Old box of .32 S&W ammo

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Old Gun Guy, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

With alot of posts lately asking about the Iver Johnson and H&R revolvers that shoot .32 S&W cartridges, I thought that this might make an interesting posting. I came across this old box of Winchester .32 S&W that even states on the box which firearms take this caliber. There were 21 rounds remaining in the box. These are still made from smokeless powder, so they are not to be used in black powder guns. I don't know how old they are, but I'm going to try and shoot them. I'm enclosing a couple of pics of the old box, and the last picture shows this round compared to a modern .32 ACP.
    Can anyone give me the time frame of these rounds?
    Old Gun Guy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Well, since it just says W, I'm guessing it is prior to Winchester being bought by Western (and becoming WW), in 1931.

3. Angryisme

Angryisme Member

and before we started spelling staynless with an 'I'
    or does staynless mean something 'I' don't know about?

educate me
    I is a dummy

4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Staynless is what Winchester used to call their primers. I believe that meant "non-corrosive", as in "no rust stains". I just checked, and it's not on current boxes, but I know I saw it on shotshells in the 60s.