The Firearms Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
:LOL: I thought this was going to be about old tv antennas that sat on top of the tv.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a little research for you. Bell Brothers is still in business. You may be able to contact them with any serial numbers on your shotgun for further information. Bell Bros Gunmakers LTD (Tel: 01451 828 202) Good luck!
Thank you. I had seen there still in business I have not tried to call them yet

·
Premium Member
17,604 Posts
Oh my!!!! Did you see that?!?!?!?! Damascus barrels wearing a NITRO proof. According to all the experts you're gonna kill yourself, anyone within 25 feet of you and 13 folks in the next county over.

Yes, I am dripping sarcasm. Seriously, if you're wanting to shoot it you should have the old gun checked by someone familiar with Damascus barrels and have the chambers checked. It's probably cut for 2 1/2 in hulls. They can be opened to 2 3/4 and that's one mod I don't find too offensive....but I'll never do it. It appears to have been proofed with 1 1/8 ounce load which SHOULD be the "square" load for a 12 bore. Light loads are in order here.

Cool old double!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh my!!!! Did you see that?!?!?!?! Damascus barrels wearing a NITRO proof. According to all the experts you're gonna kill yourself, anyone within 25 feet of you and 13 folks in the next county over.

Yes, I am dripping sarcasm. Seriously, if you're wanting to shoot it you should have the old gun checked by someone familiar with Damascus barrels and have the chambers checked. It's probably cut for 2 1/2 in hulls. They can be opened to 2 3/4 and that's one mod I don't find too offensive....but I'll never do it. It appears to have been proofed with 1 1/8 ounce load which SHOULD be the "square" load for a 12 bore. Light loads are in order here.

Cool old double!!!
Thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
17,604 Posts
It isn't faux Damascus and yes, according to the proof it can be fired with 1 1/8 oz. loads and, I'd keep them light even if it was a steel barrel simply in deference to the age of the gun. AFAIK faux Damascus was to imitate laminate, not chain Damascus. All I've ever seen were and the couple I've owend were laminate imitation.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I had a high school friend, Steve, who shot his Dad’s Damascus double in the air for the traditional stroke of midnight New Year celebration. Unfortunately he had plugged both barrels with snow. That beautiful Damascus unwound for about 6” from the muzzle back. His Dad was not pleased with his son. Never saw Steve do anything stupid, but everyone has their moment when their brain farts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you.

Beautiful Damascus. We see twist steel a lot, but to ogle this one is a real treat!
any id

Cool old double!!!
Any idea what it could be worth?

·
Premium Member
17,604 Posts
Boy, I ain't much on shotgun values, I'm sorry. I think I'd recommend diggin' some auction sites for comparables. That's where I get most of my information, at least it's current.

Reactions: tedwitt
1 - 18 of 18 Posts