The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,727 Posts
Good action but they do have feed issues that are usually mag related. Not the most consistent grouping gun but none of the mini's really are.

· Registered
322 Posts
Had one...found it to be very inaccurate and somewhat unreliable even after loading custom ammo for it, also, the supply of good surplus ammo eventually dried up.....sold it...

· Registered
171 Posts
I used one, it had some issues hitting the primers on the Russian steel ammo hard enough to set them off. About 90% went off without issue, and apparently Wolff makes a more powerful spring to address the primer hitting issues. And the no name mag had feed issues, but the as usual Ruger factory mags functioned flawlessly.

· Registered
1,176 Posts
If you have lots of 7.62x39 laying around, I'd say go for. If you have lots of 7.62x39 AND an SKS laying around, I wouldn't. Don't have a bulk supply of ammo for it right now? I wouldn't bother. But S/S and wood looks goooood on those guns

· Premium Member
14,218 Posts
I'd been considering one several months ago. Already have a 1954 vintage Russian SKS, but figured a Mini-30 might be fun. Stopped by our local shop to see what there was to see. They didn't have any Rugers, but I figured ordering one wouldn't be too big a deal. The gun shop owner said ordering one wasn't any problem at all, but he couldn't recommend it. In fact he went so far as to say he hadn't ordered any Ruger Mini-Anythings recently. Asked him why, and he said their quality control had gone off the tracks lately, particularly as regards metal finishing and part-to-part fit. Guess I'll just stick with my SKS, with which I've had zero problems.

· Banned
45 Posts
If you can get one for a good price and have access to lots of ammo at a good price, then go for it. Otherwise I would not bother.

I own two Ruger Mini 14s. I bought the first in 1979 and its blued. I bought the second in 2001 and its stainless steel. Both have been very reliable using factory magazines. I had trouble with some third party mags. The stainless gun shoots slightly tighter groups than the blued gun. I usually shoot a bit bigger than two inch groups with them at 100 yards from a bench rest. That's my personal limit with iron sights on any gun, so I don't know if the guns are more accurate than that or not. I'd guess not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.