The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
over the last couple of month or so i have been OCing my XD45 with a black drop holster everywhere i can(and CCing with an IWB holster when i can't, of course). my previous OC holster was the cheap plastic holster that ships with all XD models.

i was a little wary carrying this way in public at first, wondering if the first person who saw me with a "military style" holster outside of a gun show would call the cops and bring a SWAT team down on me, but so far the only negative attention i've received was from a guy at my Church who also open carries, he said he "felt threatened" and didn't like my "militant attitude" which you apparently must have if you carry or wear anything remotely "military style".

so now on to the advantages of a drop holster over a belt holster:

- when sitting in an armchair your weapon doesn't dig into your side
- when sitting and/or driving your weapon is much more easily accessible
- when dis/arming in public, you just have to hit two releases, and the whole holster comes off, without you having your hands all over the weapon, which can help reduce the nervousness of any nearby LEOs
- more models of drop holster have a built-in pouch to hold an extra mag, thus removing the necessity of carrying your extra mag in another pouch on your belt or in your pocket
- it is harder for someone to disarm you from behind, as they have to bend over to take your weapon, thus granting your a height advantage in the scuffle to come, not to mention the perfect position to put them in a headlock
- reaching up to your belt to draw your weapon puts you off balance, whereas reaching down to your drop holster naturally puts you in a more tactically sound fighting position, as well as lowers your profile making your a smaller target.

just something for y'all to think about :)

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
One big disadvantage of a drop holster is weapon retention. With that type of holster it is harder to keep your weapon on you if somebody tries to grab it from you, whereas with a belt holster you can use your rib cage and elbow to assist with retention.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One big disadvantage of a drop holster is weapon retention. With that type of holster it is harder to keep your weapon on you if somebody tries to grab it from you, whereas with a belt holster you can use your rib cage and elbow to assist with retention.
actually quite the opposite:

- it is harder for someone to disarm you from behind, as they have to bend over to take your weapon, thus granting your a height advantage in the scuffle to come, not to mention the perfect position to put them in a headlock
you natural reaction when someone grabs the weapon when it's in a belt holster is to also grab for the weapon, especially if they approach from behind.

BADGUY: places his right hand on your weapon
YOU: place your right hand on your weapon
BADGUY: shifts grip to your wrist, flat of left hand on your shoulder; pulls your right arm back and pushes shoulder forward simultaneously
YOU: should is dislocated, badguy now has your weapon and you crippled.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Good points on the Drop holster and well said.
I actually got used to the Paddle Holster(Foubus) with the Glock.
Holds it in tight and a bit harder for anyone but myself to draw.

Less of coarse given the above scenario in which case it could turn bad real fast.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I love a drop holster and sometimes carry on the range that way. I dont blame you one bit for carrying that way. And kudos for exercising your right to open carry. I long for the day my state passes the law. I may never conceal again.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
No OC in TX either. Would love to see it come back. If it did I might buy a drop holster also, don't need one for carry around the house, which is the only place I can OC.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I much prefer my simple belt holster (IWB) for OCing around throughout the day but anytime I'm out in the woods, I generally have a pack and sometimes a chest rig on so a belt holster would get completely covered up.

here's basically how I see it from my experience:

Belt holster pros; concealable and less obvious (although that may not be a pro), generally more comfortable in most situations, cheaper, more variety of holsters, doesn't get in the way as much in tight spaces, easier to walk with (long hikes, steep terrain)...

Drop leg pros: almost a must have when wearing body armor, better when wearing any kind of pack or butt back, chest rig, etc, sits right where your arm is/less movement to get hands on the weapon, usually offer higher levels of retention than most belt holsters

probably many more... I don't see a whole lot of difference between the two as far as one being easier to disarm than the other; completely dependent on the operator and the design of the holster itself, how it's worn, etc. too many what if's for that scenario.

I own droplegs for all my main pistols; 1911, Glocks, beretta, etc. I just bought a nice brand new beretta 92 safariland 6004 for $80 delivered (amazon.com believe it or not). They normally run $130-$170, half price ain't bad!

