The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm refinishing a 1948 Remington 510. There is oil residue that has permeated the stock near the action. Is there a method to remove this? Pour acetone on it and set it on fire?:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,826 Posts
I had fairly good luck heating the affected area with a heat gun and wiping off what oozed out. Then wipe with mineral spirits or acetone (I don't like acetone, bad stuff) It took several heat cycles but I finished the gun several years ago and the finish still looks good.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Try some spray on oven cleaner with the heat gun, use a small ammount with moderate heat. May take a couple of applications to get it all. Rub/whisker the stock with 0000 steel wool, and then rub in linseed oil or tung oil after it comepletely dries. A paste wax preservative can be made with bees wax and turpentine to seal the wood afterwards.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Heat with a hairdryer and wipe with acetone, mineral spirits or Brake cleaner

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had good success with Brownells "Old Fashioned Whiting". You mix it with methanol, TCE, acetone or toluene and paint it on oily stock. It will turn a dirty brown as it sucks oil out of stock. Let it dry and brush it off. Repeat if necessary.
I took an old Savage 99 stock (almost 100 years old) that was severely oil soaked and was able to salvage it. It looks very good - like a good piece of wood should look like after a 100 years.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Down here in Texas in the Summer, you can put it in the back of the car for the day (gets 140-150 degrees) and wipe it off at teh end of the day...repeat as needed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have had good success with Brownells "Old Fashioned Whiting". You mix it with methanol, TCE, acetone or toluene and paint it on oily stock. It will turn a dirty brown as it sucks oil out of stock. Let it dry and brush it off. Repeat if necessary.
I took an old Savage 99 stock (almost 100 years old) that was severely oil soaked and was able to salvage it. It looks very good - like a good piece of wood should look like after a 100 years.
Right on the money Chainsaw . Brownells Whiting agent works great , when used properly !

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I heated the stock and wiped it down with acetone. I already have the second coat of stain on and it looks great. Now for the Tru-oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts