Opinions on Quest Enfields from Gibbs

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/24/02 9:08:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Opinions on Quest Enfields from Gibbs
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    have any of you guys had any experience (shooting or otherwise) with those remanufactured enfields put out by Gibbs??? I kinda like the looks of their 45-70 and that .308 nickel plated (or is it stainless?). They seem reasonable on their pricing. Let me know what you think. Thanks swede
    Wyoming Swede

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/24/02 9:20:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Opinions on Quest Enfields from Gibbs
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'd ordered a few in some time ago and posted a review on the forum here. The .303's are electroless-nickel, military surplus SMLE's with new stocks and buttplates. They had extremely uneven finish with several dark spots showing through. Mechanically good, with nice stocks. Military surplus bores although they claim to hand-pick the bores.

They sold pretty quickly, although I dont think I'm in a hurry to buy more.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/24/02 9:23:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Opinions on Quest Enfields from Gibbs
    I got the same impression from the few I have examined at the gun shows. They look good at a distance, but when you look at them close up, the fit and finish are a bit sloppy, and it looks rather like an ametuerish redo. I guess they took some expedient mass production short cuts - and it shows. Heck - for what you pay for them, I guess it is about what you can expect.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/24/02 9:28:20 pm)
    Thanks guys...I havent seen any up close. Any opinion on the strength of that enfield action in the 45-70?? thanks swede
    Wyoming Swede

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/24/02 9:37:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Opinions on Quest Enfields from Gibbs
    No problem, plenty strong.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/25/02 5:58:26 pm)
    Swede, I'm not sure, but I THINK the .45-70 is not THAT high pressure a round. In fact, I think I read somewhere that factory pressures are kept down on purpose in case somebody shoots them through an old trapdoor...you can load them alot stiffer than factories do, but still aren't too wild with pressures even at max...
    A tiger never changes his spots.