The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Been lurking here for a couple of months now, just registered today. I just returned to the shooting sports after being gone for 30 or 35 years! I just this week got my new Lee Loadmaster and am setting it up now. ( you tube vidieos have been a great help ) I use to reload my own shot shells years ago and in going thru some of my ammo cans of old supplies I found a full can of DuPont SR-7625 and a partial can of Red Dot powders. They seem to be still good. I dont see DuPont even listed in any of my new reloading manuals, and who knows if 35 year old Red Dot is the same Red Dot as todays. What would be the best way of dispoal or could any of this be used in the reloading of 9mm, 40sw, or 45acp?

·
Super Moderator
44,808 Posts
I would suggest that use them as fertilizer, too. If you put in a garden, just put it aside until next spring and pour it on your tomato plants. If you don't do tomatoes, pour it on the shrubs around the house.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Hello everyone! Been lurking here for a couple of months now, just registered today. I just returned to the shooting sports after being gone for 30 or 35 years! I just this week got my new Lee Loadmaster and am setting it up now. ( you tube vidieos have been a great help ) I use to reload my own shot shells years ago and in going thru some of my ammo cans of old supplies I found a full can of DuPont SR-7625 and a partial can of Red Dot powders. They seem to be still good. I dont see DuPont even listed in any of my new reloading manuals, and who knows if 35 year old Red Dot is the same Red Dot as todays. What would be the best way of dispoal or could any of this be used in the reloading of 9mm, 40sw, or 45acp?
Your best option would be to contact the manufacturer by email tell them what you have and ask what to do about it - can it be used for reloading - should it be used for fertilizer -or should you send it back to them?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hold on. There's no reason to just dump powder. Open the can and smell the powder. If it has a sharp acrid smell, then dump it. If there's red powder in the can, dump it. But if the powder has a slightly sweet acetone smell, it's good. Try a few rounds and see if it works fine. I am using powder that's older than yours, and as long as it has been stored in reasonable conditions, there's every chance it will still be good.

I believe Hodgdon bought DuPont in about 2002 and acquired all the DuPont powders and continue them today under the Hodgdon label.

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/...wder/imr-7625-smokeless-powder-prod45414.aspx

Remember, lots of us are still shooting WW II surplus ammo made more than 60 years ago, and most of it, especially the US ammo, is still good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey! Thanks for the info on the DuPont powder. Its a brand new 1lb tin ($2.19 price sticker) thats been stored in a 20mm ammo can all those years. I went to Hodgdons web site and found some loads for the 9mm. I'll have to make a couple of sample rounds on the new Loadmaster to test out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts