The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.... I inherited a collection of guns upon my father's death in 2009. One of which is this old Winchester rifle. I would like to know for sure what it is and then it's possible worth. I have looked around the internet lately for possible matches and have not to date found this one. I have found many like it (Model 94's) but not this one. About rifle....
1. Flush mounted to wood rear butt plate... just slightly curved but overall flat in appearance.
2. No saddle ring
3. Octagon barrel throughout
4. About 24" barrel
5. Level action
6. 42 1/4" overall length
7. No peep sight
8. Has ft. & rear mounted sights
9. The ONLY engraving ANYWHERE visible (externally) says -Winchester- PAT. Oct. 14 1884 on top of rifle behind hammer. And top rear of barrel behind rear sight "some number" ending in 0 WCF. I believe the preceding number before 0 is a 3 or 8…. beyond that point ??????.
10. I do not know the caliber…. Hoping with info provided you can???

Rifle has some minor pitting on the metal. The wood appears to be in great shape with no major flaws. At some time the level was repaired with a weld of some kind. I attached 4 pictures (hope it worked). Any opinions positive or negative will be appreciated. Thanks... Brad

Attachments

· Registered
18,462 Posts
Cell phone pictures are normally a waste of time. They are neither large enough nor clear enough to be helpful. All I can tell from those pix is that it's a lever action rifle.

If you give the serial number, then an age can be found. Older guns are normally more valuable.

There is pitting on the metal? Clear closeups of the pitting, so we can see how bad it is.

From your description that rifle does not have a "rifle buttplate", but there is no picture.

The metal looks flat. It should be glossy. That could be "bad picture" or refinish.

The wood looks yellow. It should be reddish. That could also be refinish.

Sharp clear pictures of the rollmarks - the "engraving". They should be clear and sharp, but you say the "3" in "30 WCF" is hard to make out. This could be because it was stamped badly at the factory, or it's been handled so much that it just has worn away, or when it was reblued they sanded too aggressively and sanded the "3" off.

If you don't have a good camera, find someone that does, and take good pictures. Anything that you see is wrong with it - pitting, gouges in the stock, the welded lever, screwholes with no screws in them - show pictures of that.

· Registered
763 Posts
Hello Brad,

Your Winchester is a Model 1892 Sporting Rifle.

The reason it is difficult to see the markings is because it has been harshly refinished. The caliber marking is undoubtedly "38 W.C.F."

Unfortunately, the poor quality refinish work has permanently destroyed the "collector" value of the rifle.

Bert H.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Even if the metal finish was correct for this gun, any pitting under the finish would indicate re-blueing. The reason why the 3 in front of the zero is hard to see is because it has been heavily buffed. The wood has also been refinished. What you have now is a shooter, not a collector's piece

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the info. The photo's were taken with a "good" camera but the pics were compressed for e-mail. Probably shouldn't have done that. So I'll try again later today. Alpo... your right the metal is "flat" in appearance. And Alpo & Bert your both probably right about somebody years ago doing a "bad" job refurbishing the rifle. Bert did you arrive at the "38 W.C.F." based upon data sent? Because before the W.C.F. the last digit does appear to be a 0 with the then preceding digit being a 3 or 8 before the 0. Ok guys.... I'll put this one back in the safe and post the next few firearms soon. Thanks.... Brad

· Registered
18,462 Posts
I wondered, 'cause the loading gate did not look right, but I was taking his word that it was a 94.

Looking at it as a 92, the gate now looks right.

Brad, the 92 came in 4 calibers 44/40, 38/40, 32/20 and 25/20. Winchester marked their guns as either 44 WCF, 38 WCF, 32 WCF or 25 WCF. If the number before the W looks like a 0, it is obviously not a 4, a 5 or a 2, so it kinda obviously has to be a sanded-out 8. You said the number before the supposed 0 looks to be a 3 or 8. That fits, giving 38 WCF.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your probably right Alpo.... I most certainly am NOT an authority or I wouldn't have joined this group. I have my expertise's but I am clearly a "duck out of water" here. But thanks guy.... How are ya on 300 magnums... See new post of mine shortly.

· Registered
18,462 Posts
Bert, does the forearm on that gun look strange to you?

On both of my 92s, the forearms seems to go straight from the receiver.

On that one, though, in all four pix, it looks to me like it has a belly. Like there is a curve downward from the receiver and then upward again to the foreend cap.

Actually looks, to me, kinda like a Marlin 39 forearm. That profile. Not that pronounced, but still "fuller" than mine look.

Suppose I'm hallucinating? Or did they make a beavertail forearm for 92s? From the description it has a shotgun butt.

:confused:

· Registered
763 Posts
Alpo,

Both of the stock pieces are non-factory replacements. In the last set of pictures, it is very evident that the gun was refinished by a complete amatuer.

Bert H.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again Alpo... my dad picked the rifle up sometime in the 60's while visiting relatives in Missouri at the time. Probably explains why he just hung it on wall and did nothing with it. I asked him about it when I was real young but he just showed no interest in this one at all. His "work" is on display with the 2 black power firearms I posted that he made. Later.... Brad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.