The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find information on an old pistol my father had. All I know about it is that it's 9.65 ( 32 ) caliber hammerless side load revolver. It has the letters F A on the grips. It also has a cresent moon and a star on or near the barrel. It is a very short barrel Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory Airsoft gun

·
Registered
18,255 Posts
Is it a 5-point star sitting on top of the moon, and the moon is lying down? Like the star is a nose over the moon grinning?

If so, that's the trademark of Francisco Arizmendi, of Eibar, Spain.

Hey, I didn't realize that until I was typing the name. That makes the FA fit, too.

·
Registered
18,255 Posts
That would be "7.65", by the way, not "9.65". The 7.65 Browning is a 32 ACP, and since it is a "semi-rimmed" case, it can easily be chambered in revolvers.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
These type of small self defence revolvers were made in great quantity from the early 1900's until the late 1940's. The primary culprit was Belgium, but Germany, Spain and France also got into the game to a lesser extent. There were over 30 different gum makers in the Eibar region of Spain and since only 4 of them survived the Spanish civil war there is no way to date the manufacture date. It is not really a Velo Dog revolver, a Velo Dog is has a long cylinder and is chambered in 5.5 VD, a very anemic cartridge that has only a little more power than a CB 22 Long. IMO the new trend of calling all of these self defence pocket guns Velo Dogs is akin to calling all American revolvers Smith and Wesson's. Value is hard to pin down, you could research the different auctions sites and see if ther are any similar guns for sale. Your revolver is in very good condition, but even so. the value of these small guns is not high, there were tens of thousands made and imported.

·
Registered
18,255 Posts
I see your argument Ron. Truly I do. But - 1911s were only made by Colt, Springfield Armory and Remington UMC. However, my Springfields (Springfield Arms, Illinois, not Springfield Armory, Massachusetts) my AMTs, my Colt Gold Cup and Officer's Model, and my Sistima are ALL 1911s. If I had a Smith, Sig, Remington or Ruger, they would also be 1911s. It's become a generic term for the single-stack single-action autoloader designed by John Browning. Don't matter who made it, when it was made, or how much it differs from the original, it's still a 1911

I also don't blow my nose on facial tissue, I use Kleenex, even though I use Puffs. I don't keep my coffee in a vacuum bottle, I use a Thermos, even though mine is an Aladdin.

I believe "velo-dog" has also moved into the vernacular. And I think you're fighting a battle that's done been lost.

But hey, call to Sancho, couch your lance and spur Rocinante. The giants await. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.