. There is snow on the ground, snow on the trees. You are walking along nice and slow, enjoying the quiteness, and the bueaty of every thing. Then, all of a sudden you feel a clump of snow, hit your collar. The snow goes down your coat, onto the back of your neck. The joys of hunting in the snow.
Yes, and I miss it.

·
Super Moderator
10,781 Posts
My son was 7 or 8 the first time I took him pheasant hunting, I let him wear the bird vest loaded with ammo and pack a toy 94.
He was a real trooper considering he got snow in his boots and his socks were soaking wet, that didn't matter to him.
hunting.jpg

·
Registered
256 Posts
Did you make him carry some birds in that vest? I remember going rabbit hunting before I could carry a shotgun. I was the dog, coming home with scratches everywhere from the briars. Loved every minute of those days, and couldn't wait to go again. Good memories, are what life is all about!!!

·
Premium Member
17,938 Posts
My son was 7 or 8 the first time I took him pheasant hunting, I let him wear the bird vest loaded with ammo and pack a toy 94.
He was a real trooper considering he got snow in his boots and his socks were soaking wet, that didn't matter to him.
View attachment 241681
Your son looks so small in that vest that it makes those shotgun shells look like they are 10 gauge.;)

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
I was out yesterday hunting the elusive large mouth bass. No snow & the temp was in the low 70's with a light NE wind. We are coming off back to back cold fronts so the bass have been real skittish. After a few near misses, I got one to take a good bite. It was the only one I got back to the boat during my 3 hour hunting expedition. This is what that mean critter looked like when I calmed him down.
tempImageLUQRL4.jpg

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hawg, belive me, you have never lived untill you have had a clump of snow drop down, inside your collar, and go down the back of your neck. It can really wake you up.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
That why my hunting coat has a hood on it. But I have sat in my tree stand & had the dew freeze on the branches above me & as the morning sun comes up to warm those branches. I get a slow DRIP, DRIP, DRIP water torture as I trying to listen for the soft steps of a deer. LOL

·
Premium Member
19,593 Posts
I used to go ice fishing with my dad and his partner. They would drive a car on a frozen lake. No tent or heat to stay warm. I had no gear or clothes to survive let alone be warm. I knew better than to whine to my Dad about this. They never seemed to be cold. I absolutely hated it.

Reactions: one3
1 - 16 of 16 Posts