The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I saw this yesterday for the first time. He is one lucky guy.

Now he said he’s going to continue to shoot firearms, but I’m sure he’s going to have to get over flinching.

Also saw video today were the narrator brought up an interesting point in that the guy from Kentucky Ballistics should had not posted the video because it will live in infamy on YouTube in gun mishaps video compilations, and these types of videos never tell why something happened and he will be ridiculed and made fun of.

·
Super Moderator
28,373 Posts
Wow!
What is a SLAP round?
It's obvious that something went bad; but I'm thinking that this is a bit over dramatized. At least I know that if my juggler vein is severed, I can just stick my thumb in there and be able to take an ambulance ride and life star flight and still survive.

DRAMA QUEEN!!!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
SLAP=Saboted Light Armor Penetrator

I have one 50 BMG SLAP and one 7.62x51 SLAP in my cartridge collection.

The SLAP is a sub caliber tungsten projectile held in a polycarbonate sabot with a muzzle velocity of 4,000 FPS from a 28” barrel. It is a very fast projectile with a high sectional density so it will retain its velocity to deliver high impact energy out to 1,000 yards to penetrate light armor vehicles. The U.S. Military uses the SLAP, which was developed by Winchester and Olin.

M903 (standard SLAP)

I did notice that the sabot in SLAP cartridge the guy in the video was colored red. This is tracer SLAP.

M962 (tracer SLAP)

·
DEPLORABLE member
1,987 Posts
The new poster child for why you should reload.

Glad he didn't die, but this KABOOM is all on him. If he's smart - he won't shoot surplus ammunition w/o pulling the round & verify the charge.

S*R

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Wow. Scott is one lucky guy to have survived that.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Real simple,don't shoot exotic collector rounds(75$each)...esp military----you have really no idea where these rounds have been sitting around for 20+yrs...These are'nt rounds that have been in a basement or someones closet....they've been all over the world in various storage conditions...which is why they warn you not to shoot them.

·
GUNZILLA
7,228 Posts
Yes he is lucky, I saw the video about a week ago, but if he continues to make bad decisions he may use out his 9 lives. He already knew the rounds were not shooting right.

·
Premium Member
13,281 Posts
Real simple,don't shoot exotic collector rounds(75$each)...esp military----you have really no idea where these rounds have been sitting around for 20+yrs...These are'nt rounds that have been in a basement or someones closet....they've been all over the world in various storage conditions...which is why they warn you not to shoot them.
They may also be rounds purposely loaded with PETN, RDX, or some other KABOOM! ingredient and planted in a combat zone for the enemy to scavenge and attempt to use. I do know this has been done with mortar rounds and 7.62x39mm.

·
GUNZILLA
7,228 Posts
I'm thinking that this is a bit over dramatized.
I agree, he wants to be Hollywood. You can survive a cut to the external or anterior jugular as they are smaller veins , totally different if the internal jugular is involved especially the right side as it is the larger vein. Depending on the injury exsanguination can occur within 5 minutes if pressure is not applied. The internal you could bleed out in a minute.

·
Premium Member
19,978 Posts
What a lucky guy he is.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Regardless of his poor choice to shoot questionable ammo for the sake of entertainment, he really is VERY lucky to be alive. Bleeding like he was and fighting a punctured lung is some pretty serious stuff.

I gotta admit, I liked the t-shirt though. 👍

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I saw both videos. I am glad that he wasn't more seriously injured. I do however question how that gun was manufactured. A threaded breechblock with firing pin and two, to my way of thinking, very small lugs backing that block up. To me it was an obvious detonation that caused the destruction and mayhem. If the breech block had been made with proper locking lugs it might not have blown back in his face. 85k chamber pressure is massive, but the rifle should have been built to take 100K or more. Over designing and over building would have prevented this incident.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts