The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in law gave me this old rifle. It'd been kicking around the house for a long time, and he decided that I'd appreciate it more than he does. I've been looking around but can't figure out what it is. Seems like it might be some sort of Enfield carbine copy, probably Arab-made. I have no idea how it might have ended up in a farm house in Southern Ontario. I've wiped it down with an oiled rag and it looks quite nice. It will have a permanent home on the wall of our den. We had the sidelock off once before while looking for markings, and there are no stamps or markings on the inside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking it was probably just acquired some time through the years, as I'm fairly sure it nobody in the family served anywhere in the East. It still cocks and the trigger mechanism works just fine, although a chunk of the wood is cracked off, but held in place by the action. I cleaned it up with a rag and some oil and it looks quite nice now, rust and all. I need to find a classy way to hang it on the wall or something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apparently it was in the house when they bought it in the 80s, tucked away in the shed. The previous owner was fairly well-off and used the house as a summer home. The neighbour knew them quite well and the family keeps in touch with her, so she may be able to tell us if he ever worked overseas or travelled to India.

I have a great sounding old fiddle that was built in 1850 in Paris, and has a repair label from Nashville in 1969. Somehow it ended up in a violin shop in Ontario, and now I own it. Man I wish old things could talk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.