The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 20 years ago I had 2 mod 63's a 2" & 4" and for some dumb reason I traded them off.
I just purchased a Mint condition 63, 4" probably mfg about 1978 which has the pinned barrel and S&W target like grips. I like the grips, however when trying to fit some other J frame grips both custom and factory none would work.
It seems the grip pin on the mod 63 will not line up with any of the grips.
I would like to purchase grips of the same kind that came on the 63.
Anyone know where I can look ? Thanks John

·
Registered
2 Posts
John - After reading your post, it got me curious. I got my 63 (1982) out and took off the grips. Then I took out my mods. 35 (1973), 37 (1982) and my 43 (1982), removed the grips and they all fit the 63 perfectly. I also have a 34, but it is RB. I have a box full of grips, so went through it & found several pairs of J-frame SB. Even the old Diamond grips appear to have the hole in the same place. I'm going to follow this & see if you figure this out. Good Luck!
Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tom, I got all of my J frame grips out both round and square butt. none will fit the Mod 63 I have.
The grips that came on the 63 are S&W and they extend down below the bottom of the frame. They are really nice grips, however this 63 is for my wife and I wanted smaller grips.
Another thing, the pin on both sides of the frame just a little above bottom of the frame on my old Mod 60 .38 is a lot lower than on the 63. ( this is the pin that holds the gips in place to keep them from turning.
I don't know what to do.
I could take photos and email to someone so they could se what I'm talking about.
Thanks for your reply Tom

·
Registered
17,290 Posts
If it was me, and I had grips I wanted to use, that fit, except the pin was in the wrong place, I would set the grip in place, lightly tap on it with a rubber mallet. This would make the pin mark the inside of the grip.

Then I would drill a new hole.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Alpo, good idea. I called S&W and ask them about it and they said that it was possible that the hole was drilled on the wrong machine and I could send it to them and they would correct it. No way am I going to send it in.
I'll work on it. It's such a nice 63, I don't want someone to mess with it.
It's in mint condition and the Box looks new and all of the paper and oiled paper wrap is with it. Thanks to all. John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts