The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now only able to go plinking at the range due to health issues. I have everything I need to reload a few thousand + rounds, but have never started. With the cost of reloading and scarcity of some items I am thinking of getting rid of everything while it is new, since it will be hard to replace once I run out. What are your honest thoughts? Thanks

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Just my opinion...I say get started now and reload and shoot while you can. If you've just recovered to the point of plinking again, what could be better than enjoying your own loads? Supplies are returning, and deals are opening up again. Bulk orders are being filled again, and powders are appearing on shelves. Primers are also returning, but much slower than the other components...but patience and diligent searching pays off. In the past 2 months I've added 5 bricks of Bench Rest small rifle primers and 5 bricks of Large Pistol Primers to my shelves/cabinet. Average price of $80.53. While I'd gladly pay less, this wasn't a terrible toll for the joy I'll get putting these to use. I know others that are paying far more...but I won't...and have proved that one doesn't have to.

Let us know what you decide.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
I am now only able to go plinking at the range due to health issues. I have everything I need to reload a few thousand + rounds, but have never started. With the cost of reloading and scarcity of some items I am thinking of getting rid of everything while it is new, since it will be hard to replace once I run out. What are your honest thoughts? Thanks
You have been a registered member for 11 years, and from your post maybe something along the lines of a medical problem has been affecting you up until this time.
I have some thoughts about selling out your reloading supplies:
1. Do you have Children, Grandchildren that might enjoy learning how to reload from a senior member of the family?

2. Is there a Boy/Girl Scout group in the area that would enjoy learning about reloading and shooting?

3. You mention the Range, I am sure several members would enjoy learning about reloading from an experienced hand.

4. You may enjoy shooting from a new view and provide a valuable talent to others.

If you live long enough you will have health problems, but as long as you are mobile and can impart some knowledge to the next crew you will be adding to the talent pool along with helping people to share in your joy and experience.

Bottom line, do what is best for your sitution, but remember we are a dying breed and the talents and experience will only die with us if not shared.

Larry

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Even if only gun range shooting reloading can help keep you in ammo . Also once you get in the groove of it reloading is a relaxing satisfying hobby . Tweeking your loads to your guns and tracking down that sweet spot for best accuracy . I don't hunt and all my shooting is out on my own property were I have a short range . Even just target shooting a person can burn thru lots of ammo and like was said supplies are coming back . If you do try it and don't think want to stick with it you would lose some money reselling it used but still come out pretty good and what ammo you had reloaded for yourself and shot would put you ahead a little also . My thoughts on reloading is it's not cheaper , you just get to shoot more . More bang for your buck thing . My 2 cents . Just seems you were once pretty interested in it and hate to regret it later selling off your stuff .

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
I would keep the equipment/supplies and learn to reload.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I agree only you have the answer. It does make me sad to hear these stories but now that I am 65 I hear them more frequently from my acquaintances. Although this is a seller’s market be absolutely sure you are done before you sell because reacquiring reloading stuff these days is troublesome.

·
Registered
19,193 Posts
-if- you sell..you get more $ by piece..but it will be easier to sell as a batch.

That said.. If you have enough for a few thousand..it may be plenty for a hobby. Just buy a little here and there..tray of primers at a time..puck up free brass..pound of powder when you see it..box of bullets here and there. It's a fun hobby.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This will Drought will not last forever. Enjoy what you can and wait for better times. Glenn

·
Registered
541 Posts
Get rid of nothing .

You never know what the future holds .

99.9% of the time ... just as soon as you " get rid " of something ... you want / need it back !

You got it , it's paid for ... it ain't eating any hay ... why be in such an all fired hurry to get rid of something ...

If You do get rid of it ... change your mind and want to replace it ... you may not be able to find it and it will double or triple in price .

Trust me on this advice ...
Gary

·
GUNZILLA
9,220 Posts
If your age and medical condition allows it, go ahead and reload. You stated you already have everything to reload "thousand +" rounds. Nothing says you have to do it in one day. I'm very lazy and I like to do my loads in stages. One day I de-prime brass, another day I will clean it, another day I'll full size and trim to length, another day I'll prime the brass and another day I will finish the brass by putting powder and bullet. Do not let the scarcity of supplies deter your reloading, this is something that will pass.

Reactions: soundguy
1 - 16 of 16 Posts