The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was needing to put a edge on a pocket knife I have had since 13 years old . I only use it around the house .A Rigid brand . It has been on countless fishing trips and ridden many miles in my pocket . I finally put it in my drawer cause came close to losing it a few to many times and finally switched to a knife with a pocket clip .It's one of them things we have that may be cheap but has much more value to ya . Like my dads old Timex watch I wouldn't trade for a brand new Rolex . So if my math is right it will make this knife 41 years old . I lose stuff in hours of getting it how I managed to still have this is a miracle !!!!!!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
This is not only my oldest, but it is my most expensive.

$1400

I got it when I was a boy scout, when I was 15. That would make it 1970. In 1980 I was out at the "range" sighting in a scope. I was using the screwdriver blade and was using the car roof as a bench. When I got home I realized I did not have my knife. I figured I must have left it on the roof of the car.

It was getting close to dark, so I was hurrying back to see if I could find it. The road through the woods was only one lane wide, and the car coming the other way did not have her lights on.

$1385 worth of damage. Plus the original cost of the knife, so that's probably my $1,400 knife.

Attachments

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,439 Posts
I've still got my original Boy Scout knife around here somewhere; every few years I run across it while looking for something else. That would make it 54 years old. By comparison, I haven't received a knife from NRA that lasted more than two years before falling apart. After all, they buy all that junk from China.

·
Registered
108 Posts
About 15 years ago I saved up all my birthday and Christmas money for a spyderco delica. Only had it for a couple years before I lost it. Fast forward ten years later and I find it in my backyard with the first 1/2 inch of tip broke off. Took hours and hours of reprofiling and cleaning but It works fine now. I can attest that vg-10 absolutely will not ever rust, but the pitting can get very deep.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
My Boy Scout knife, my Grandfathers Stockman, and a Liberty Ship knife that he made at the Bethlehem Steel shipyards building WWII Liberty ships. The blade is from a worn out bandsaw blade, and the stacked colored plastic handle discs were scrap pieces from ship parts.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Oldest knife I have I got an auction when I bought a box of junk stuff, probably in the mid 60's. Four blades ground down to about an inch long, and it has a large hook used to clean your horse's hooves!

·
Premium Member
19,971 Posts
I bought one when i was about 6 or 7. Don't know what it is. it's in the cedar chest. A fixed blade about 2" long red handle. Never got to use it on anything cause once my mom saw it she took it away and put it in the cedar chest. I guess she thought i'd cut my hand off or worse. It's still in there after my wife inherited the chest.

·
Super Moderator
43,357 Posts
This thread made me go look at my knives to see which one might be the oldest. I do not have any left over from my childhood and best I can figure, the oldest ones that I have might be a couple of Al Mar folders that I bought at a knife shop/pawn shop outside Fort Bragg back in the early 70's.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The oldest surviving knive is an Old Timer Stockman, medium size that I used when I worked as a mechanic in a gas station in the mid 70's. Many sharpenings have worn the blades as each one had a purpose back then. The Delrin handle has shown wear and deterioration but it's still alive and kicking.

Zack's Spyderco reminded me of my Kershaw Blackout I bought off the Snap-On truck in 2000. It had their logo on it and I lost it the first year, as I have many others. Thought if fell out of my pocket in a customers car at the dealership I was working at. Fifteen years later I found it under some leaves when I was tearing down an old building in the back yard. The liner lock and spring assist had rusted through, the plastic handles had warped some but that 440a steel was still razor sharp with no visible rust or pitting. Just some surface discoloration. I kept watching ebay for one with a broken blade with a low bid hoping to rebuild this one but never did win one. Finally I sent it in to Kershaw and asked them if they could please save the blade as I really liked how well it sharpened and held an edge. I expected to have to pay for the service since it was my negligence that cause the rust and deterioration.

Soon, they sent me back a completely rebuilt knife with all new parts and my old blade which they buffed as much as possible without removing the Snap-On logo. I was amazed that there was no charge and pleased with the work they did. I emailed the man who worked on it back and thanked him and wondered why there was no charge. He said sometimes that happens.

