olympic arms

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Vladimir, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

oly arms yay or nay? kr16 for like 1k out the door but my dads armorer says nay that qc is bad so resale wont hold... at gun show plz respond fast

2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

i got one and have 2 friends with them no pro's..

that was years ago. if something is changed today i dont know.

3. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

i bought a toy today =DPictures and more info to come tomorrow, I am (and was earlier) posting from my phone while I enjoy some hookah so not easy to make good posts =D

EDIT: Obviously was not enjoying hookah at the gun show- rather was on phone both times =P

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  4. Angryisme

Angryisme Member

hookah?
    water you smokin
    ;)

5. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

Tonight was guavaberry :D. A mix of leftover Guava (excellent) and BlueBlackBerry (crappy).

I say blueblackberry because middle easterners apparently have a hard time with it. It is labeled blueberry but clearly has a blackberry on the box lol. :D

6. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

Gun Show Success: New Toy!

For those who don't care about the story, scroll down to "The Good Stuff" (conveniently outlined in bold :D). Pictures at the very bottom. It's a good story though ;).

So I took the plunge today. Gun Shows are like the antithesis of what I am because I tend to research the crap out of everything and know exactly what I am getting, scout it out, find a good deal, and jump on it. But you never know what you are going to get at a gun show! I had limited time but wanted to hit day 1, I figured in this market the "last day deals" are unlikely, and the only difference will be a smaller stock, so I wanted to hit today even if limited with time.

I jumped around like crazy just checking out every AR I could find. I thought I was completely sold when I found the Kel-Tec SU16D (the "best" version if you ask me) for $650! This is like the going official rate- you look online at auction sites and whatnot... lets just say I was considering bidding $750+ on the same rifle if I didn't find something today- plus with FFL fees and shipping and whatnot :eek:. But then he had some nice looking Olympic Arms, then I found another table with different deals. I spent a long time trying to decide if first, I wanted to go with Olympic Arms. I cam to the conclusion that it is probably a decent rifle, but you do get what you pay for so it is surely entry level. Basic google on my phone proved that was likely the case- time will tell. But they are backed by lifetime warranties.

So I spent a while trying to decide between the SLIGHTLY more expensive one with the removable carry handle. I knew I wanted a flat-top option for the better/more options for expansion, so removable at the least was important. Or I could get the cheaper with no sights whatsoever and plunge a few more bucks in for a red-dot. The guy assured me he had a buddy in back with optics that would hook me up. So after a long time of just sitting there deciding if I wanted to take the plunge I did! (Some may have seen my frantic post after one of the range masters for the Seattle Police told me to stay away from Oly Arms!)

His buddy ended up having no red-dots (the silly guy didn't bring any!). But he cut me a deal on a display model, and I decided to cave and buy a scope since he said he would cut me a deal on buying both.

----------- The Good Stuff -----------

Anyway I came home with some fun toys :D

* I am the proud new owner of a brand new Olympic Arms K16 .223 flat-top with collapsible stock. I stocked up on 3 mags (paid $12 for the two extra!) Purchased a local (Olympia WA) dealer, backed by both the Oly Arms lifetime warranty, and the store's own warranty that they assured me was good :rolleyes:. (Paid about $950 out the door) Oh also came with a nice case, maybe that is standard though.

* Osprey International 4x32 Scope

* Osprey International Red-Dot

The red dot was missing all the packaging being a display model so I don't know what it is, but I think it is this one. He cut me a deal of $80 out the door on both the red dot and the scope :eek:!

Also: bought 100rds of PMC 223, never heard of it (remember I am a pistol guy) but Oly Arms actually lists it as one of the ammunitions they recommend for breaking-in based on "positive customer and staff feedback".

----- More Story -----

Now I just have to start this break in process- Oly Arms recommends what seems like a ridiculous procedure but who knows since I know nothing about ARs! (It was sort of nice to be able to admit to everyone at the gun show that I knew nothing about ARs, no temptation to pretend like I knew what I was talking about!).

Something like clean the barrell after every round for 25 rounds, then jump to after every 3 rds for another 25rds or something like that (obviously not exact). That could be a lot of work since I can't shoot at home lol. Lots of range time I guess, bad part of that is that I may not get to shoot it for a month or two until I am at the parents house.

I'm pretty excited, I am actually really tempted to go back on Sunday and just browse since I had no time to do so today, and maybe plunge on that SU16 if it is still around- $650, I could net a profit it selling it online if I didn't even want to TRY and pay it off on the credit card :D.

Now I have to figure out how to break it to my mom. My dad knows, but advises against telling the mom for a while. But I just have to put pictures up on my Facebook and then she will see, and I'm not keen on lying (at his advice I assured her I bought nothing today :().

Also in exciting news... spent the evening at a friends farm out in Elk (for you local boys) and got to fire my first shotgun! Only put two through the double-barrel style out into the woods, but it was a hoot! I gotta give pigeon shooting a try sometime now!

----- PICTURES -----

[​IMG]
    Setup in the case, came with case, 1 of the mags and "sling"

[​IMG]
    One side (color not so good meh)

[​IMG]
    Flip Side (color, meh)

[​IMG]
    Shot of the optics

[​IMG]
    'Nother shot of the optics

[​IMG]
    The collection minus the Springfield .22 that is at the parents'

EDIT: Be honest, tell me what you think. I would like to think I got a good deal, but don't be afraid to tell me if I got a garbage rifle. Actually please do if I did so I can return it :D

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  7. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Re: Gun Show Success: New Toy!

That looks like awesome good fun! Congratulations, Vladimir.

Maybe you'll end up getting a shotgun one day as well?

8. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Re: Gun Show Success: New Toy!

Great pics! Great story! Ya gotta love it, when it comes together just right!

9. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

10. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Check your link, dude.

Oh, and it looks like a good rifle to me, though I don't really know much about ARs either. My only experience is with a Colt that a good friend has owned since the early 90s.

11. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I talked to several dealers that dealt with a number of black gun brands and they all said Olympic Arms was very good. The one they said to stay away from was Armalite. Looks like you have a nice set up.

12. kingcuke

kingcuke Member

From OA's web site on break in. http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?Itemid=42&id=10&option=com_content&task=view

Fire, Clean, Treat, Lubricate and Fire Method

1. Clean the barrel well.
    * Make sure the patches come out clean and white.
    * Use the cleaner of your choice (do not use ammonia-based cleaners). Use of a lead or copper solvent is okay.
    * Make sure you have the barrel cleaned and neutralized in the bore.
    * Apply the lubricant-bore treatment.
    * Dry the bore with a clean dry patch.
    * Use the quality ammunition of your choice and fire ONE round.
    2. Repeat Step 1 for the next 24 rounds.
    3. At round 25, repeat Step 1. Change from firing ONE round to THREE.
    4. Repeat Step 3 until you have fired 50 rounds total.
    5. At round 51, repeat Step 1. Change from firing THREE rounds to FIVE.
    6. Repeat Step 5 until you have fired 100 rounds total.
    7. After firing 100 rounds total clean and treat the bore as in Step 1, then fire for a group. Your barrel is now broken in.

You may choose to use another method if you wish. Again, if you do choose a different method, or choose to accelerate the process this does not void your warranty. We do not recommend lapping of the barrel.

I've got a Rock River AR that allegedly didn't need to be broken in, but I did anyhow. It is a pita, but a boresnake makes it easier.

13. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Congrats! They are fun. :D

But, you WILL go through ammo very quickly, so be prepared for that.

I picked up 1,000 rounds of 5.56 at our local show last weekend, for $400.

Is yours chambered for 5.56 or is it a .223?

If it's a 5.56, you can shoot both calibres through it. If it's .223, don't shoot the 5.56 through it. Danger!

14. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Congratulations Vlad!!!

I feel the same way you do about gun shows. I research the crap out of things too (makes it really hard for my wife to buy gifts for me) and don't like the hurried atmosphere at gun shows. I prefer to look and browse for a long time and at the last few local shows here, it's been so crowded and such a buying frenzy that you can't even get close to the tables to look. It mainly consists of people shoving their way to the front, slapping down a few hundred and walking away with who-knows-what. After the last one I kind of decided that I much prefer shopping online and then going to a shop to actually handle what I'm looking at.

PMC is good stuff. Korean manufactured. I consider it to be relatively low grade ammo, but it's a step above Wolf (brass cased instead of steel / cleaner) and good for plinking. It seems to be loaded to lower pressures than some of the other stuff I've tried, but it will be great for your "break-in".

Oh, and the break in procedure they recommended isn't really necessary, but it won't hurt anything. I did something similar with my XCR (though only ran a patch every 5 rounds instead of every 1).

15. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Is wolf brand ammo no good? I just ordered a Saiga .223 and had thought about ordering a 1000 rds of wolf for it...it's so much cheaper.