The Firearms Forum banner

Okay, how'd I do? (Post purchase)

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  nmckenzie 
If it's a Springfield Armory Inc. M1A it's a .308, and a super versatile rifle. I've owned one of the composite stock, stainless medium heavy barreled versions for several years and love it. I'll second Mr. Smith's recommendation; if your M1A's loaded down with all sorts of tacticool (though kinda pointless) bells, whistles and widgets, strip her down to the bare basics and learn the rifle using the standard sights, then perhaps sell off some of the cool looking but marginally useful stuff to recoup some of your outlay. A word about Springfield Armory Inc; their customer service is absolutely outstanding. I've never had a problem with my M1A, but I have had occasion to order parts from them (hooded NM rear sight aperture amongst other things), and the items were on our front doorstep within 48 hours. As to your rifle's history, I believe SA will give you a manufacture & shipping date if you call them. Enjoy your M1A, they're really great rifles.

No bipod which would be cool at some point, and I have to pick up a strap, but it is so beautiful, mint shape, and feels so solid - I can't wait to get out to the range.
Happy to hear you've at least three magazines. If things go sour on the legislative front they may become fairly expensive. As to the bipod, I don't own one for my M1A, but I have fired M1As and M14E2s with and without bipods, and found points of impact changed marginally depending on whether or not the bipod was installed. For what it's worth, if you decide to purchase a bipod for your M1A, get it direct from Springfield Armory if you can, because there are some real rinky-dink Chinese repro bipods on the market. They look good, are very attractively priced with glowing advertising copy, but they're junk. Enjoy you rifle, you've got a good one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.