I don't have my old Boy Scout knife (never really liked it) but I do still have my orange Boy Scout hatchet from the early 1960s. That thing kept us from getting ruffed up by some locals on a camping trip our patrol took as we walked across the George Washington Bridge to the NJ Palisades. Funny how bullies won't mess with someone who can defend himself.
Plant Wood Grass Shrub Groundcover

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Well, I'm old so it figures I would have some old knives. So here goes but don't hit me too hard if I get the details wrong, ha.

This was my grandfathers Boy Scout knife. I think the acorn badge indicates it was Remington made. He was born in 1887 so we can guess he got this when was say 12 years old which puts this knife at say 1899?

These two knives were carried by my father. The oldest is a KaBar that I bought for his birthday in 1950 at Columbus Hardware. The other one is a Boker. I took him back to Columbus Hardware and told the clerk the story of the KaBar and said I wanted to buy him a new knife that would last him for another 50 years. He sold me the German made Boker and dad carried that until his death.

Here are a couple more in the collection. The long bladed knife I am told was called a pharmacist's knife. Dad used it to filet fish. You could put a viciously sharp edge on it. The other one in the picture I have no idea where it came from or it's history. I looks like a cheap boy's knife.

Here are some of the knives that are in the gun safe. The "Electrician's knife" ??? I carried in my turn out clothing on the fire dept. The old single blade with the curved handle dad carried before I got him the KaBar. The "knucks" I am not sure about. I know from stories that dad carried the nickle plated ones at a time in his younger life.

These are not that old. They were my every day carry knives. The small Boker at the top was for dress up days. The middle Boker was for normal days. The SOG assisted open I bought but just can't get used to it. I think it is because of too many days carrying a stockman folder.

·
Premium Member
19,971 Posts
Well, I'm old so it figures I would have some old knives. So here goes but don't hit me too hard if I get the details wrong, ha.

This was my grandfathers Boy Scout knife. I think the acorn badge indicates it was Remington made. He was born in 1887 so we can guess he got this when was say 12 years old which puts this knife at say 1899?
View attachment 250019

These two knives were carried by my father. The oldest is a KaBar that I bought for his birthday in 1950 at Columbus Hardware. The other one is a Boker. I took him back to Columbus Hardware and told the clerk the story of the KaBar and said I wanted to buy him a new knife that would last him for another 50 years. He sold me the German made Boker and dad carried that until his death.
View attachment 250021

Here are a couple more in the collection. The long bladed knife I am told was called a pharmacist's knife. Dad used it to filet fish. You could put a viciously sharp edge on it. The other one in the picture I have no idea where it came from or it's history. I looks like a cheap boy's knife.
View attachment 250022

Here are some of the knives that are in the gun safe. The "Electrician's knife" ??? I carried in my turn out clothing on the fire dept. The old single blade with the curved handle dad carried before I got him the KaBar. The "knucks" I am not sure about. I know from stories that dad carried the nickle plated ones at a time in his younger life.
View attachment 250024

These are not that old. They were my every day carry knives. The small Boker at the top was for dress up days. The middle Boker was for normal days. The SOG assisted open I bought but just can't get used to it. I think it is because of too many days carrying a stockman folder.
View attachment 250025
Wow great display Todd. And you are right you have some really old and interesting knives! For a while there i was expecting to see one with a portrait of a caveman engraved on one.:)

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Wow great display Todd. And you are right you have some really old and interesting knives! For a while there i was expecting to see one with a portrait of a caveman engraved on one.:)
Yea, I was needing to scrap the hide on a buffalo and I broke my flint knife while trying to knapp a new edge.😁

·
Registered
237 Posts
My 1st knife was ordered from Bazooka gum - collect so many wrappers and a few bucks and send it off and they sent me a knife...if only life had stayed that simple. I still got it along with every other knife I've ever bought (well over a 100) traded for or found. My Hen and Rooster 4 blade congress was my worst lost - got confiscated at DFW airport post 9/11

1 - 20 of 42 Posts