Ok, Help me spend my money...

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/23/02 3:14:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Ok, Help me spend my money...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ASSUMING my wife lets me spend the whole $250+ from my Astra sale....and since I am "between jobs," theres no guarantee of that...BUT....

...I thought it would be fun for you guys to "advise" me on how to spend it.

Keep in mind I collect Mosin Nagants, BUT a CZ50 or 52 might catch my eye, as well as a .32 ACP cylinder for the M95...or maybe a "shooter" Swiss straight-pull...or maybe a MkIII Enfield, or...????????

Keep in mind SOME of the money has to be "reinvested," i.e., buy something to sell/trade to keep the limited "Collection Kitty" going...i.e., I'm NOT going to spend the entire $250 on ONE gun to keep....

Right now I'm leaning towards one of the $129.99 91/30s or 38s from Aim to keep...and a couple or five of the 44 "parts guns" from SOG to refinish and see what I end up with, keep a "shooter" to turn into my "scout" and sell/trade the rest...and if any money is left over mebbe buy another tin of x54 ammo....

But why not give me more ideas?

I'm also kinda leaning towards buying another "cheap" Astra....
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Bob In St Louis
    (1/23/02 3:34:16 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Ok, Help me spend my money...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Beings as you are so close to SOG, I would go there and sort through their parts guns. Get some M44s and Turkish Mausers, fix em up, keep the best and sell the rest. Their Enfield No.1 Mk III rifles are a real sleeper too - they look like hell, stocks pretty beat and caked with old grease, and a lot of the metal work painted brown - but for $89, clean them up (laquer thinner takes off the paint and doesn't effect the blueing - which is usually really good beneath the paint) refinish the stocks, get some stock arsenal disks and screws from Springfield Sporters (get the $5 ones with Arabic writing - they look neat) and voila - an $89 rifle becomes an $160 rifle.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

LIKTOSHOOT
    (1/23/02 3:45:17 pm)
    I gots me a C&R rifle today, can`t wait to get it delivered. A unissued Mossberg M44US unfired and never reworked or parkarized...BRAND SPANKIN NEW!!! This is going to be my new 150 yard project rifle. 7 shot boltgun .22LR.....with a 26" HB and micro-peepers. Watch out camp squirrels, gonna lift yer tail with this one............LTS

AntiqueDr
    (1/23/02 4:03:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Ok, Help me spend my money...
    Hey, $250 sounds like a good down payment on one of these Gold Cup Trophys...

heheh
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Xracer
    (1/23/02 4:57:06 pm)
    Too many choices.....too little money!

polishshooter
    (1/23/02 5:10:14 pm)
    Hey LTS I had one of them Military Mossbergs one time..excellent condition, but no mag.

I traded 25 Case pocketknives for them, seconds, that I bought through my Bro-in-law when he worked there for $.50 each.

I had it for a month, never fired it, never tracked down a mag either, then sold it at an OGCA show in Columbus Ohio for like $60....

Wish I'd a kep it........but then again, I've sold a TON of guns over the years I can say the same thing about....how about a NIB Ruger SuperBlackhawk .44 I bought for $175, and sold a week later for $225, EXACTLY three weeks before Ohio announced they were going to allow handguns for Deer the next season....

...and we won't talk about my DCM Garand....(sob)
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Edited by: polishshooter at: 1/23/02 5:14:44 pm

TallTLynn
    (1/23/02 9:10:28 pm)
    polish - you want my Enfield you can have it - but you get to fix the bolt and pay shipping.
    TLynn

polishshooter
    (1/24/02 12:19:27 am)
    What's wrong with the bolt, T? And whats the scoop?

While far be it from me to look a gift horse in the mouth, I'm sorry, you will NOT "give away" any firearms, thank you very much!!!

If you want to sell it to me, that's one thing, shoot me a price...BUT you can get replacement bolts for $20-30, maybe less, and with a headspace guage at about $10 or so, you could be back in business for less than $30 or so...unless you blew it up or something...but I didn't hear you say anything about it so I doubt you did...

What's up? Let me know, I'd like to help you...

I need to get into Enfields though...I like them too...

TallTLynn
    (1/24/02 12:28:38 am)
    polish didn't blow it up - never got to shoot it. The bolt will not stay engaged in the shut position (and before anybody says anything - I did put the right bolt in the right gun). I had to do some serious looking at both bolts but the one for my sporterized version was changed so it's not quite like the one in the other Enfield.

And right now I'm not sure I have the enthusiasm for the older guns polish. They're heavy, hard for me to hold right now and I'm wondering why I want big guns. Maybe when the weather improves and I can actually move my hands and feet without them aching or tingling all the time I'll feel different - but I'm not sure.

Tye gave me some advice on what to check on the Enfield - will do that this weekend when I have time (and better light).

But what I said I meant. I'm not going back on saying you could have it - not like it's doing me any good.
    TLynn

polishshooter
    (1/24/02 9:37:26 am)
    T, check your email...

I had an idea....

TallTLynn
    (1/24/02 9:44:24 am)
    polish - will check it when I get home tonight.

T out
    TLynn

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (1/24/02 1:26:36 pm)
    What about the deal on 5 turks @ $35 each plus free shipping? I have to hunt around to remember where I seen that at and get it for ya. Then turn around and sell them for at least $50 a pop. You might even get one that's all matching. Then you'll have even more kitty money....and more choices...Whoops I causing a problem now and not helping you with the original one.

The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

polishshooter
    (1/24/02 6:43:05 pm)
    Well, I thought about that...but I can get 5 91/30s from Aim for $35 each, and I pick up, so no shipping....

And I KNOW Mosins... But then sooner or later I havta get some mausers....good suggestion, FL...with no shipping, it's prolly Century, right?

I'm thinking it's perfect timing...by the time I get my money, I SHOULD have the new SOG flyer in my hand, maybe they'll start up the monthly specials...

Doctor Xring
    (1/24/02 8:21:01 pm)
    Hi Polish -

You said you like Mosin's. I have read some
    questionable post's about the new batch of
    91/30's that have come in. Some are happy,
    some are very unhappy. Seems about a 50/50
    mix.

Do you have a nice M39 Finn ? Wholesale Guns and Ammo
    has these right now, as new, for $169. I do not believe
    there is a better deal on a finer rifle with more prospect
    for future $ appreciation than these weapons out there right now. They are excellent shooters and have a fantastic history associated with them. WG&A are good folks.
    www.gunsnammo.com

I have four now and they are all wonderful.

good luck with whatever you choose, DXR

Bob In St Louis
    (1/25/02 8:26:16 am)
    Wholesale Guns & Ammo has free shipping on most of their 5+ deals. Their Turkish Mausers are $39.99 each. They have one deal I have been eyeing - the MN 91 rifles, with bayonet included, $59.99 free shipping on 5+. I figure you can get the MN 91s cheaper elsewhere, but the bayonets alone are worth $25 to $30 at the shows - makes for an excellent package deal.

polishshooter
    (1/25/02 12:26:24 pm)
    Yeah, I've been eying them to...Hhmmm...

I thought you had trouble with Wholesale before, Bob?

But DocX says he recommends them highly....Hhmmm.

They DO have the best deals on M39s I've seen in a while, like $70 for a VG...

If I can scrape together $300 I might just do the 5 fer deal on the 91/30s...

But then, I can get like 7-8 parts M44s from SOG at that price, and I DO have the time on my hands now to refinish them and fix them up...and if I sold 5 of them when I'm done for an average of $60 each...Hhmmm..

Have you guys ever noticed...it just hit me again...

That it doesn't matter WHAT you sell or how much you get for it....

...you ALWAYS end up a little short for what you want to buy with it!!!

I mean, if I sell a ratty 91/30 for $50...I find a GREAT 44 I need to buy for $75....

And now that I'm getting $250 for the Astra....

....I need $300...

When does it EVER go the other way...like...Gee, I have an extra $50, how about that?

Edited by: polishshooter at: 1/25/02 12:30:58 pm

TallTLynn
    (1/26/02 12:50:37 am)
    Actually I have noticed polish. My advice is get what you need or want.

Now about that e-mail? Still waiting.

T out
    TLynn

Zigzag2
    (1/26/02 7:12:33 am)
    Hey Polishshooter, you've got that figured out to a "T" (no pun intended)
    Seems like I'm either a dollar short or a day late

“I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.” “To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.” --George Mason

Bob In St Louis
    (1/26/02 7:26:18 am)
    Polish - I never have had trouble with Wholesale Guns and Ammo (Burns Brothers) - it was dealing direct with Century International that I had problems with.

polishshooter
    (1/26/02 7:09:17 pm)
    T, I'll try again...

I used your old e addy and it came back...and I haven't had time to resend it...

Well, less than an hour left, and no other bids on the Astra...HEY LTS, send some of those "dollar poppers" to AA in about a half an hour or so...