The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to open a can of worms, from what I've seen on you tube that is what happens. I am ready to go start shopping for a new (for me) semi auto pistol. Looking for either a 9mm or .45. Due to a very limited budget $350 absolute tops. I have looked at and fired a Hi Point C-9 and .45 . Also a Taurus .45 I believe it was a model PT111 ? Liked both. The Hi Point was new. The Taurus was used and $80 more than the Hi Point. I am open to experienced (have shot these) opinion. Haters please no. I have watched countless videos on both companies seem about 95% or more positive. Let it fly I guess. And thanks in advance for keeping the discussion intelligent and civil:D

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
I have a Hi Point C-9. It is a great gun I fire 124gr though it. It fires everything that I have used. Hi Point also makes a 40 and 45. Now its finding 9mm ammo. That the problem. Im looking at a Hi Point 45. Also a good point they are made in America. and have a life time warranty. They may be ugly, but they shoot. You should really look into them. Another point is if your involved in a shooting. What would you rather give up to the cops. A $200 or $1500 gun?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Yep. This will probably be a can of worms. Always is when you as for opinions. :)

My personal experience with the HiPoints is they are good "last-resort" type pistols. Don't look for long-term longevity out of them. There are way too many die-cast aluminum/zinc and stamped sheetmetal parts in em to have a long lifespan. When they're fairly new, they are a dependable machine.
BUT...I've noticed that they do have way too much wear on the fire control parts after 2000 rounds or even before. Things start wearing and binding, making a lousy to start with trigger pull even worse.
My recommendation on a High-Point...pretty much any old beater DA revolver is a better deal than a HiPoint and it'll last longer too.

Taurus. I don't care too much for their new models either but they're definitely higher up the list than than the HPs. I can't give any specific good or bad points on any of the polymer-frame Taurus pistols...have never shot one.
But with the PT1911 and 92 series', I've owned and shot quite a few. No complaints on those for the pricetag.

Keep a close eye on the used rack at your local shops and you will probably find something that will your budget.
I just dragged home an EAA Witness 9mm for $350+tax the other day. Almost like new except for ugly marks in the finish from an ill-fitting Kydex holster.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's a good start. I have an acquaintance that has a H/P .45 way over 200k rounds thru it. no visible wear. It's is actually his league pistol. I am open to getting the best I can afford regardless of brand. XD Ruger P95 or what ever. If it fits my big hands and is dependable as a learning tool early league home defense weapon. I ok with it. And you're right 9mm is getting hard to find already. That's why the interest in 45. plus I've always wanted one

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Ruger P95...........built like a tank

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
I don't have much experience with the Taurus. As for the Hi Point, I would probably pick something else myself, but for the money, they're a great value. Lifetime warranty and they cost, what, $150 new?

·
Registered
890 Posts
You might also look at Bersa and Kel-Tec models if you are staying in the inexpensive realm. Other than that look into used Ruger P series pistols. Built like tanks and usually/formerly priced reasonably.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
actually have found two I'm looking at. 1 is a kel tec P 11. used for $229. I understand the s&w 5906 hi capacity mags will fit it and that would solve the grips being too short for my hand. I like my pinky on the gun. The other is a nearly unfired Hi Point jhp .45. Guy bought it and the recoil was too much for him has maybe 2 magazines through it. Looks new inside and out. It's $ 138. Both have good and bad, the kel tec would be a good concealed gun. I like the way the hi point feels better. recoil isn't an issue for me

·
Registered
890 Posts
The p11 isn't a bad gun once you get used to the heavy trigger. There are a few variations that work with the mag capacity. I carry a PF9 but don't recommend it to everybody. Mine is problem free but a few have had some feed/extraction problems. It's one that needs to be tried by the buyer before purchase.
Never handled the Hi Point 45 so can't say much about it. Have worked with a 380 model that worked good after the mis-shaped mag lips were fixed.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have never had a jam or problem shooting a revolver. 6 shots very fast. And if more is needed you can reload with a Speed Loader quickly. I have the Hipoint 9mm. Never had a problem using jacketed shells. Its the magazine you have to check often for proper alignment of the bullets to feed correctly into the gun. I like the lifetime warranty that comes with the gun when you buy it. For the money this the best buy I have made.

I also have a like new Lorcin 9mm. Sure wish there was a universal mag that would fit it. Some folks say these are a piece of junk. I say, "With proper care the only weakness with any semi-auto pistol is the magazine". I cant afford to shoot these guns more than once a month and then maybe only 15 shots at a time. So with proper care it should be able to last my lifetime and be ready should I need it.

·
Armed Infidel
1,470 Posts
I have Taurus 24/7 Pro C in .40 S&W. They also make it in .45. I love it and have not heard anything bad from anyone who actually owned one. Was built to maket to police and security personnel and is very reliable. I still have never had misfeed or misfire even with cheaper ammo. You cannot get a new one in your price range but maybe on used shelves as several have pointed out here.

·
Premium Member
34,287 Posts
I hate to open a can of worms, from what I've seen on you tube that is what happens. I am ready to go start shopping for a new (for me) semi auto pistol. Looking for either a 9mm or .45. Due to a very limited budget $350 absolute tops. I have looked at and fired a Hi Point C-9 and .45 . Also a Taurus .45 I believe it was a model PT111 ? Liked both. The Hi Point was new. The Taurus was used and $80 more than the Hi Point. I am open to experienced (have shot these) opinion. Haters please no. I have watched countless videos on both companies seem about 95% or more positive. Let it fly I guess. And thanks in advance for keeping the discussion intelligent and civil:D
If I had the choice between the Hi Point, and the Taurus, I would have to go with the Taurus. It is a better made gun, smaller, and lighter. And if I had to choose between the 9mm, and the .45, I would go with the .45. The 9mm is cheaper to shoot, but it doesn't have the one shot stop capability that the .45 has. Not saying that the .45 will stop a BG with one shot, that depends on where you put the bullet. But the odds are better for a one shot stop with the .45. Then again, I never shoot just one shot!:D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like most models of Taurus. I also like the Bersa /Firestorm. 45. Problem is I can't find any used around here. Had located a Taurus PT111, by the time I got there it was already sold. Keep on hunting for one I guess

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a Hi-Point JCP40 and had FTF problems. Found a vid on youtube about polishing the feed ramp and took the advice. I also dressed the top inside edges of the Magazines with a file as the ammo had resistance there while loading on to the feed ramp. After that, no problems, even with the steel casings!

I sold it and got a Springfield XD40 as the Concealed Carry Class would not allow Hi-points.

·
Registered
742 Posts
my edc is a sccy. it's a keltec clone, but fits my hand better. 9mm 10+1 and if you like your pinkie on the grip, you'll enjoy the base plate extensions. they had their problems in the beginning but the newer ones seem to have finally gotten the bugs out. imo, it's strictly a sd gun, accurate enough at 15 yards got around 500 rounds through it, and holding up well. great thing is the warranty, lifetime, stays with the gun not the owner. and no, i'm not a schill, just really like this gun

·
Registered
574 Posts
If you aren't hung up on high capacity magazines, dont overlook the Star BM, BKM, PD or Firestar. They are compact, extremely rugged, reliable, and usually a BM can be found in the $250 range. The Firestars are usually found in the $300 range, and the PD and BKM should also be in this same range. The BM and BKM are 9mm, the PD is .45 and the Firestar is available in 9, 40, and 45.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone the info has been helpful. Some options there I hadn't considered. Getting close to buying one. Probably by Wed or Thurs. this week. I'll post what I buy w/ pics. The forum has been everything I had hoped it would be. I may still end up with the Hi Point because of cost. Been out of work for a month. So everything I can save on this I can can use for other things. But the H/P isn't my first choice anymore. Without the help I wouldn't have had the options.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.