The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 21 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting old, and I have yet to see a Marlin 60 that worked.

A friend of mine visited this weekend, and he brought an old Marlin. We shot 36-grain Mini-mags. His gun stovepiped about 50% of the time.

He left the gun here, so now I'm the one stuck with the problem of fixing it.

I know I should clean it out thoroughly. Other than that, what are the most likely problems?

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is an auction site rifle, and it has some really fine gunsmithing modifications.

I just took it apart, and there were two rear takedown screws. One appears to be a wood screw from Home Depot, painted black with a Sharpie. It goes into the takedown screw hole in the receiver. It's kind of amazing that it didn't destroy the threads. I swapped the screw from my new Model 60, and it still fits the hole. So we need an $8.75 screw from Ebay.

The rearmost takedown screw is also a wood screw, but it has a black factory finish. The question is this: what factory? It didn't come from Marlin. It goes into a blind hole, which is a little strange. It looks like some idiot drilled a very nice hole in the stock for no reason whatsoever.

The jump from the feedthroat to the chamber seems high compared to my new Model 60. Do these ramps wear down?

12 01 20 Mike Marlin 60 extra screw hole small.jpg

12 01 20 Mike Marlin 60 low feed throat small.jpg

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not figured out what the ornamental extra hole and screw are for, but the gun is fixed. Some master gunsmith who worked on it in the past bent the ejector wire into a corkscrew. I adjusted and tested it twice, and now the gun shoots.

There is an adjustment method called the penny/nickel trick, and it's very easy. I found it on Youtube.

I don't know why people buy Marlin 60's. I got fooled once, and that was plenty for me!

·
TFF Chaplain
19,655 Posts
Marlin 60 was my first gun. Christmas present from my parents when I was 14 or so. I still own it, but my brother is keeping it in the US for me. We took it to a local gun range a couple of years ago. It still shoots fine using normal ammo.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I love Marlin 60's. They're way more accurate than a Ruger 10/22 out of the box. I've had a few over the years and still have two. One of them had the insides destroyed by an apparent double charge. I rebuilt it with 15 bucks worth of parts off ebay and it runs like a sewing machine again. The other one is a newer one I bought from Wally World in 2013 and say what you will about early Remlins this one is a great rifle. I'm not crazy about the shorter barrel and decreased capacity on it tho.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've only seen three bad ones in a row, so maybe my luck will change in the future.

·
Premium Member
17,852 Posts
I've seen that wood screw you are taking in the stock in a few Marlins. It;s there from what i have been told to prevent the stock from splitting. I have a older model that doesn't have that screw and my stock split, so i had to reglue it. thought about installing that screw but the epoxy is holding for now.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 2018 gun does not have it. I put it back in the old gun so the hole would look better.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have three Marlin 60 rifles. One I bought brand new, the others I bought used. All have shot flawlessly and are quite accurate considering they aren't top of the price line custom rifles.
Slipshod work from a so called gunsmith shouldn't be blamed on the manufacturer of a rifle. Any firearm can wear out if it's shot enough. Some .22's get a real workout because they are not only cheap to shoot but fun as well.
I have driven a certain brand of trucks for many years. I keep buying them because they have served me well. On the other hand a friend of mine bought a 2020 same brand model and the truck has spent more time at the dealership than in my friend's driveway. He finally got a settlement from the manufacturer and now has a brand new 2021 model with all the toys, a certificate for 100 gallons of fuel and a no charge extended warranty. Sometimes we run across a so called "Lemon" but the next one off the line might be the best you've ever owned. Contrary to popular belief the day of the week something came off the assembly line makes no difference in the reliability of the finished product.
I hope when you get done with your friend's Marlin it works well for him.

·
Premium Member
19,565 Posts
I bought a Marlin 60 to have an extra rifle for the kids to shoot so I could shoot my 10-22 also. Mine is every bit as good (so far) as my 10-22. I have yet to have any FTF or jams with it.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have three Marlin 60 rifles. One I bought brand new, the others I bought used. All have shot flawlessly and are quite accurate considering they aren't top of the price line custom rifles.
Slipshod work from a so called gunsmith shouldn't be blamed on the manufacturer of a rifle.
That is all true, but:

1. I have only seen three Model 60's, and all three had defects that were caused by the manufacturer. These guns have big quality control issues, and everyone knows about them.

2. The Model 60 has cheap parts, a badly designed stock, a lousy trigger, a reduced magazine capacity, a lame dovetail instead of proper scope mounts, a shortened barrel length, and it won't shoot hyper-velocity ammunition other rifles shoot just fine. It's also very difficult to put a proper sling stud on one (it does not come with them like other rifles).

