The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Opinions please/ I found what I was looking for.

I would like your opinions. I'm trying to decide what to get or do. My options are buy a complete firearm, my choices being a S&W M&P 15 or a Delton Echo 316 or buy a complete lower and build an AR. What are your opinions / suggestions? Do you have any questions for me. It's use would be for plinking in the near future and possibly buying different caliber upper for hunting in a year or two.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
do you have the necessary tools for building the upper? the lower is easy to build, I would buy a completed upper though.

The S&W has some pretty good reviews.

I'm partial to Olympic arms as they're local but how bouts trying a direct impingement upper from say, Adams Arms?

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Lonewolf and as. My budget is about $900, the lower I washing to use is an lmt its about $400. How much are the complete uppers?

·
Super Moderator
41,383 Posts
I did some trading for a SOTA upper with quad rails a couple of months ago. I was going to build a lower but my LGS owner convinced me that it was just as cheap and a whole lot easier just to buy a complete lower. I did buy a Rock River Arms lower with a two stage trigger for $299. I didn't like the butt stock on it so bought a Magpul and replaced it. I put an EOTech sight and a 7X magnafier on it, turned in to one heck of a shooter!!

For that $900 you should be able to buy yourself a pretty nice complete rifle if you do some shopping around.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
you can build a lower for as little as about $250, say $300 max. Aero precision forged lowers are around $140 or so, the guts are about $60 and whatever buttstock you can find cheap. Shop around for deals on the lowers, most companies have some pretty rockin' deals now and again.

Uppers are a bit pricier!

But the great thing about AR's is being able to just buy a new upper to have a whole new gun, using one lower for all of them.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The prices here in California are a bit higher than the real world and they have to be California compliant. It's ridiculous I know, but it is what it is. They have a complete LMT lower for $399 and then I can get an upper over the internet, I think. The main problem is I know nothing about black guns, who's good with reasonable prices, who's over priced? I don't have a clue.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like to have a heavy barrel on it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I would like your opinions. I'm trying to decide what to get or do. My options are buy a complete firearm, my choices being a S&W M&P 15 or a Delton Echo 316 or buy a complete lower and build an AR. What are your opinions / suggestions? Do you have any questions for me. It's use would be for plinking in the near future and possibly buying different caliber upper for hunting in a year or two.

Now, when you say 'build', do you mean putting an upper and lower together? Or assembling a stripped lower, and building an upper from scratch? You might be able to shave off some dollars by building one, and if you do it in stages it won't be a bunch a money all at once. A little money would be saved, but not much, especially if you factor in time and, screw ups.

If I go ahead with the former above, I would say buy the complete lower and wait for more cash and then buy a upper for plinking, than later hunting. But, if money is a non-issue, go ahead a buy a whole AR; get an upper for hunting.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
oh yeah, forgot about Commyfornia's laws, surprised you can even have an AR ?

I would for certain just buy a complete upper and either build or buy a lower (or a whole gun if you find a good deal). The upper requires a lot of tools to do yourself, tools that will set you back about $400-500 minimum.

Most companies have very good AR's these days, there's so many out there now that they have to stay competative. The big names like Colt, FN, DPMS, Bushmaster and the likes are known goodies but many others have come along and matched, or in many cases surpassed as far as quality and prices.

(just don't buy a plastic one!)

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've read that the upper does take a lot of work to complete. My first choice would be to buy a complete gun, but if I can buy a complete upper and lower for less than a complete one then I would do that. I prefer heavy barrel rifles and really like the look of the flat top with a scope or red dot sight.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've read that the upper does take a lot of work to complete. My first choice would be to buy a complete gun, but if I can buy a complete upper and lower for less than a complete one then I would do that. I prefer heavy barrel rifles and really like the look of the flat top with a scope or red dot sight.
Plenty of manufactures have builds similar to that at a decent price. You could also buy an entry model and add a heavy barrel and flattop upper receiver later.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, After doing some searching on the net I have decided to just buy a complete firearm and add to it as I get money and ideas. I can get a pretty good one for about $600 and a 22 conversion for about $300 and end up with 2 for the price of one. The firearm I'm looking at is a Delton Echo.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GDMoody, I like look of yours, that's the style I like with the quad rail. I can't have a handle on the front though, that makes it illegal in California. I just can't wrap my head around how a handle makes a firearm more dangerous.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
good lord, it's amazing how asinine the CA laws are!

the Delton 316 looks like a nice choice, I've no personal experience with them but they look worthy of a trial for certain.

The quad rail is a must for me, I mount IR laser/surefire light up front on all mine. And like said, you can always use that lower and add other uppers to your collection! .22's, purpose AR's, the sky's the limit. My plan is to build a nice 'kit' of AR's with one lower and a full compliment of uppers. 300 blackout, shorty CQB rig, long range sniping rig and a .22 practice rig all in one.

gotta love modular rifles!

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is the 300 blackout?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
What is the 300 blackout?
oh, man, you need to check it out!

look up the .300 Whisper, it's (one of) the clones of that round. the 300/221 fireball is the other one that mimics the whisper.

basically, you take a 240gn SMK bullet at subsonic velocity and with a suppressor, it's pretty quiet yet carries a decent thump.

lighter bullets and higher velocity are also possible but the purpose was to have a round that was super quiet yet capable. It also is stuffed in a slightly shortened 5.56/.223 case necked up to .30 cal.

tons of cool videos of the things in action on youtube, it's my next AR build after I complete my gas piston 5.56 upper project! The great thing is that it uses stock AR mags and the only difference from a regular AR is the bolt face and barrel. Everything else is the same.

G

·
Can you build a house with logos? Then you can build an ar.

I bought my first one but my next one will be a home built wonder gun.

·
Registered
259 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts