The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a old hammer shot gun that is a under lever break. It has the name Fox Arms on the side.Can anyone tell me anything about it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
most of these guys are pretty good at helping out.. but for the fun of it, people like me would like to see a picture.. so when info is given, and you will get it, i can learn and visualize what it is.

·
Registered
259 Posts
most of these guys are pretty good at helping out.. but for the fun of it, people like me would like to see a picture.. so when info is given, and you will get it, i can learn and visualize what it is.

Me as well.

·
Registered
244 Posts
A quick look in my reference books shows three listings for the name FOX, just plain FOX, a Trade Mark used by the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Company on hammerless doubles made between 1925 and 1935; A.H. FOXGUN COMPANY Philadelphia, PA based gun maker from 1907 to 1929 (bought by Savage Arms Company in 1930) and C. H.Fox, a knock off name used on guns made by the American Gun Company. None of these guns had under levers. I suspect the gun is of European origin, perhaps Belgium made. Look on the bottom of the barrels for proof marks. I suspect you will find Belgium proofs which consist of the letters"ELG" in an oval with a crown on top.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A quick look in my reference books shows three listings for the name FOX, just plain FOX, a Trade Mark used by the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Company on hammerless doubles made between 1925 and 1935; A.H. FOXGUN COMPANY Philadelphia, PA based gun maker from 1907 to 1929 (bought by Savage Arms Company in 1930) and C. H.Fox, a knock off name used on guns made by the American Gun Company. None of these guns had under levers. I suspect the gun is of European origin, perhaps Belgium made. Look on the bottom of the barrels for proof marks. I suspect you will find Belgium proofs which consist of the letters"ELG" in an oval with a crown on top.

Can you tell me the names of the books that you have?The one's that I have did not have just Fox listed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Findly was able to do more checking on this. It has proof marks from Birmingham England,and they are the ones for plack powder shot shells.It also has the numer 14 atamped on the bottom of the barell along with a C and a W.
I could not find any infromation on what that stands for. Also on the sides of the stock near the trigger guards has the words field.
Can anyone give me any information on thr above. Thanks in advance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts