options for a young shooter

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by georgerc, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Jeff Brown

Jeff Brown Well-Known Member

Killed a semi load of pheasants with that Ithaca. I have both barrels for that gun

georgerc likes this.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I introduced guns to my daughter and son. Both took little help from me. My daughter is a natural and she and her husband have safes full of guns with a fair number of her personal choice. My son has a few gun including a nice Ruger over/under, a couple hunting rifles and a couple handguns (and access to any of my guns he wants to shoot). Teaching my grandson was a completely different matter.

We started with soft air pistols and he did all right. We moved to 22 rifles but initially he could not figure out how to use the sights even with extensive help from me. Turned out he was sighting left eye and shooting right handed and flat could not see the front sight. Once we got that straighten out he kind of enjoyed shooting. When he was old enough I moved him to a 10/22 converted to look like a Thompson machine gun which was the only gun he would shoot for a couple years. When he was about 15 he got more inquisitive about guns and wanted to try other guns and calibers. He did like shooting light recoiling rifles like 22 Hornet and is starting to try various handguns and rifles (again light recoiling). During all of this we enrolled him in the JR NRA shooting program. We attended it for over a year but his progress was very slow. Turns out he has a back problem that was enhanced negatively by the shooting position so we dropped the program. He donated his Savage Target rifle to the club’s JR NRA program. He too has access to any of my many guns so the donation was not significant. He also has a CZ 452 Scout but he seems more interested in guns other than bolt guns.

Two of my other grand daughters (my daughters kids) have been shooting since very young but my son’s daughter refused to learn to shoot. That will change soon as she aspires to join the military after High School where she currently is doing ROTC. She loves Archery but she is a couple of centuries too late for that in the military.

The point is every kid is different. Some take to shooting and others not so much. Some learn quick and other take a long time. But if given the opportunity to shoot they seem to eventually come around to shooting. So I have done my part having been instrumental in getting six family members into some degree of liking shooting. At least none of them will be pushing gun control causes.

LDBennett

3. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

I have a 7 year old grandson, and the rifle I chose for him is the Cricket. It will fire one shot at a time, and that's important. You don't want the rifle to be able to fire an unexpected round at any time, and especially if the gun may be pointed in the wrong direction. The stock is short enough for any beginner shooter, nothing to cut down. He shoots off a bench rest, and I have control of the rifle. I started hunting alone at age 9 with a bolt action repeater, and put game on the table. You do not want a semi-auto for a beginner! Either in a pistol, or rifle. I help him shoot a .22 revolver, but I only load one round at a time for him. It's a DA/SA revolver, and I have to cock the hammer back for him. But only when the gun is on a bench rest, and I have complete control of it. Remember that any semi-auto will cycle the slide, not good for young shooters, they tend to get to close to the action. Busted lips, and cuts to the face don't tend to make good shooters!

BobMcG, joe45c, TyeDye1971 and 6 others like this.
  4. Broot

Broot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A Savage Rascal would be perfect, and you can cut the wood stock down if you need to. A Savage MKII is another option, but more expensive. You can put a new stock on, and it had a magazine to load up when the shooter is ready for more rounds.
    Like others, I'd never start a youngster on a semi-auto...especially a handgun.

5. georgerc

georgerc Well-Known Member

the other day the rifle was a Mossberg 715, semiauto, 25 rd mag, not sure what his length of pull is but even mama had a hard time with it, fits me fine thou, I think that one is about 14.5".

I didn't bother getting his own because he did not show an interest at all till just recently, we had no benchrest, standing up, he was bundled up as it was cold, shooting at a dirt mound, had some bottles and ice for targets.

my first thought was a cricket, I have an older bolt action but again its a full size and likely too heavy, same with this one he was shooting, a bit lighter synthetic stock but still I had to support the weight for him, had the but under his arm and against my leg while reaching over him to hold the forearm up, held it as steady as I could and he aimed it, didn't miss much if any.

I tried him on a pellet gun a few years back but again that gun fit me and not him.

as for a 22 revolver I want one regardless, I figured the wife could use it too she's noise sensitive and not too exited about guns, she love to have them look at them play with them but not so much shooting them

joe45c, carver and Broot like this.
  6. Broot

A folding table, lawnchair, and a sandbag ;) Simple and effective.

carver likes this.
  7. georgerc

I'm sure I can set something up for him, I just asked him if he would like his own, he said no, maybe when he gets older, I'll get him one regardless, probably the cricket, and if he grows out of it he can use some of mine, no sense in cutting them, I looked on the classifieds but those single shots are cheap new s why bother, I'm thinking a break open would have been better, easier to load, I'd like one of those combos, but they seem to be unavailable at this time, maybe a 410 barrel to go with the 22?

goofy, carver and Broot like this.
  8. Jeff r

Jeff r Active Member

My 7 year old daughter has recently taken a interest in shooting. (drives my wife nuts) but back to the point I wasn't sure where I should start her off but I got some great ideas from this thread.
    Ps. If you don't see a reply form me it's cause my wife broke my hands ;)

Broot and carver like this.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Soft air handguns, spring powered, cheap....shoot a cans or paper targets.

goofy, Broot and carver like this.
  10. Broot

If you'd like to start her small, a Daisy 105 Buck may be a good starter and costs about $30.

carver likes this.
  11. georgerc

what is the length of pull on a savage rascal? seems it is not listed anywhere?

carver likes this.
  12. Broot

11-1/2" I believe..

carver likes this.
  13. georgerc

I wonder if its all that much better than the cricket, with that accutriger and all, I'll have to look into it, the keystone I believe was 12"

Broot and carver like this.
  14. tedwitt

tedwitt Well-Known Member Supporting Member

22 short rifle.jpg 22 short rifle.jpg
    At Shooters Station in Conroe, Tx. they have a child size 22 semi that is about 30 inches long. Kinda like this one.

joe45c, TyeDye1971 and carver like this.
  15. HVance

HVance Active Member

I'm with Aarond. Nobody is more focused that two kids with a single shot and a 100 round box, trying to out do each other. Rather than making noise or random holes, they are deadly serious, taking it slow and careful. That box will last forever.

Broot likes this.