The Firearms Forum banner

Old US Revolver Solid Frame .32. Would like to ID model and mfg. year

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Shrek73 
#1 ·
I have acquired an old US Revolver .32 revolver. It is in bad shape and unusable. I would like to identify it. What has me wondering is the manner in which the front sight was attached to the 2" barrel. There are few images with that configuration. Also note the grips are non-checkered wood with no other identifying markings besides the US Revolver and Made in U.S.A. stamped into the top of the frame. The SN is 43936 and matches at the frame and trigger guard. One other feature that I have not seen in images of other models is a latch at the bottom front of the frame to release the cylinder pin and flattened part of the cylinder pin. Also, based on some threads here, the firing pin is a triangular shaped extrusion on the hammer.

That's all I have gentlemen. Can you help me identify this piece?

Michael
Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol
Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Shotgun

See less See more
#2 ·
Your US Revolver looks like it is the solid frame design based off the Iver Johnson Model 1900. US Revolvers were made by Iver Johnson using their surplus black powder frames after they converted into smokeless powder in 1909. I believe they were mail order only and were quite successful for a number of years. I have attached a picture of what the revolver would have looked like in its original configuration.

It looks like a lot of backwoods gunsmithing was put into it. The front sight, grips, cylinder pin are not original. It is possible that someone replace the cylinder and the barrel. The latch was probably replaced along the way. The gap on the rear of they cylinder appears to be too great and would suspect the timing to be off as well. I wouldn't recommend firing this revolver it is current condition.

I don't believe you will be able to nail down an exact year of manufacture as they used a different serial number system than on Iver Johnson's and the serial number did not always match.

Attachments

#3 ·
Thanks Shrek! You have keen eyes and a thorough history of the line of arms. Being a novice in this area, I really appreciate the approach you have. Yes the grips look homemade but the craftsman was decent in what he did. The front sight is another story. I have seen a few images of models with that type sight but the craftsmanship here is dodgy at best, probably on par with early 20th century manufacturing. Unless someone else has different thoughts or if there is some details I could provide, I will go with your analysis. Medium frame, .32 calibre, 2" bbl. What is driving me nuts is the front sight looks original to the manufacture but the records I have for these guns, there are no 2" bbls listed. Am I wrong in that analysis?

Michael

#4 ·
I am not really am expert, just trying to share the knowledge of the real expert Bill Goforth, who passed away several years ago. He wrote a book about Iver Johnson and H&R firearms that several of us use as a reference.

You mention the front sight had poor craftsmanship, but later mention it looks original. We you referring to the barrel? Take some additional pictures to, its hard to tell from the ones you have posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.