The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I know slightly more about rifles than I did a week ago, and on the advice of a friend of a friend who I understand to be highly knowledgeable about rifles I made my purchase today.

So at the gun show this morning anything that was black and looked tactical was marked up unbelievably high. in some cases $1,000 higher than it would have been a month ago.

So my adviser friend, after asking me lots of good questions about what I was really looking for, not what I think I want, recommended an M1A preferably by Springfield Armory. I found an absolutely beautiful example of one, with all the original accessories to go with it. The outside looks absolutely perfect and mint. I don't know what to look for in the barrel but I brought another friend who does, and he felt it looked just as mint inside as it does out.

It's a long rifle, but I don't consider it too heavy at all given my size and fitness level. I understand it is super versatile, and when I get around to doing some hunting one day I think it'll take down any critter in North America.

So a couple questions: Is it possible to learn any history on it by looking up the serial number? And also what do you guys think of the M1A by Springfield?

I am sure that I paid too much ($3,000 with all the bells and whistles - talked him down from $3,200), but as long as I didn't get totally hosed I don't care too much. Just mostly want to make sure i have a first rate piece of equipment that'll last a lifetime.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
so my question is; have you shot it? I would think it is a 30-06. If it is the weapon I am thinking of it has served many quite well.
Here are some things to consider. Can you get ammo? Is it accurate? Is it reliable? Do you have the proper cleaning equpment? Have you taken the proper precautions at home to keep it safe; ie away from criminals and children? Have you taken a safety course to protect those around you?
Make sure you have the proper safety equipment, ear protection, eye protection, and a safe area to shoot.
With that said, I hope you enjoy your purchase. Now it is on you to be a safe and responsible gun owner as are millions of other Americans. I suggest you join the NRA, support the others that own guns, encourage your friends and neighbors to join you, and above all else be careful.

I have been shooting guns all my life (age 65) and enjoy it just as much as I did when I started. On the same page, I also defended my life and property, as long as the life and properties of others by using a firearm.

Keep us posted on how you are making out, if you have been shooting, if you have questions, and details on you next gun.:)

fred

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
I suggest removing all the bells and whistles and shoot it with basic sights first. Then start putting the bells and whistles back on and learning them one by one. If you can't hit your target with the basic sights then the bells and whistles aren't going to make you more accurate.

As for price - well, the market is always what the buyer is able and willing to spend.

·
Premium Member
13,250 Posts
If it's a Springfield Armory Inc. M1A it's a .308, and a super versatile rifle. I've owned one of the composite stock, stainless medium heavy barreled versions for several years and love it. I'll second Mr. Smith's recommendation; if your M1A's loaded down with all sorts of tacticool (though kinda pointless) bells, whistles and widgets, strip her down to the bare basics and learn the rifle using the standard sights, then perhaps sell off some of the cool looking but marginally useful stuff to recoup some of your outlay. A word about Springfield Armory Inc; their customer service is absolutely outstanding. I've never had a problem with my M1A, but I have had occasion to order parts from them (hooded NM rear sight aperture amongst other things), and the items were on our front doorstep within 48 hours. As to your rifle's history, I believe SA will give you a manufacture & shipping date if you call them. Enjoy your M1A, they're really great rifles.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
You made a great choice.

The one thing I have learned is this, when I go shooting always save the M1A for last. Shooting AR's isn't as much fun after firing the M1A. Yes they are big and heavy but when firing them you understand why they are called a "battle rifle", they don't "assault" they kick butt.

My wife and I both love ours and they won't be buried or turned in.

·
TFFWPP President
13,899 Posts
I'd have a hell of a time trying to wipe the smile off my face after a session with one of those (jealousy)

·
Super Moderator
41,340 Posts
I don't know about that price tag, though. A buddy of mine bought one at our LGS for $1400 on December 22nd. That is here in Georgia and I don't know where you are. The one he bought had the black synthetic stock with no extra "crap" attached to it. If you got the synthetic stock one and want one that is more M-14 like, then go online to Fred's M14 Stocks and order yourself a nice Walnut or Birch stock for it. Here is the link: http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
it's $2k you will never need to spend again. pricey up front but not that bad if you're a gun enthusiast who spends easily that much every year on gun related stuff. Suffer for a bit and get one, you won't be dissapointed!