3.The feeding problem, which other rifles do not have, is so well known, there are multiple Youtube videos about it.

4. Marlin/Remington does not support the gun with new parts.

Why not just buy a gun that works? Get a Savage or a nice Henry.

I have something like $250 in my Model 60, and it's totally inferior to my Savage A22 and my Nylon 66.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The only .22 I own I have had a problem with is a (Wait for it) (Wait for it) a Ruger 10-.22. This gun shoots exceptionally well and has never jammed or misfired and shoots almost any ammo well. However, I haven't shot this gun for probably a month now. If I was to take it out and shoot it I would have to move the scope adjustments a tiny bit. Then if I let the Ruger sit idle for another month I'd have to do the same thing. Not always the same way. Once the gun is sighted back in it shoots just fine. I have blamed this on the ring around the fore end which holds the barrel to the wood stock. I have loosened the ring which helped and have thought about a different stock but I like the wood on this gun and enjoying seeing it in my cabinet. I don't hunt with this rifle. It's just a paper puncher so I calmly do what I have to do and life goes on.
This was also a present one year for Christmas from my wife. I will never complain. She has given me several other guns since..

·
Premium Member
17,852 Posts
English bob, i do know the model 60s that were being made at the Remington factory did have lots of problems when Rem. 1st started making them. So maybe a couple of yours were in that time frame. If not then i guess you drew the short straw and got 3 defected model 60s. Mine is from 1979 so yes it had the long barrel and magazine tube. I did have to replace the feed throat on it, cause the early ones were in 2 pieces and just didn't hold up over time. Got the new style 1 piece one now and it shoots just as good as my 10/22. Yes their triggers are shaky. I bought a Mcarbo trigger lower receiver spring kit for it that helped some.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Back in the late 70s or early 80s I was running the wrecker one day and this guy from out in the country wanted to write a check. The owner didn't allow that but this guy offered to let me hold his model 60 as collatoral. Fine, I'll do that and that was the last I ever saw of him. I guess he felt like he wasn't loosing much since about 95% of the time it acts like a single shot anyway. I've cleaned it but never bothered to try and fix it. I have a nice Remington 552 which works just fine. It doesn't have the accuracy of a fine bolt action .22 but we still enjoy it.

·
GUNZILLA
6,422 Posts
I own a marlin 60 I believe it is a Glenfield . Was given to me by my brother who had bought it for his son 30 years ago. He gave it to me to hold for him because his son got into drugs and did not want him to pawn the rifle. Don't shoot it often but the times I have, it performed flawlessly. What blew my socks off was how much more accurate it was than my 10/22. Now I need to go and shoot it again.

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,666 Posts
I have something like $250 in my Model 60, and it's totally inferior to my Savage A22 and my Nylon 66.
Why not sell it and buy another Salvage A22 or Nylon 66? I have only 1 Marlin 60, it’s 33 years old and runs like a well oiled sewing machine.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With $250 invested, plus my own labor and modifications, the gun now works. It has a good trigger, it has a proper sling stud, it shoots all .22 LR ammo, and it has a real set of sights. It's no longer a normal Model 60, so it doesn't make sense to sell it because of normal Model 60 problems. I turned it into an overpriced gun that's fun to shoot.

I wouldn't think of buying a second one, though. I told my buddy not to buy his, but he wouldn't listen.

I may have spent more than $250. Can't remember. I got all the Mcarbo stuff, plus a peep sight set, new studs, and a Forstner bit for correcting the stock's failings.

·
Premium Member
17,852 Posts
I have two model 60's and I've had no problems, the only problem is they are both unfired so I cant tell you if I have a problem or not, that's a problem. View attachment 240197

View attachment 240198
sounds like you need to load them up and go out and put some more holes in that washing machine out in your backyard to see how they shoot.:)

·
Premium Member
17,852 Posts
With $250 invested, plus my own labor and modifications, the gun now works. It has a good trigger, it has a proper sling stud, it shoots all .22 LR ammo, and it has a real set of sights. It's no longer a normal Model 60, so it doesn't make sense to sell it because of normal Model 60 problems. I turned it into an overpriced gun that's fun to shoot.

I wouldn't think of buying a second one, though. I told my buddy not to buy his, but he wouldn't listen.

I may have spent more than $250. Can't remember. I got all the Mcarbo stuff, plus a peep sight set, new studs, and a Forstner bit for correcting the stock's failings.
yeah no way you'd be able to sell it with $250.00 in it since most people's model 60s shoot fine with only about $150.00 in them.

1 - 21 of 45 Posts