The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In dry fire practice with my 03A3 I really struggle with that stock aperture.

I have no problem with my sights on my Garand, but with my 60 some odd year old eyes, that high thin front blade on the 03 really gets lost in that fuzzy hole, which seems to distort into almost a thin slot and not round hole.

I know smaller holes are desired for accuracy, but I’m wondering if opening it up a little might help my old eyes...I hold no false ideas I might win any match, so good “combat” accuracy I’d be OK with.

Yes I’ve considered trying a thicker shorter front sight, but it seems like it shoots to poa with that high thin “A” sight.

The only thing I can alter from stock in the rules is the size of the aperture.

Has anyone drilled theirs? If so please tell me how you did it and how it worked...

·
Premium Member
14,572 Posts
I have drilled out aperture holes on peep sights but not specifically the 03-A3 but, if I had one and it needed opened up I wouldn't hesitate. Determine what size the existing hole is then go up one size bit at a time until you find what suits you. If you have a 50 piece drill index you shouldn't have any difficulties finding the correct size for you.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
is this a case where [i hope i have this right] put a small hole in a piece of paper and fix it to your shooting glasses.???

rick

·
Premium Member
10,711 Posts
Man, an 03A3 already has quite a large aperture but if ya gots to ya gots to. You ever take a peek through an 1903 Springfield? Now that sucker is small.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
I don't know if a larger hole and keeping that thin front sight would work. My eyes are also old, and a thicker blade would do the trick for me. One thing you might try: wrap a thin piece of electric tape around the front sight blade and see if that helps If it does, you could either make or find a thicker front blade - or you could paste a little JB Weld to thicken the width of the blade. That wouldn't be a permanent alteration - the JB Weld can be removed. I'd try that before I drilled the apeture larger. Just a thought...

Another chirp: a front sight protector really helps with those peep sights. Keeps down the glare and aids in target aquisition. Surplus front sight covers are pretty available and not at all expensive. The standard ones are what the Army used on the 03s and 03A3s, and I think the Marine Corps used one with a fatter/larger hood. Those are rarer and more expensive.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Try blacking the front sight with carbon soot from a lighter. Hold a lighter flame tip, the yellow part of the flame, to the front sight blade. A layer of flat black soot will be deposited making for a high contrast non glare front sight. Wipe it off when finished shooting so as not to get smeared in the rifles case/bag. If you have hood for the front sight, you can leave the soot on it when not shooting the rifle. If the soot gets smudged, wipe it off and reapply a new coating of soot. There is nothing much darker and glare proof the carbon soot. This has been used by competition shooters for centuries. I used to soot the front sight on my IHMSA Unlimited Class handgun.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah we used to blacken our 1911 sights just before each IPSC match, I’ll try that. I know it’s because my eyes are getting old, but I’ve never had trouble with peep sights, and the Garand’s doesn’t bother me, but this one doesn’t “stay round.” Its like a mirage or something, looks almost like an eyelid closing. Like looking through a slot.

But I here you on the thin/high front sight, I think that may be the bigger issue.

I have a couple Remington sight hoods being delivered (hopefully) Monday, I’ll see if they work better, but on the CMP boards a lot of guys claim they don’t work well with the tallest “A” front sight, which I have.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
I had one of the Army-style front sight hoods on my old 1903. It was better than no front sight hood, but it seemed too small. It did block sun glare on the sight post - the glare that makes the sight blade seem even smaller than it is. I never had one, but the USMC style is larger and I'd think better with that sight combination. In any event they do protect the sight blade from being bent or damaged. Unlike the M1917s or the M1 Garands or Carbines, the 1903s don't have any protective "ears" for the front sight blades.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Yeah we used to blacken our 1911 sights just before each IPSC match, I’ll try that. I know it’s because my eyes are getting old, but I’ve never had trouble with peep sights, and the Garand’s doesn’t bother me, but this one doesn’t “stay round.” Its like a mirage or something, looks almost like an eyelid closing. Like looking through a slot.

But I here you on the thin/high front sight, I think that may be the bigger issue.

I have a couple Remington sight hoods being delivered (hopefully) Monday, I’ll see if they work better, but on the CMP boards a lot of guys claim they don’t work well with the tallest “A” front sight, which I have.
You say the image of the aperture looks somewhat oval in shape mite be the angle of your head and eye in relation to the rear sight. The top of the rifles butt stock mite not have enough drop in comb to accommodate you head position your shooting from. Try holding the rifle while standing, which will position your head differently and see if that improves the aperture appearance.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok guys, I smoked it, but not much better if at all. But I tried the tape suggestion and it makes all the difference! Thanks, Jim!

Now where do I find a thicker sight blade? I found replacement blades listed on various sites, but no reference as to thickness, only height, as in A B C etc, and even then not all the time.

Ill have to read the rules again, but do they allow jb weld modified front blades at Camp Perry?

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
I have not checked this out for myself, but I did a search and found "Dan Stone, Illonois" makes a USMC style blade for the 03A3 that is 0.100" wide and CMP legal. The Army standard front sight was 0.050". Just a thought that you might check out for yourself - I know nothing about Dan Stone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try blacking the front sight with carbon soot from a lighter. Hold a lighter flame tip, the yellow part of the flame, to the front sight blade. A layer of flat black soot will be deposited making for a high contrast non glare front sight. Wipe it off when finished shooting so as not to get smeared in the rifles case/bag. If you have hood for the front sight, you can leave the soot on it when not shooting the rifle. If the soot gets smudged, wipe it off and reapply a new coating of soot. There is nothing much darker and glare proof the carbon soot. This has been used by competition shooters for centuries. I used to soot the front sight on my IHMSA Unlimited Class handgun.
Yep, I have carried some of the large kitchen matches in a zip lock bag for years in my range bag just for this purpose, works great!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts