The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two full boxes (20 rounds each) of the Peters High Velocity 30-30 WIN. bullets, 170 grain, soft point, Core Lokt. The Boxes are Red, White and Blue. They have a red ball with Peters written in it in white lettering. They say Kleanbore Priming...they do have the warning "keep out of reach of children" on them. The side of the box has "Peters pack the power!" and an elogated oval with dupont written in it. Two questions, do they have any value to collectors and if not are they safwe to shoot in my old Marlin 336 SC?
These were most likely purchased when my gun was bought in either 1964 or 1965. The back of the box has Remington Arms Company Inc. Bridgeport Connecticut.

· Registered
6,391 Posts
There should be no problem in using that ammo in your rifle (assuming the rifle is in .30-30). Unless it has been stored improperly, it should work fine.

If you have a gunshow in your area, you might see how much a cartridge collector will offer for that ammo, but IMO, Ammunition of that age has little value as a collectible, probably less than it would cost to replace it with fresh ammo.

Jim

· Registered
3,128 Posts
^what he said.

perfectly safe to shoot, I've got some .45 ACP from 1928 that still shoots fine. Not sure if you'd get much for it from a collector but there's only one way to find out!

maybe use 'em to trade for more ammo or whatever if someone wants them for collector items.

· Registered
1,471 Posts
My uncle and I recently shot a 20 round box of WWII 30.06 AP ( All Purpose ;) ) and they all shot just fine.

My uncle had it stored at home in a wooden footlocker since he came home from the war in 1945. He's almost 87 and can still fire a Garand.:cool: I never think about taking pictures until after. He shot three rounds and said a thousand memories flashed past in his mind and handed it back to me. He hadn't fired one since 1945. He's the last of the "best generation" left in my family, all the others are gone. That was a day to remember, shooting with him. Sorry for getting off topic...

· Registered
1,471 Posts
That must have been a great experience for your uncle.

Be sure to clean the rifle well, since WWII ammo had corrosive primers. BTW, AP stands for Armor Piercing, not All Purpose.

Jim
Yes it was, for me anyway.

And yes, I know what AP stands for, I used one of these...;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.