The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Winchester pre-64 Model 70 H&H 300 Magnum along with some boxes of ammo labeled for the rifle. I wonder if these old full boxes of ammo have any value. They are of the "Western" & "Winchester" brands. The Western's are 220 grain "Silvertip". The "Winchester" boxes say silvertip also and their 180 grain. Any opinions on ammo? I'm still also trying to find out what the rifle is worth (S/N 139XXX) ... Brad

Attachments

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
as long as is has been stored correctly it should be ok...I have ammo from the 1950's that fires just fine.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The ammo is probably OK, but I wouldn't take a chance using it on an expensive hunting trip. It is fine for plinking, and as such it is only worth sbout $20 a box, even less if thr brass shows any corrosion.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
if you have qualms... can always pull it dump powder.. deactivate primer.. reprime and recharge... good as new.

brass has normal patina on it. looks good.

be;ted magnum brass is spendy. and that's shot0 times. not even oncefired...

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I'm not much of an ammo collector and am not real familiar with the packaging used by Winchester & Western. Those two look like they're roughly from the same era though.
The Silvertip bullet (it's a regular jacketed lead-core bullet with an aluminum nose cap to protect the tip) was introduced post-WWII after aluminum became more readily available on the consumer market.

The boxes are starting to get a bit shaggy and most of the ammo collectors I know are looking for the pristine packages unless things get real old or unique.

If your Model 70 is roughly the same vintage, I'd hang onto the ammo as display companions for it.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
A fine condition M70 300 H&H could be worth as much as $2.5K. It should NOT have a recoil pad on the butt.....Many have these added to them.

The ammo is not worth much, say a buck a round. It is the boxes that have the value, and as bindernut says, condition of the boxes sets the value. The first pic shows the later box, the last ones the eariler wrapper....I have seen really nice ones bring $50+, I assume for display purposes.

The 300 H&H is a fine caliber, just not many interested in it these days with at least 6 other so called 300 magnums to compete with. Actually hand loaded today it does rather well, with less powder/heat than ANY of the newer 300 mags out there. More velocity with less powder per grain of bullet weight, making the most effiecent of the lot. It also is the most accurate of the bunch when shooting light bullets. My favorite coyote load is a 125 grain 30/30 bullet, flat nosed. Loaded to around 3,300 fps, it becomes a nice varmit bullet. My old M70 keeps these in 2" groups at 200 yd, box stock. Hammmers coyotes like you were driving golf balls....

Regards, Kirk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts