The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With winter coming on, I'm thinking about spending time in my shop with a few new projects. I like to reserve that time for at least a couple of firearms.

As I may have mentioned, I am not a gunsmith. I do, however, have a fairly well appointed shop in my basement, and have decent metal and woodworking skills.

What I look for, are firearms that are basket cases with decent bones. I'm not too interested in cheaply made guns, but quality stuff that's been neglected.

For example, I picked up a 15 gauge W.Ellis SXS percussion shotgun, made in London sometime around 1850-1860. A quality gun, but worth $60 when I bought it. A total wreck. Broken stock, rust/pitting everywhere, checkering gone, back action side locks that didn't work, bent hammers, the list was even longer.

Long story short, I fixed everything including sleeving the barrels, which I'd never attempted before.

Brown Wood Triangle Tints and shades Shade

Brown Wood Musical instrument Bumper Automotive exterior

· Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With winter coming on, I'm thinking about spending time in my shop with a few new projects. I like to reserve that time for at least a couple of firearms.

As I may have mentioned, I am not a gunsmith. I do, however, have a fairly well appointed shop in my basement, and have decent metal and woodworking skills.

What I look for, are firearms that are basket cases with decent bones. I'm not too interested in cheaply made guns, but quality stuff that's been neglected.

For example, I picked up a 15 gauge W.Ellis SXS percussion shotgun, made in London sometime around 1850-1860. A quality gun, but worth $60 when I bought it. A total wreck. Broken stock, rust/pitting everywhere, checkering gone, back action side locks that didn't work, bent hammers, the list was even longer.

Long story short, I fixed everything including sleeving the barrels, which I'd never attempted before.

View attachment 285805
View attachment 285806
That's a real sweet job you did ! Darn nice looking ! You got a before pic or like me forget till half way done ?
Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Wood stain

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

Wood Flooring Floor Road surface Asphalt

Wood Textile Sleeve Grey Headgear

Brown Window Wood Door Wall

Wood Office supplies Tints and shades Writing implement Metal

Plant Window Wood Tints and shades Jewellery

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper Wood

Wood Composite material Metal Tints and shades Concrete

· TFF Chaplain
23,860 Posts
Very nice workmanship. You did very well on that project.

· Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I may have found my winter project (I'll know in five days when the online auction concludes.) It's an over/under .410/.22lr combo gun. It was made in the 1930's by a local gun maker by the name of Selby Webb.

Webb apparently made fewer than 200 guns in his lifetime, and specialized in single action revolvers. He was born in the 1860's and died in the 1950's. It's pretty cool because this firearm was made about 16 miles down the road.

It's rough, but apparently has good bores, and it's all there. Wish me luck!
Art Painting Event Visual arts History

· TFF Chaplain
23,860 Posts
It's rough, but apparently has good bores, and it's all there. Wish me luck!
Show us before and after pictures, and if you can, pictures while it's in the works.

· Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welp, no luck with the auction that I was participating in. The Webb combination .410/.22 went for well north of $700. Way too much money for a gun that needed that much work. Granted, it was a rare firearm, but still...

My backup basket case was a Hopkins & Allen falling block 12 ga. with a 2 1/2" chamber. No luck there either. It went for almost $500.

Disappointing, but it's kind of fun at the same time.

· TFF Chaplain
23,860 Posts
Keep your eyes open. No telling what treasures in disguise will show up.

Reactions: LimberJoe
1 - 20 of 20 Posts