The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting on at least one of my days off every week for the last year.I can't find any ammo anywhere.I shoot mostly 22's but much less of the center fire stuff.There are now bricks of 22 for over $100 dollars or more online.When is this going to end.This is starting to bum me out!

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
be patient grasshoppa

and when this is over, let this be a reminder for the future

This IS the new normal

a lull followed by a panic, followed by a lull and then a panic

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You KNOW you have to baptise the new rifle, you can spare a few rounds for that!

Meanwhile, get to Walmart early in the morning to see if any ammo came on the night truck. I've been lucky doing that.

·
Premium Member
19,872 Posts
My gun shop today had 22 500 remington for $29. Thats pretty high but I bought it anyway. They had Magtech 9 mil for $21 a box and I bought 2. My son grabbed the last box of 9. They had cases of steel case 9 mil. I never used that before and don't want to mess up my guns.

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,735 Posts
The last I got at Walmart was 3 weeks ago, Fed Automatch 325 rounds for 13.76 as best I remember. That is the same price as 6 months ago

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I am seeing more .22LR available...but priced about 15 cents per round

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
You KNOW you have to baptise the new rifle, you can spare a few rounds for that!

Meanwhile, get to Walmart early in the morning to see if any ammo came on the night truck. I've been lucky doing that.
oh yeah, not a problem

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
22 Is coming back around. In the past few weeks I have been able to get a few thousand rounds. It is a little higher than 6 months ago but far from gouger prices. The federal target match 325 boxes were 20 bucks. When none is to be had I figured it was a fair price. With 22 being the only gun I am able to shoot right now because of my shoulders and other problems. I welcomed it at 20 a box.

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
I hate the idea of having to shoot whatever ammo I can find instead of choosing the brand my .22's like.I was wanting to buy an older Mossberg target rifle but now I don't know if I can only shoot plinking ammo thru it. Maybe I'll buy a new Daisy Red Ryder. This sucks. JOE

·
Registered
314 Posts
In the past when we shot up to 500rds of every caliber we took to the range with 3 or 4 of us shooting at the sametime when we got home I ordered double In the amount we shot. This way I was way ahead of ammo In my stash. Today I been buying up the 22cal shorts and 22 WMR. When I can find it of course. I do make sure the 22 rifles I purchase an shoot the 22 shorts, longs & long rifle bullets too. I'm not worried as much as me having ammo to shoot its my kids being able to shoot in there lifetime so it will be affordable and available for them too. I'd like to see them carry on long after I'm gone with the toys I leave for them.

Enough said I would buy the replacement ammo first before I shoot my stash right now so I'm sure I have it in-house for future trips to the range. I been thru every ammo shortage since the first Chinese import of the 7,62x39 was halted. I have learned since then to buy when it's availiable and affordable. Remember when it comes back and the price dropped the new ammo tax will kick in.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi guys!
If you have a smart phone, you can download wal-mart's app. Do a search for 22lr and you should see options and the ability to search local stores for stock. If it says in stock at 10pm, show up the next morning to try and obtain the ammo. Quantities are still limited, so don't be surprised if you see other people when you get there. Good luck!

·
Registered
224 Posts
It's easy to for me to get 22 lr. I got the iPhone app for walmart and you wake up early in the morning, check the app to see if its in stock, and head on over to walmart. I have over 3000 rounds now :)

·
Premium Member
19,872 Posts
It's easy to for me to get 22 lr. I got the iPhone app for walmart and you wake up early in the morning, check the app to see if its in stock, and head on over to walmart. I have over 3000 rounds now :)
I tried the Walmart app. It will say in stock and I go there and they have none. I live real close so I can get there fast.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I tried the Walmart app. It will say in stock and I go there and they have none. I live real close so I can get there fast.
Sometimes it's in the truck and they have to offload it or its in the back. Also sometimes the workers might hide the ammo for their buddies so you gotta get the manager sometimes.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Even more available now. I got 6000 rounds of Winchester M22 black copper tip for 50 dollars a thousand this week. Walmart has had all pistil ammo except 44 magnum.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Even more available now. I got 6000 rounds of Winchester M22 black copper tip for 50 dollars a thousand this week. Walmart has had all pistil ammo except 44 magnum.
NICE!
And that ammo is good shooting ammo from what I've shot of it.
Shoots good and accurate in about every .22LR firearm I've tried it out in from the ones I own.
As far as "pests" around the house/buildings, they act like FMJ when a well placed body/head shot is made.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
...haven't done enough target practice to put the ammo through it's paces to see how the bullet reacts on certain targets, as far as expansion, etc..

·
Premium Member
19,872 Posts
22 is not here yet but we have 44 mag everywhere. Cabela's had it online for $33 a box of 50 on sale last week. The Hearters rounds. They work well in my Ruger SA and my Marlin 1894

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I reload like most on here, but ya have to buy 22's. I bought a bunch of 22 LR back around 1990; haven't even thought about buying anymore since, same with .556. I'll never run out, my grandkids will never run out either. I forget what I paid for the 22s way back then, but it would make ya sick at today's prices. I remember the Q3131 white box Win was $179/thou and the wifey didn't think it was such a great deal back then, but I still have most of it and it still goes bang. I wonder how long the 22's will last before they go bad, if they ever do? I don't shoot a couple thousand 22 rounds/ year. Mostly at rabbits & wood floating down the river. People can whatever they want to, I don't regret stocking up back in the 1990s.

Thing is, if we ever do come outta this ammo availability nightmare and if the govt doesn't stop the sale of most lead ammo which I really believe they are trying to accomplish; everybody better stock up on everything no matter if the prices seem higher than they should be. Down the road you don't want or your kids don't want to be repeating the last couple years all over again and only YOU are responsible for that possible problem. Reality of the real world.

We have a bunch of Indians where we live. Many of those guys spend all their money on alcohol, just can't help it; genocide killing them off one by one, sad. They really do live entirely off what the land provides too. They run outta bullets, they go begging or hungry, or eat fish 24/7. Vast majority of them don't have a box or two of shells to their name, story of their lives. I reload a few hundred rounds for my Indian Friends every season, all they give me is the brass and I do this to repay the sharing they have given me over the years; pretty good bunch of people. None of us White People need to be in that position; we're better than that.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts