The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow, what a beautiful day, lots of sunshine and 70 degrees with light winds most of the time.

I took Bruce to the range today. He is a new shooter that we introduced to the fun last year. He first purchased a used S&W Model 22-A and put a BSA red dot on it which failed shortly after the one year guarantee expired. He purchased a new TruGlo tube type red dot for it and today the chore was to sight that in. He was having a bad time with that getting lousy groups and a lot of duds. He was firing 36gr. Federal Bulk Pack (Load No 750) When I tried it I got the same bad results so I got out a box of Wolf Match Target and tried them. All the problems disappeared and the group size was good. I have shot a lot of .36gr. Federal Bulk Pack (Load No 745) and experienced none of the problems that the 750 gave us.

Bruce also brought his new Ruger 10/22 along. It has the Mannlicher stock and is a great looking little rifle. He had the same results with that junk ammo. I think I convinced him to get some better ammo when it becomes available. Don't need to go to the pricey match ammo but get some good stuff and the problems should disappear. He has old eyes like the rest of us so will be getting a scope for his new rifle very shortly.

I brought along my Ruger MK III Hunter w/ 4x Burris scope and tried my luck at 100 yards using a rest. Next time out I am going to give a a couple clicks of right windage and see if I can move the group to the center. There is room for improvement here but I was pleased with today's results. I was shooting Federal Champion Target 40gr in the Hunter.

Because we have been talking about the S&W Model 17 here on the forum in the last week I got mine out to give it some exercise. Just some off hand plinking at the tin cans, golf balls and lolly pops at the 50 foot range. I then got to feeling my oats and took a shot at the 8" plate at 50 yards, "Ding" center hit. Now that puts a smile on my face. So still feeling cocky for an old man I tried a shot at the 8" plate at 100 yards. One shot, one "Ding", so I just put the revolver away and didn't try again, ha.

I finished up with a couple mags full through the Ruger LCP at the new silhouette target holder we put up last week. I am still really liking that little mouse gun and it carries so easily.

Randy a range neighbor came over when he got off work that led to a lot of gun talk. He made us all jealous telling about his prairie dog hunt out west using his Ruger .204. I can only imagine how much fun that must be. He was talking about ranges of 500 to 700 yards. Wow is all I can say.

I took a break from the action and sat on the bench and looked out for range zombies.

It was just another memorable day shared with friends and guns.

Still trying to learn how to upload pics from photo bucket, ha.

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb347/todd511/Old Guys at the range/DSCF0003_zps99b5327d.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb347/todd511/Old Guys at the range/DSCF0007_zps5cabf9d1.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb347/todd511/Old Guys at the range/DSCF0004_zps0847e1b6.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb347/todd511/Old Guys at the range/DSCF0005_zpsf4039281.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb347/todd511/Old Guys at the range/DSCF0002_zpsd0a6e141.jpg

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
A day of shooting, a smoke and a beer at the end. Looks like the perfect day. Nice shooting on that 100 yd target too.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Sounds like you had an all-around good day of shooting, Todd.
Was a nice day and Ohhhhhh...that Smith! Real good shooting as well.

Good to hear your do well with the Ruger LCP, those are fine, easy to carry pistols.
I'd like to get some more time in with my .380 (Bersa) just cant find any ammo that
I can afford to shoot through it right now.

Your range neighbor is right about those .204 Ruger rounds..."they reach" out there!
I had mine (savage in .204 Ruger) out here a while back out to 550 yards...and man..
not "alot" of holdover.

I was looking at Photobucket and was wondering, is that the only way to upload pictures now? Reason I'm asking, I just tried to upload as per, normal, and no luck?

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dale it was a great day to be out.

I think the picture uploading is a temporary glitch in some of the forum updates and I look for it to be corrected shortly.

Yea the Smith 17 is a sweet piece and I surprised myself shooting today. Any time I can hit that 8" plate at 100 I feel great, ha. There is a four inch plate down there but I can't see it unless I am using a scoped gun, old eyes you know, ha.

I am real satisfied with my ability to shoot the little LCP. If I can draw it in time it will do the job I think. I was doing two fast shots to the torso and one to the head and it works well. But it sure is a tiny thing. I even did some plate shooting at 50' and again I was surprised at the results.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Gotta' tell ya Todd, 100 yards with any hand gun in my book is something one don't
see much of in my neck of the woods when out shooting with others. I ALWAYS
hear..."ya cant do that". (of coarse my response is "Well, I reckon we'll see!" lol)

I'm anxious for my B-I-L to bring back down his LCP...I wanna shoot that pistol!
We'd only shot it up close and personal the times I did get a chance to shoot it.
But heck, for that size pistol,
50 feet is some good shooting in my opinion! (NICE)

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dale, I used some Testors model paint and painted the front sight a bright orange. First a coat of white followed by a coat of orange. To me it made a world of difference in shooting that little mouse gun because it didn't get much in the way of sights to start out. But of course it is not intended to be a target pistol but that orange makes quick access of the front sight much, much easier for me. I would think nail polish would do just as well. I expect I will have to touch it up from time to time but that only takes a minute or two.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Looks good Todd, and easy to see.
They will no doubt wear a bit over time and touch up is a every now and than thing.
But Thanks for sharing with the Orange color over White. I never thought of that when
putting some paint on the Bersa. I did that to an older Ruger, just never crossed my mind
this go around. Looks good!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.