Opinion on CZ-75 pistols.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by AaronW, Nov 17, 2016.

1. AaronW

AaronW Well-Known Member

I love how these look and think this may be my next purchase. Any experience with them good or bad?

howlnmad, flyingtiger85 and dbcooper like this.
  2. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I have the CZ-75 SP01 Shadow Target. Match grade barrel and trigger. Trigger is around 2.75 lbs. Adjustable rear sight with fiber optic front sight.
    Let me tell you, this is one fine pistol and a pleasure to shoot.

Attached Files:

flyingtiger85, dbcooper and AaronW like this.

3. CrookCountyGO

CrookCountyGO Well-Known Member

Aaron, I've been pining for a CZ for a long time and have researched it and read a lot of reviews. I'll be surprised if you get any negative opinions!

howlnmad, Twicepop and dbcooper like this.
  4. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

I have the SPO1 tactical that I use for home defense, love it. I also have several (8) CZ rimfires. Top quality firearms, handguns and long guns.

howlnmad and dbcooper like this.
  5. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The CZ 75b is one of the most copied guns in the world
    There is a reason for this

Look at how the slide sits down into the frame
    It makes it a very stable platform
    My CZ75b is one of my favorite range pistols
    The only take away is that due to how far the slide sits down into the frame there isn't much of it left to grab and manipulate with your hands this can make it difficult if you are someone with large hands like me whereas with a Glock the slide sets fully on the frame and is very easy to manipulate

When I bought mine I looked at a witness and a few other copies but I decided to buy the one that everybody was copying and I'm glad that I did

6. gunnut1215

gunnut1215 Well-Known Member

I believe Big Mak has and carries a CZ-75. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure he just took it on his trip to Florida with him. He has nothing but good praise for them. Maybe you should talk to him, Aaron. Pick his brain and get his experience.

dbcooper likes this.
  7. drec

drec Well-Known Member

I have a couple of clones, one a full size and the other a compact. I like shooting both of them. If I had more money, I'd get the real thing, but that probably isn't going to happen.

8. gunnut1215

gunnut1215 Well-Known Member

Check Bud's Gun Shop. They have a CZ-75BD for $573 and free shipping.

9. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

I think the CZ-75B has a 1911 look to them mostly because of the large beaver tail I guess but not as good as a 1911 trigger of course.The triggers can be fixed to make them a lot better.
    It's one of my prized favorite guns along with my S&W model-66.Those are my top two!

howlnmad, CrookCountyGO and dbcooper like this.
  10. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I am a huge CZ fan, anything CZ, in fact. But for me it started with a CZ75 clone in about 1986. CZ are made in what is now the Czech Republic. CZ was behind the Iron Curtain and products were embargoed here in the USA. So since its introduction in the 1970's you could not get real CZ 75's in the USA until the Iron Curtain fell in the late 1990's. The design is great and many others cloned it. Tanfoglio in Italy and the Israelis and Swiss made clones. Today Tanfoglio makes the Witness CZ clones. Witness clones vary in quality from gun to gun and include not only the 9mm option but a larger 45ACP and 10mm versions. My Witness in 45ACP matches my real CZ97B (45ACP CZ version) but apparently I may have gotten lucky as some others that report here would not agree. The bottom line is buy the real thing, a CZ, not a clone

CZ are the most gun for the least money. They have superior fit and finish but tend to be more tactical than beautiful. They shoot well, are ergonomically mated to my slightly smaller than normal hands, and are extremely well made. The CZ75B double action/single action triggers are hard to make match grade as the reset function in the trigger interferes with normal trigger jobs. But there were drop in trigger parts that make them single action rather than double action with the trigger pull much superior to original (think tactical trigger not match). And most importantly it is an all steel gun!

I highly recommend CZ75B's and the larger version CZ97. Few other guns and certainly no plastic guns even come close.

LDBennett

UncleFudd, howlnmad and rawright54 like this.
  11. CrookCountyGO

CrookCountyGO Well-Known Member

DB raised the one minor concern I've read about the CZ pistols - the low (compared to the axis) profile of the slide. I like the way that looks, and it supposedly helps reduce felt recoil, but the drawback is there is less room to put your fingers to rack the slide. I would guess that this could be easily overcome with training.

howlnmad and dbcooper like this.
  12. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

I have a Rami, the sub compact version. Well made reliable pistol. All metal, I'm sure my great grandchildren will enjoy shooting it if we can keep the Republic that long.

13. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

CZ internals can be made better with a few parts from CZ Custom and Cajun Gun Works. A heavy stiff trigger can be made wonderful.:)

CampingJosh and AaronW like this.
  14. AaronW

AaronW Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the great replies. I think they are the best looking pistols, along with the 1911 and HI Power. If the quality of Czech firearms is like that of Czech beer then I'm sure they are top notch. I have a feeling that I may be putting my Christmas bonus towards one.

15. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

It turns out that because of the design (reset function) you can not eliminate all the over travel. I have not seen anyone tackle that with drop in parts and/or modification of the parts there. The trigger design is unique and the guts are in a removable assembly unlike anyone else's trigger. But who knows? Maybe someone will come up with an over travel fix. For the use (tactical) the trigger is fine even with a little bit of over travel. The trigger pull level can be made totally acceptable and lighter.

LDBennett

AaronW likes this.