The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a new member on this forum and I have some question about a newly acquired Stevens 22 rifle. The barrel pivots to the right and left to load the shell and barrel is removed in this fashion also. I have found a lot rifles that pivot down but not sideways. Any information greatly appreciated. Missing a couple of parts which I hope to source. Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,048 Posts
I think we have a couple of members on here that has one of these; their handles are Firpo and Grizz1. Or one similar to yours. Hopefully they can help you out some.

·
Registered
10,473 Posts
Sorry Joe, I don't have one of those, I've seen one once, but that doesn't make me an expert on them. ;)

I do have a Stevens action I'd like to build a gun out of but it's a Stevens Favorite falling block.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello, I am a new member on this forum and I have some question about a newly acquired Stevens 22 rifle. The barrel pivots to the right and left to load the shell and barrel is removed in this fashion also. I have found a lot rifles that pivot down but not sideways. Any information greatly appreciated. Missing a couple of parts which I hope to source. Cheers

It looks to be a Stevens sure shot, maybe a model 23. I found some pictures and descriptions searching sure shot .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks 72 PLYM, you hit it on the head. This is definitely my gun. Apparently it is very rare and hard to find. Quite a bit of information is available when you type the model in. Values range from $600-$1500 though that seems hard to believe. Hope to find a rear sight and the extractor. What a find for $50. Not really my cup of tea as I am into WW2 firearms. Please let me know if anyone has a source for parts. Here is some post that I found.

Manufactured circa 1894 to the late 1890s. The 20" round barrel swings sideways to right to load with barrel release button on left frame. The system is very similar to that on many of the early derringer single shot pistols including that of the Stevens Gem. Fixed sights on barrel marked with the one line Stevens A. & T. address behind the rear sight. The left side of frame has the patent applied for marking. Blue barrel with nickel plated frame and buttplate. The smooth buttstock with brass diamond inlays on the wrist sides and steel buttplate. Correctly without a forearm.
As you know this is the rarest STEVENS boy's rifle to find in any condition and a prize for any Boy's Rifle Collector. Sitting Bull named this gun for Annie Oakley. He called her, "Little Sure Shot." After 19 years of searching, I finally found this one! This gun has been in my collection for many years. Barrell has old rebluing. Nickel on receiver is 15%. Stock has a pin in the wrist. On the left side there were marks that were professionally refinished in the stock. Butt plate has 15% nickel and bore is FAIR with some rifling. Gun has crisp clear markings Pat Pending on left side and J.Stevens Arm & Tool on the barrel. Serial number is 16XX. This is a PLUS for any collection. Most Stevens Collectors have never seen a Stevens Sure Shot. This is likely the only one you will ever see

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks 72 PLYM, you hit it on the head. This is definitely my gun. Apparently it is very rare and hard to find. Quite a bit of information is available when you type the model in. Values range from $600-$1500 though that seems hard to believe. Hope to find a rear sight and the extractor. What a find for $50. Not really my cup of tea as I am into WW2 firearms. Please let me know if anyone has a source for parts. Here is some post that I found.

Manufactured circa 1894 to the late 1890s. The 20" round barrel swings sideways to right to load with barrel release button on left frame. The system is very similar to that on many of the early derringer single shot pistols including that of the Stevens Gem. Fixed sights on barrel marked with the one line Stevens A. & T. address behind the rear sight. The left side of frame has the patent applied for marking. Blue barrel with nickel plated frame and buttplate. The smooth buttstock with brass diamond inlays on the wrist sides and steel buttplate. Correctly without a forearm.
As you know this is the rarest STEVENS boy's rifle to find in any condition and a prize for any Boy's Rifle Collector. Sitting Bull named this gun for Annie Oakley. He called her, "Little Sure Shot." After 19 years of searching, I finally found this one! This gun has been in my collection for many years. Barrell has old rebluing. Nickel on receiver is 15%. Stock has a pin in the wrist. On the left side there were marks that were professionally refinished in the stock. Butt plate has 15% nickel and bore is FAIR with some rifling. Gun has crisp clear markings Pat Pending on left side and J.Stevens Arm & Tool on the barrel. Serial number is 16XX. This is a PLUS for any collection. Most Stevens Collectors have never seen a Stevens Sure Shot. This is likely the only one you will ever see

Since you are in to wwii guns I guess I'd be willing to double what you've paid for that gun, just so I'm not cheating you ;). Glad you got some answers, just goes to show that a right answer doesn't care where it comes from.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks so much. Great bit of research for a fabulous article. The chap I bought it from said it was his great grandfathers. Hopefully I can find the few parts that are missing like the rear sight, ejector and firing pin. When I looked down the barrel it was full of dust but after a good clean it looks shiny with sharp grooves. If anyone could help with parts please let me know. Case closed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts