Orbea

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

obelix2
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/16/01 8:16:09 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Orbea
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SOG is listing an Orbea (one of those Eibar companies, right?) copy of the S&W 1905 hand ejector (M&P). What strikes me as odd, though, is that they claim it's designed for a blackpowder cartridge. This seems unlikely at that late date. Wouldn't it be for either the .38 S&W (don't think so, since they also say it will chamber .38 special) or, more probably, the .38 long colt?

Xracer
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/16/01 9:52:23 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Orbea
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doesn't seem likely that the revolver was designed for .38 Long Colt if a .38 Spl. will fit. .38 LC should fit in a .38 Spl. gun, but not vice-versa. Sort of like the .38 Spl.-.357 magnum thing.

.38 Spl. = 1.55 OAL

.38 LC = 1.32 OAL

obelix2
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/16/01 3:07:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del You're right, technically
    but I have seen Colt 1892, etc., Army Models designed for the .38 LC where the chambers were cut deep enough to accept the .38 special as well, though of course they weren't proofed for that kind of pressure.

Bob In St Louis
    (11/16/01 5:41:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: You're right, technically
    Up into the 1920s a lot of the Spanish Eibar region companies were still manufacturing pistols proofed for the 38 blackpowder cartridge. The reason is that a lot of South American countries militaries and rural police constabularies specified this to be uniform with their older blackpowder cartridge guns. I believe this current lot of Orbea pistols came in from Argentina.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

obelix2
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/16/01 9:14:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del kind of figured that "Eibar" might draw you in
    Any idea how the pressure on the blackpowder cartridge might compare with the .38 LC? And thanks, Bob.

Bob In St Louis
    (11/16/01 9:41:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: kind of figured that "Eibar" might draw you in
    The ammo loadings are a bit outside my realm. You might try asking under the ammo and reloading forum.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Xracer
    (11/17/01 10:22:21 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: kind of figured that "Eibar" might draw you in
    I checked .38 LC in COTW, and no loads are given. It does say, "Black Hills Ammunition has recently reintroduced 38 Long Colt ammunition in response to demands from the Cowboy Action Shooting fraternity."

However, my favorite .38 Spl. target load is a mild one, and should be safe for that gun. 2.5gr of Bullseye with a 125gr SWC bullet sized to .357.