Keep calm and carry on!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol mine only cost $15 at the gun show, and so far it holds up admirably. probably my favourite single feature of mine is the extra mag pouch. it only holds one, but i can still carry the 2nd in my pocket, whereas carrying two extra mags in my pocket at once put a strain on the fabric and left some bruises when i had to run any distance.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
actually quite the opposite:

you natural reaction when someone grabs the weapon when it's in a belt holster is to also grab for the weapon, especially if they approach from behind.

BADGUY: places his right hand on your weapon
YOU: place your right hand on your weapon
BADGUY: shifts grip to your wrist, flat of left hand on your shoulder; pulls your right arm back and pushes shoulder forward simultaneously
YOU: should is dislocated, badguy now has your weapon and you crippled.
Right up until this happens...
when dis/arming in public, you just have to hit two releases, and the whole holster comes off, without you having your hands all over the weapon, which can help reduce the nervousness of any nearby LEOs
And my natural reaction if somebody attempts to grab my weapon from behind is to clamp my elbow over it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
To each their own, as no 1 carry method suits everybody. OC is legal where Im at, but not a common sight yet. Unfortunatly, there are too many people that are scared of seeing a firearm on a person. I dont like to bring any unecessary attention to myself. Hopefully, the mindset of the public sheep will eventually change, but for now, we (the gun toters) are often looked upon very warily. So I normally CC instead, and dont do business in places that post the sign. (If they dont support me, I wont support them.) I do like how a dropleg carries, but also agree that i gives off a militant air or appearance, as that is where we commonly see it. But, just as any OC, the more it is seen, the more accustomed to it people will become. We should all OC more (i included) to get people more used to seeing them, regardless of the carry method or style.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
When I got my first permit I used to wear concealed but after I got comfortable carrying the gun I started open carrying most everywhere.I have 3 different holsters.I have a glock combat belt holster which i really like and then I have owb blackhawk holster with the stap over the gun for retention and a blackhawk iwb for conceal carry.I also started open carrying when all this new control crap came about because I want to show support for the 2nd admendment.I havent had one person say anything about it.I was even in a convenience store the other day with a leo getting a pop and he saw it and didnt say a word.I was a little suprised he didnt ask to see permit but he didnt.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Good for you Ryan. There is a complete and total misconception made up in the minds of the liberals about carrying a firearm openly. Enjoy your rights. Exercise them regularly. I long for the day my state passes open carry.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I got my first permit I used to wear concealed but after I got comfortable carrying the gun I started open carrying most everywhere.I have 3 different holsters.I have a glock combat belt holster which i really like and then I have owb blackhawk holster with the stap over the gun for retention and a blackhawk iwb for conceal carry.I also started open carrying when all this new control crap came about because I want to show support for the 2nd admendment.I havent had one person say anything about it.I was even in a convenience store the other day with a leo getting a pop and he saw it and didnt say a word.I was a little suprised he didnt ask to see permit but he didnt.
yeah same here, and also as a kind of public service; get people used to being around guns and they become less scary. the same principle as when your parents made you sleep with the lights off until you got used to the dark.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Good for you Ryan. There is a complete and total misconception made up in the minds of the liberals about carrying a firearm openly. Enjoy your rights. Exercise them regularly. I long for the day my state passes open carry.
I hope your state changes their mind some day.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
yeah same here, and also as a kind of public service; get people used to being around guns and they become less scary. the same principle as when your parents made you sleep with the lights off until you got used to the dark.
exactly. I was talking to one of my freinds one day about the open carry issue and people not being scared of them. He said to me you look like a normal person.I laughed and said Thank you. He said know what I mean is you dont look like a gangbanger and he said that makes a difference.I said oh you wouldnt dare profile people would you.lol I know what hes talking about. What alot of people dont realize is that the gun carrying populace is some of the nicest and caring people youll ever meet. When I carry my gun I carry it with alot of pride and i hold myself to a higher standard when I represent us gun owners and carriers.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
^^ a big 10-Roger, what's the point of having a right if you are scared to exercise it?

OC away and help educate everyone around you. I live in a very liberal state but we have extreme freedom when it comes to guns; OCing even in Seattle will hardly get you even so much as a look, much less cause any problems.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I have a nice drop leg ready and waiting!!

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
TX is trying to fix the OC laws of the state at this time with HB 700. I have been trying to find the status on this bill, but so far I don't know if has been voted on, or simply passed over for now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts