One proud Papaw!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Just One Shot, May 13, 2009.

1. Just One Shot

Just One Shot Member

I took my oldest grand daughter (Justis-born on the 4th of July) to the range last night for her first shooting lesson.

She has been having trouble at school getting along with other students so my wife and I thought we should get her involved in shooting so I can have the opportunity to strengthen our relationship.

My prayer is to get her to trust me enough to open up about her problems so I can guide her through them in a way that prevents her from lashing out at those around her.

Our range offers a .22 rifle shoot free to youth on Tues. nights every year through the spring - summer months.

They set up the standard 50' target with 11 circles. The center is to sight in the rifle then the kids get 3 shots apiece on the other ten for qualification for different medals.

Justis' very first shot ever was a 9 just missing the 10 ring by about 1/8". After sighting the rifle she went on to score a 233 (23.3 avg.) on the 10 qualifying targets. Her high was a 28 10+9+9 (out of a possible 30) and her low was a 21!

She was able to check off 2 boxes on her NRA qualification sheet on the first day of ever shooting a rifle! She out scored many of the boys who had started the week before.

Needless to say she is very excited and looking forward to returning next week. She wouldn't allow me to bring her target to work and show it off because she wanted to take it to school and show all her friends.
    :D

On the way home I praised her highly and told her how proud I was of her, she responded with a thank you and a big smile. I hope that this is the beginning of something special in her life and the discipline of the shooting sport carrys over to other areas of her life!

Thanks for allowing a very proud grandpa the opportunity to boast.
    :cool:

2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

That's excellent! Go Justis!!

3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Wonderful to read, you really are one of the good guys. She is as lucky to have you as you are to have her.

4. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

I have had similar experiences with my step grandsons. This past Saturday we had all of my son's family and in-laws over for a cookout. We would up with the grandsons and their cousins in my workshop shooting a pellet rifle. Two of the boys have had Jr ROTC so have had training beyond my megar scope. All show a definate knack for shooting. They already knew how to have fun.

5. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

OMG Just one shot!! She did fantastic. I hope she doesn't get into trouble taking the target to school. A lot of schools are this "zero tolorence" policy on guns and anything gun related. I think it is BS.

My grand daughter is a few years off frm being old enough to go sooting with me but once she is and if she wants to go she is welcome and encouraged to go along with me. You are a good man for the interest you show in your grand child.

Jeff

6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing. A few weeks ago, my Granddaughter drew a picture of someone holding a sword and one of the teachers called me to ask if everything was OK at home and if anything was troubling her. I basically told the lady that it was a stupid question. There was nothing wrong with a nine year old drawing a picture of a sword.

7. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

When I first started shooting those targets, I figured I was doing well to hit the black. Then this Soph. girl comes in and his 2 9s and the remainder 10s. She was shooting offhand. I still can't shoot that well 45 years later sitting on my back porch. Story of my life. My hats off to your daughter one shot.

8. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

Wow what an awesome story!!! You got her hooked now, don’t let her down. Lol
    You forgot to mention how old she is.?.?

Even she did get in trouble in school for having the target, there is still a bright side. It will open her eyes to the harsh reality of how nasty, nonsensical and anti constitutional liberals are.

9. Just One Shot

Just One Shot Member

She's 12 and I hope she sticks with it. If she does I may sign her up for our ranges junior trap shoot coming up in June.

These junior shoots are totally free, they supply the targets, guns, ammo and training to try and get the next generation of Americans interested in the shooting sport so they can carry on our proud firearms tradition.

10. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Sounds like you belong to a really good range. Where in OH is this range?

11. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride Active Member

I can see it now.... Christmas morning @ Papaw's... a new Trap-grade Browning SG under the tree!! :) (when she's old enough ;))

Sounds like you're grooming a future "Ace shooter"!! Way to go!!! :D:D

SR

12. Just One Shot

Just One Shot Member

It's the Sabres gun club and it's located in Lima, Ohio.

The membership cost $50.00 a year with pretty much unlimited daytime access unless there's a special shoot going on, on the range you want to shoot.

There's 3 trap houses (only used for club events but you can take your own launcher), a 200 yd. and 300 yd. rifle range, and 2 pistol ranges (1 - 50 yds. and 1 - 25 yds.)

13. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Can she take targets to school?:eek:

OH.... The Humanity!.......:rolleyes:

Great job gramps!:cool: