The Firearms Forum banner

ok another 223=556 reloading thread

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  vassago 
#1 ·
I searched the forum but these are so common, even browsed about 20 pages got some info but not quite what I was looking for

I just got my first AR its a 223 Wylde, 1/9 I fired some Federal 223 today, I got some Freedom Munitions 5.56 on its way, both 55 gr, where do I begin?

I noticed right away there is no such thing as 5.56 dies, since this in my only rifle in these calibers what die set should I be looking for, I have Lee for my pistols, they do Ok for a newbie, but I noticed 2, 3, 4 die sets, which ones should I be looking for, do I need full length dies, or just neck resizing dies?? any recommendations?

when it comes to powders which one is the favorite, and what exactly am I loading, the 223 brass is easy, the 5.56 guess I could load as 223, but is there any point to higher charges, is there data on it?

primers I am assuming small rifle, how about bullets, where have you gotten yours lately?

#2 ·
Get .223 Remington full length dies. I use the 2 die set from Hornady for my M&P 15.

Haven't settled on a powder yet, but H335, BL-C2, CFE223, and 8208 xbr are good performers.

I've been using Hornady load data, for 55gr and under I follow the .223 section, for 69gr and above they have a separate 5.56 section with higher max pressures. No idea why they don't have a 55gr 5.56 load.

I use CCI #43 primers, but their small rifle magnum primers (#450) would work well too.

Xtreme has some affordable .224" 55gr bullets, but MidwayUSA has bulk options too. They all seem to work fine.

#3 ·
You will need a full length sizing die for the sizing portion. Neck sizing would be great for a bolt action but not for an auto loader.

The Hornady #9 manual has loads for .223 Remington, .223 Remington Service Rifle, AND another for 5.56 NATO. It is my understanding that with the Wylde, you can shoot either one of these loads.

I like and use the CFE-223 powder myself, but I do keep a supply of Win 748, Varget, and IBM 8208 XBR.

I buy all of my 69 grain .224 bullets from a place called Bullets.com, they seem to have the best prices on the heavier ones I shoot. I buy all of my 55 grain bullets from Xtreme. A piece of advice for you - stay away from all those solid copper bullets, they ain't worth the lower price!!

Give me until tomorrow night before you order or buy any dies. I recently bought a new set of full length .223 Lee dies just to use ONE of them, but for the life of me I cannot remember which die I bought them for. I will look out in my reloading building tomorrow after Church. If I can find it, I will be happy to send you the die I am not using. That way you will only need to buy one die and not a whole set.

#4 ·
You can buy rifle in 556 that will shoot 223 and 556.

556 is almost the same as 223.

You can find load data for 556.

But you should load to 223 specification.

556 military loads will shoot at higher pressures than 223.

there is lots of info on this subject. but you will have to search 556vs223 to get the info.

dies: if your shooting your rounds in a semi auto then you will need to full length size your brass. Its up to you what you buy. 3 or 4 set, i would get the 4 set which should include the factory crimp die which you should use for semi auto rifles also.

Search 556 vs 223 ammo for your answers.

#5 ·
I use Lee full length dies and their awesome factory crimp die, check out Titan reloading, they usually have the best prices as they're right down the road from Lee.

As a reloader, there's pretty much no difference for us between .223 and 5.56. The only loads you'll find listed as 5.56 are just max .223 loads.

I buy my bullets from Rocky Mountain Reloading, fast shipping, great prices and they include shipping in the cost on the website. I used to use Xtreme but their prices have crept up steadily until RMR beat them.

My favorite powder is IMR 8208XBR as it's pretty much the least temperature sensitive powder out there, but CFE223 and BL-C2 work great too.

#10 ·
Like others have said, .223 Remington dies. Your Wylde chamber will shoot anything that's .223 and 5.56. Powder? Man there's so many it's a crap shoot there, pick up a couple that seem to be suggested quite a lot and see how they work for your rifle, same with bullets.

I literally read every evening for weeks researching different things before I started rolling my own .223 and lots of trial and error in powders and bullet combos after. Heck, there's still powders I want to get around to trying. :D

Good luck, be safe, and have fun. ;)

(And yes on the Lee FCD, it is good. It's LDBennett approved :D)

Reactions: texdon and dbcooper
#11 ·
appreciate the replies, its pretty much what I hoped for, I know there are several options and I figured this would narrow my search, I appreciate the offers for a die or 2 but likely I'll end up with the Lee 4 die set, save them for the next guy, from what I can tell the neck only sizing die in that set is the only one I cant use at this time. maybe a bolt action with a longer barrel is next on my list.

so sm rifle or sm rifle magnum primers and some of those powders mentioned, I need to start looking for, last time I got dies was from Grafs, I'll have to see what they got for bullets on sale, I usually plan these things ahead of time and order several things at once, saves on shipping.

I never got bullets from Extreme, thou I have their bullets bought at a gun show, and loaded Fredom Munitions rounds, purchased 9mm from RMR, and like them might be due for some more, I got to start casting at some point, but the 223 is not one of them I suppose, way too fast

#18 ·
As gdmoody mentioned the 55gr FMJ from http://xtremebullets.com are a great value and a good bullet for plinking.

Sign up for their mailing list as they have 5-10% off sales all the time and even free shipping.

I also use their 9mm and .40s&w as range fodder. :)
I have 500 5.56 reloaded rounds coming in from Freedom munitions, pretty sure they are Xtreme bullets, I anso have their 9mm new rounds and a box of 500 158gr 38 cal xtreme bullets I picked up at a gun show, absolutely nothing wrong with any of it,

check out RMR, http://rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets-...-55-gr-rmr-fmj-boat-tail-new-100/#prettyPhoto

better price, shipped, I got their in house 9mm bullets not too long ago, I'm no expert but they looked and functioned fine for me, I may want some more

also Grafs http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...5*bdDhwg|a:1:{i:0;s:18:"_swat_form_process";}

I got dies, powder measure and a scale from them last time as they were cheaper by 30% delivered than the vendor at the gun show I paid $6 to get into, they have some deals especially pay attention to the 40 gr, jacketed hollow points, 7c/rd, any experience with those?

oh man here I go again, what a great Idea, Get an AR, they are pretty reasonable and this one in particular was cheaper than most ask for an SKS these days, knowing very well that I will stock up on ammo, reloading supplies and tools, none of which I had before

now wait a minute I just realize something, the Lee sets have a resizer and a bullet seater for the 2 die, a FCD for the 3 die and a neck sizer for the 4 die, What about the mouth expanding powder through, is that a pistol caliber only gig, I only have the auto drum powder measure, I need more stuff don't I?

#20 · (Edited)
so I need some other way of dispensing powder than, that auto drum is capable of up to 80gr loads, this is odd what else would that be for other than rifle loads.

something don't make sense here, Lee says the auto drum is for either pistol or rifle, in one of their videos it shows a bottleneck rifle cartridge, how do you use this powder measure with rifles when they don't make a die for rifles?

got it I need one of these too : http://leeprecision.com/long-charging-die.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.