good choice, still my favorite rifle by far. I hunt with mine also. AR's and AK's are fun but when the M1A comes out, the others take a seat to be sure.

like SA's add, "bring enough gun"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so my question is; have you shot it? I would think it is a 30-06. If it is the weapon I am thinking of it has served many quite well.
Here are some things to consider. Can you get ammo? Is it accurate? Is it reliable? Do you have the proper cleaning equpment? Have you taken the proper precautions at home to keep it safe; ie away from criminals and children? Have you taken a safety course to protect those around you?
Make sure you have the proper safety equipment, ear protection, eye protection, and a safe area to shoot.
With that said, I hope you enjoy your purchase. Now it is on you to be a safe and responsible gun owner as are millions of other Americans. I suggest you join the NRA, support the others that own guns, encourage your friends and neighbors to join you, and above all else be careful.

I have been shooting guns all my life (age 65) and enjoy it just as much as I did when I started. On the same page, I also defended my life and property, as long as the life and properties of others by using a firearm.

Keep us posted on how you are making out, if you have been shooting, if you have questions, and details on you next gun.:)

fred
Great advice, and I have about half of the above done, and working on the rest. Money is tight right now, but I have resolved to join the NRA as a lifetime member as soon as I can muster up a few more dollars. This purchase cleaned me out temporarily, but the more I look into it, the more satisfied I become with my decision.

I think I have caught the fever, and I only wish I had 10 years ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suggest removing all the bells and whistles and shoot it with basic sights first. Then start putting the bells and whistles back on and learning them one by one. If you can't hit your target with the basic sights then the bells and whistles aren't going to make you more accurate.

As for price - well, the market is always what the buyer is able and willing to spend.
The more I look at it the less bells and whistles I think I wound up with. I got the standard 3 good magazines, the tools: cleaning rod & cleaning rod handle/wrench. Did come with a bayonet which is pretty cool, but will probably live in the included case most of the time. No bipod which would be cool at some point, and I have to pick up a strap, but it is so beautiful, mint shape, and feels so solid - I can't wait to get out to the range.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The more I look at it the less bells and whistles I think I wound up with. I got the standard 3 good magazines, the tools: cleaning rod & cleaning rod handle/wrench. Did come with a bayonet which is pretty cool, but will probably live in the included case most of the time. No bipod which would be cool at some point, and I have to pick up a strap, but it is so beautiful, mint shape, and feels so solid - I can't wait to get out to the range.
Buy a doping book you can use at the range. Makes it a lot simpler to sight it in, when you can mark all your shots and match them up with elevation and windage adjustments. You'll need somebody with a spotting scope to help with that, unless they have some kind of electronic gizmo or a warm body downrange to pull butts for you. I'd recommend sighting in either from a bench rest or from prone, at 200 meters initially. Then work up to 300 and 500 meters in various positions.

If I was in your vicinity, I'd offer to coach you (use to teach marksmanship to boots ) . But it's impossible to do it long distance. Try to find someone at the range to coach. :)

One thing you can do immediately is to run your windage and elevation all the way to one extreme, then count back the clicks to the other extreme. Divide each by 2 and click back that many. This will get your rear sight to center position as a starting point. Write it all down or memorize it so you can make adjustments from there.

PS: You can download and print out this one from the USMC if you like: http://images.marforrescent.multipl...?key=marforrescent:journal:108&nmid=460608772

·
Premium Member
13,250 Posts
No bipod which would be cool at some point, and I have to pick up a strap, but it is so beautiful, mint shape, and feels so solid - I can't wait to get out to the range.
Happy to hear you've at least three magazines. If things go sour on the legislative front they may become fairly expensive. As to the bipod, I don't own one for my M1A, but I have fired M1As and M14E2s with and without bipods, and found points of impact changed marginally depending on whether or not the bipod was installed. For what it's worth, if you decide to purchase a bipod for your M1A, get it direct from Springfield Armory if you can, because there are some real rinky-dink Chinese repro bipods on the market. They look good, are very attractively priced with glowing advertising copy, but they're junk. Enjoy you rifle, you've got a good one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts