Ok Baby Boomers, Remember back when

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jacksonco, Apr 4, 2009.

1. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

we were exposed to all kinds of dangers as kids and survived to live another day or so? Thought it might be fun to make a list.

1. Riding our bikes with out a helmet.
    2. Walking home alone after dark
    3. Didn't come home from the hospital in a car seat.
    4. Lead paint was every where.
    5. Had toys that ran on 120 volts
    6. Got chemestry sets for Christmas.

This is just a start. I know this list can be greatly expanded. Have at it folks. :D

2. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I used to hitch hike to the beach everyday during the summer and never had to worry about it.

3. artabr

artabr New Member

At 12 years old, I could walk across the school yard with a shotgun and hunt in the fields behind it without triggering a lockdown and SWAT rollout.

We could go to the park by ourselves and not worry about the perverts.

Art

4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

We would play as children with toy guns or air rifles and the adults, many of which were WW2 and Korean Vets would smile. Instead of the young parents of today who turn pale when a kid produces a toy gun.

5. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

I went to summer camp and they had a rifle range.... I hung out at the range for most of the summer....
    :D

we had 4 channels on tv....in black and white.....

we played outside all the time.... and when it rained, we played board games with tiny little parts and pieces.....

6. topper

topper New Member

bought my first gun at the ripe old age of 13. i walked in a sporting store and bought a remington .22 rifle and a box of ammo. things were very different in the early 1960's.

Keep both barrels loaded.

7. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Down here in the south we had a lot of fun running in and out of the fog created by the truck spraying for mosquito's. We didn't know it then, but that was DDT!!! Taking my shotgun, and shells, on the buss to school, so I could ride my friends buss to his house, and spend the weekend hunting with him. I was in the woods hunting with a .22 at the age of 9, all by myself, and I'm still at it 51 years later!

8. 94z07

94z07 New Member

I think there is stratification now. Consider the typical brood of hand-washers sitting with their X-Boxes the lower strata and the UFC, Super Motto Cross, and X-Games types the upper strata.

9. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I remember when:

The front door was almost never locked, even when we left the house.

Riding the bus across town by myself at 9 yrs old.

Taking off on my bicycle and being gone all day only checking in at lunchtime or dinner. In the evening it was "head for home when the street lights came on".

Taking my .22 to school on the city bus on days when we had rifle team practice.

10. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

Living in the country one always walked, no one gave you a ride to anywhere unless, maybe, on the tractor!
    Most of us probably drove something with a gas engine in it by the time we were 8-9 yrs. old and no one ever said anything--we didn't see any police either!

11. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

When we played sports or games there was a winner and a loser. If you lost you would try harder next time.

Used to have dirt clod battles and swung on grape vines in the woods.

wnt into the woods with hatchets and chopped down trees to build forts with.

12. carver

While reading your post I had a flashback to a time when we sat on the fender of the truck, or car, and drove down the roads at night using the vehicles lights to spot, and shoot rabbits. I wrecked my first car, a 1950 Chevy, when I was 13, going too fast!

13. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I can remember the good ol days when my mother drove to town to buy a brick of 22's for me to shoot ground squirrels with, at the age of 9 I would be gone with the rifle all day, my dad would pay me 5 cents per tail.

KID WITH GUN ! GONE ALL DAY :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

14. carver

Same here ysacres! I wasn't huntin ground squirrels thou, I was actually putting meat on the table. I shot about everything there was to shoot with that old .22, septen maybe deers and such. If it flew, walked, ran, or craweled, it wasn't safe till I went home!

15. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

I posted this when I first joined the forum.....

ahhh....the good ol days!

For Those Born 1920 - 1979
    http://thefirearmsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this has gone around in emails for a while but it's fun to look back and smile.

Enjoy!

THOSE BORN 1920-1979

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because,

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were OK.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computer! s, no Internet or chat rooms.......

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cuts, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good .

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

The quote of the month is by Jay Leno:

'With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?'