The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all... I found this gem in the garage when I moved in back in the day. I thought some of you might enjoy it.. Now.. can any one tell me who, what, and when? :confused: The why is self explanatory. :eek: I have the broad head on the end of an old ram rod thats .360" dia. just for size reference and to display it to you guys and gals. Any collector out there that would like it for a display in your collection? Just message me and Ill put it in a box and send it free... But you best post a picture of it all cleaned up!;)

Attachments

·
Registered
17,289 Posts
My first thought was Bear Razorhead, but those are much shorter and wider than that appears.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill take another pic.. different angle.... give me a few....:eek:

·
Registered
17,289 Posts
Razorheads just look, to me, wider for their length than that one.

Although it might be a Super Razorhead. It looks kinda longer and thinner.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Would have to tend to agree with Alpo, looks like an older version of one of the Bear Broadheads.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK... Since I have this Broad head.. and will never let it fly out of my compound...
I have heard of people making arrows... so.. what type of wood would I use to make the shaft? Does it matter, since this is now going to be a static display? Would I stain the shaft or just oil it for protection?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
This looks very much like an early Thunderhead. Thunderheads eventually had the tip squared off since the early model pointed tips, that look just like this one, often broke on impact. I still have about a half dozen screw in Thunderheads for aluminum arrows with the bleeder add ons (those little razor blades on the sides, you can shoot with or without them). I bought them in the early '80s and they're still very usable.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
This thread made me curious so I dug out my old archery box and found my old T-heads along with several Satellites. Today's T-heads really have no resemblence to the old ones I have, and I don't think Satellites are made anymore. Back in the day I preferred the Satellite as it flew a bit more accurately then the Thunderhead, at least for me. If you're interested I can take a few pictures of these and post them up so you can see what we shot "back in the day".

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GrandpaPete.. the pics would be nice to see. My curiosity with this broad head came about when I took my boy and girls to Hunter Safety... One of the instructors there was into archery... made his own bows and arrows...
I dont have the heart to just dispose of the broad-head... so I figured Id make a mock arrow to display it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
OK, here we go. The first pic is of the Thunderheads, the one attached to the arrow has the bleeders inserted, the other doesn't. On that one you can see pretty clearly how the tip was squared off and sharpened.

The second, fuzzy picture is of the Satellites. It's been over 25 years since I put one together and you can see it's not a fun proposition. 4 razor blades have to be held in the head slots with one hand while you screw the securing base on with the other. It was, and still is, a royal pain but they shot well.

I bought these in the early 1980s, they are still dangerously sharp and look pretty darned good for their age!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
This thread made me curious so I dug out my old archery box and found my old T-heads along with several Satellites. Today's T-heads really have no resemblence to the old ones I have, and I don't think Satellites are made anymore. Back in the day I preferred the Satellite as it flew a bit more accurately then the Thunderhead, at least for me. If you're interested I can take a few pictures of these and post them up so you can see what we shot "back in the day".
Crap, now you're making me feel old..

I pulled my stuff out after a 20 year hiatus and went to Bass Pro looking for more arrows (the plastic fletchings were falling apart). To my amazement, there were no aluminum arrows to be had anywhere in the store. The guy looked at me funny when I asked! The same for Big 5 Sporting Goods. That stuff used to be cutting-edge. Now everything is carbon fiber, and compound bows cost 4-5 times more than the couple I purchased back then! :eek:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
ShawnDow
Looks like those heads still have some deer hair on them,guess you forgot to
clean them after the hunt.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Port Orford cedar shafts..

Aluminum really came alomg in the very late 50s. About 1960 Al target arrows were $32/dozen- w/ feather fletching and nice cresting.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
I remember the old Satellite broadheads...if I remember right, that's what I started out with when I picked up bow hunting. Then moved to Wasp Heads.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jim Summers... That "fuzzy" stuff is from my shop towel.. I tried to wipe the dust and heavy rust off the broad-head. I found it in the garage, of the home i'm renting.
I came into archery in the later stages of my hunting.. yes, all carbon fiber shafts.. an "overhauled" Martin compound bow from Dicks Sporting Goods... and some fixed blade broad-heads... I have never taken game with it yet.. although I have had my sights on a few all drawn back... just never let the arrow fly! In time I am sure Ill take game with it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Crap, now you're making me feel old..

I pulled my stuff out after a 20 year hiatus and went to Bass Pro looking for more arrows (the plastic fletchings were falling apart). To my amazement, there were no aluminum arrows to be had anywhere in the store. The guy looked at me funny when I asked! The same for Big 5 Sporting Goods. That stuff used to be cutting-edge. Now everything is carbon fiber, and compound bows cost 4-5 times more than the couple I purchased back then! :eek:
Look what I found !!!

http://www.basspro.com/Easton-XX75-Gamegetter-Arrows/product/96301/

Us old folks ain't out to pasture yet!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts